Keeping Baking Soda from Clogging Pipes

By Allison Dey 7 32

Years ago I used baking soda to clean my kitchen sinks and countertops. But then we found out that the washed away soda had over six months become a rock in my kitchen sink pipes. It cost almost $200 to have it snaked out and it broke two of the plumber's snakes before he could break it up.

I've seen advice to use baking soda on this site and I'm wondering how others are avoiding ruining their plumbing. What did I do wrong? I'm practically stingy so I know I didn't use very much at a time. And I'm not the best housekeeper so it wasn't as if I was cleaning constantly...

Allison

Showing: Answers Sort

By Pam Rose 3 Flag

If you are using just baking soda with salt and/or water, it will solidify.

I use baking soda & vinegar. It doesn't take much, about the same of each, sometimes a little more vinegar. The foaming dissolves the baking soda. You also need to run water for a minute or so after it quits foaming to clear everything out. Have used this for 2oyrs. No problems. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda Hug 4 21 Flag

Did you use vinegar with the baking soda? I think vinegar prevents the buildup of the soda. I will put salt down the drain with hot water and that helps keep it flowing too.

coolchinchilla

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

I agree that you need vinegar, too. The two make a chemical reaction that uses up the soda. Make sure to keep putting vinegar in until the fizzing stops.

Susan from ThriftyFun

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Allison didn't say she was cleaning the drains with baking soda, just the sink and counter tops. I wonder if maybe a bit more water to rinse the sink would help next time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Ruth Kennedy 6 208 Flag

Hi used this once too~~soda and vinegar and it fizzed up and then went solid. It scared me cause I didn't want to call a plumber so I used something to dig as much as I could and rinsed it with very hot water and swore I'd never do it again. I'm not sure how other people do it either

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel 10 2,498 Flag

I have used baking soda and vinegar for years with no problems. The key here is to use maybe a tablespoon or two of baking soda followed by however much vinegar it takes until it stops fizzing. Then follow with water.

If you think you have a problem with build up from baking soda, pour vinegar down the drain and listen for the fizzing. Vinegar will remove scale and lime if it sits next to it long enough so pour straight vinegar down the drain and let it sit for 1/2 hour or so before running water through the drain.

Vinegar will help clear drains on its own because it can clear out some of the grease but I think the foaming action of both baking soda and vinegar works the best at breaking up clogs.

Susan from ThriftyFun

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I swear by baking soda and vinegar , used as above. Then after all the fizzing stops run lot hot water down the drain for a few minutes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

This is the first I have EVER, EVER heard of this. My father taught me to use baking soda and vinegar for years when we had serious clogs both to prevent and to clear. The chemical reaction is better than ANY commercial product, cheaper and NOT harmful to the environment.

Are you sure you weren't paid by Drano and Liquid Plummr to post this?

Editor's Note: Make sure you use vinegar until it stops fizzing, otherwise the baking soda can clog your pipes. Baking soda alone is not a good idea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I simply boil water in a couple large stainless steel pots, put a half a cup baking soda in each drain and vinergar in each pot, and then wash it down the drain. Has never given me problems and I know it works because it fizzes up quite a bit.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Hair Clogging Drain
Preventing Clogged Drains
Previous
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 4, 2005
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Man Ready to Deal with Stinky Pipes
Remedies for Stinky Pipes
A frozen outdoor water faucet.
Thawing Frozen Pipes
Frozen faucet.
Keeping Water Pipes from Freezing
Hair Clogging Drain
Preventing Clogged Drains
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:07:57 AM on 10.0.1.208 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings