Removing Adhesive Residue on Skin

Medicated patches, adhesive tape, etc. can leave sticky, hard to remove, residue on your skin. This is a guide about removing adhesive residue on skin.

I have been using spray adhesive for some different crafts lately. I have noticed once it gets on your hands, it is stuck quite well. You can't use rubber gloves, because all you'd do is stick to your project.

Last week, I had been working on a project using spray adhesive. When I went to scrub my hands I couldn't get it off. I used Dawn dish detergent and a scrubby pad, but I still had quite a bit of residue. I found a bottle of lotion and liberally added it to my hands and rubbed it in for about a minute. I washed and rinsed my hands and the residue was gone. Finding this little remedy after battling to get it off made my project much more enjoyable.

By Gem from VA

Top Comment

Mineral Turpentine gets it straight off without much rubbing

Recently I read on this site that Caress soap keeps mosquitoes away, so I went out and bought the bar soap and bath gel. Forget it, it doesn't work on the mosquitoes in Houston! But I started using the bath gel and noticed something unusual. I have to wear trans dermal patches and they're forever leaving adhesive residue marks on me. Well Caress took care of that problem faster than rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, Goo Gone, or Citri Solve ever cleaned that adhesive from my body.

Today I was cleaning and I've had a piece of either PVC or Scotch tape on the window over my kitchen sink that I haven't been able to remove for months, even with rubbing alcohol, etc. listed above. I used Caress bar soap with warm water on a rag, and it worked like a charm, quickly removing the plastic tape part first and then the adhesive - and it left no residue. It's almost a little unnerving to think that something you use to clean yourself also takes adhesive off glass, Oh Well! I'm excited that I found a new way of doing things.

If you try it, would you please post your results? Because I'll bet Caress, bar or gel, will remove grease and oily things too - carpet, clothing, axle grease, cooking grease, spray on degreaser, etc. Maybe I'll even try using some gel to wash my tile floors that give me fits. I'll definitely try the bar soap on stains on my laundry. Will experiment and let you know!

By metroplex from Houston, TX

I had some surgery on a toe and had to use a latex free bandage to wrap it. When I removed the band-aid, I got some of the residue on my thumbnail. I decided to try a drop of baby oil and it came right off.

Any suggestions regarding the removal of adhesive residue left behind when removing transdermal pain patches? I have been using Soft Soap with pumice like auto mechanics use for their hands, but that does not always remove all the adhesive residue without an extreme amount of scrubbing.

Thanks for any advice.

By Stewart R. from Buffalo, NY

Answers

Best Answer

I've used hand sanitizer to remove glue residue. It works really well.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Skin friendly baby oil, mineral oil, and even vegetable or olive oil and, as already mentioned, use a cotton ball ;-)

Best Answer

I use either non acetone nail polish remover or Goo Gone.