Why Am I Getting Bleach Spots On Unbleached Loads?

Can someone help a dumb bachelor? I only use bleach when doing whites in a separate load. I notice periodically a small white bleach stain on an item in later loads of shirts and pants. This obviously ruins the item, and is driving me crazy. This has been happening for years, which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong. And I don't think it's just me, because I'm starting to notice it on others clothes as well. Can someone help. Thanks.

Larry from Clearwater, FL

Same problem! I have decided my current washing machine does not fill enough on the rinse cycle. Therefore it does not wash out the fabric softener or the soap residue. I'm on the verge of getting a different washing machine. I've tried less soap, less fabric softener, no fabric softener - no help. What seems to help the problem is doing a third rinse.

Fischer/Paykel is currently being informed of the problems.

That is why I don't use by bleach dispenser. Sometimes they do not empty completly until a load or two later.

Instead, I fill my washer and add my bleach while it is filling. I let it adgitate about 5 seconds, then I add my whites.

I HAD this same problem, but solved it by washing first a white load with bleach, & the next load I wash is light colors that don't need bleaching, (like light blue, pink, white or light gray) then lastly after I've run the light load through I finally run my dark colors through. Just be sure to run the light load or "cleansing load" through the wash after every bleach load BEFORE you wash any jeans or dark clothes. Of course my machine is over 20 years old, too!

YES! Always add your bleach as or after the water has filled the machine, then lastly after you've agitated the load a bit, THEN add your whites.

* I'd NEVER give up using bleach! How else would I totally disinfect my bath towels, pillow cases or bed sheets? Yes, I know hot water helps (but costs money) as does drying in the Sunshine. But I live in Seattle! (only rain!) So I'll stick to bleach to kill my germs.

I have found that I have simply splashed myself while pouring in the bleach, now I pour into the backside of the washer and hold the bottle neck low into the washer, pouring slowly. Now that I am more careful, I never have bleach spots. It takes awhile for the bleach to discolor your clothes as it is now dilluted with wash water, so you don't notice it till you launder them again. Notice if the bleach stains are usually on the front and or sleeves of clothing, including pants.

As Mary said, you are probably splashing yourself or letting the bleach drip somewhere unnoticeable. Then the clothing comes in contact with the drip or splash and you've got ruined clothing. It's happened to me too and I wondered how in the world it was happening. It's possible that the bleach bottle was set down beside the colored clothing and the clothing rubbed against the bottle. Very frustrating, I know. Probably best thing is to be more careful and to keep the bleach as far away from colored clothing as possible.

I have the same problem and only use color safe bleach on my clothes because of our septic system.

I am starting to think that maybe the Downy that I use is getting on stuff and "bleaching" it. Has anyone heard of this happening?

For awhile it seemed we had that same problem but I began noticing it was only my daughters clothing or bed linens...so I concluded that it had something to do with a type of cologne or lotion she was using and thus getting on her clothes and sheets...and it was acting as a type of bleach when washed. If you'll take note of where on the item these bleached spots are showing up and see if that doesn't make sense in your case.

I like the new splash-less clorox. It's thicker more like a thin gel.. I'm less likely to get it on the outside of the bottle or splash it on the outside of the washer. It's a little more expensive but still a lot cheaper than new clothes!

I have the same problem and only use color safe bleach on my clothes because of our septic system. I am starting to think that maybe the Downy that I use is getting on stuff and "bleaching" it. Has anyone heard of this happening?

You people are TERRIFIC! I definitely wasn't expecting *this* many responses to my stupid question! Thank You! I accidentally stumbled on this site, and am truly amazed!

Will be honest now...so far (knowing my laundry habits) I'm going with, "Mom-from-Missouri's" advice (re: bleach dispenser). Sounds the most plausible. I truly appreciate all your help.

Now...if I just could get one of you to actually come over and *do* the laundry? lol

Thank you Thrifty Fun, also. But just curious now, why I get 3 e-mail alerts for every 1 response? Glitch?

Larry K.

I had this same sort of problem with my son's clothing. It turned out it was the lotion he was using to treat his acne. If this was dotted on his shirts, if he sweated while he had this on and the perspiration ran onto the neck of his teeshirt, or if he wiped his hands on a dark towel after applying it, these items would fade out in the next wash. They did not do so until they were washed, so it was hard to figure out what was causing it. Perhaps there is something you are using that is bleaching the clothes and it has nothing to do with the bleach you are using for your whites.

I noticed that liquid fabric softener will also bleach your colored clothes if it come in contact with them. I now add my laundry detergent and fabric softener while washer is filling, then put my clothes in.

Larry,

My son was having a similar problem with the bleach spots.

Ask him what detergent he was using.

He said "Tide" oh no, he then noticed it was the one with bleach.

Good Looking, Well Educated, Talented and now know the difference in the detergent cap colors.

patti r

Have you tried washing all your dark clothes first and the load you bleach last? Bleach could be getting on your clothes if you have washed them after a bleach load.

Wash bleached stuff last, then run a rinse cycle on the washer. Hope it helps.

Help I have been a stay at home mom for 19 years and want to get back into the work force. Any ideas about resume styles I can use or websites to help. Working at home is an option but haven't found a crdible one, any help would be wonderful Thanks

I get this bleaching too, mostly around the necks of shirts, and I use a sunscreen-lotion on my face. But I also get it elsewhere (like the legs of underwear), and I rarely use _anything_ but the mildest, most natural, non-allergenic lotions or plain oils, like Jojoba and almond. My BF uses the same face lotion sometimes, but his occasional bleaching spreads evenly down his shoulders. I use maybe a liter of bleach in a couple years.

Cyinda - I used to live in Olympia! I used a few drops of Tea Tree Oil in every load to fight the allergens like dust mites and mold, and the dryer is hot enough to kill anything else! (And hydrogen peroxide works very well on stains on whites - haven't tried it with colors.) I _hate_ to endorse brands, but that Tide pen works wonders on almost all stains (even took the yellow off small a blood stain after that H2O2).

Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryApril 14, 2008
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains On Clothing
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎄