Covering Your Walls With Fabric

Will laundry starch hurt wood paneling if you use it to put fabric over the expensive good quality of wood paneling? I do not wish to cut and take it down. The spouse would die before painting it. Fabric covering over 2/3 of wall with chair rail finishing molding would be the solution for faux wainscoting. Light fabric could brighten depressing all over house with brown walls.

I must know if anyone has tried this and had good results without ruining the panels before I jump in there.

By Sherry from OK

I think it would hurt the paneling.

This is a great way to cover up blah walls. I did this on a painted wall and removed it when I sold my house. the faberic starch stays in the fabric and not on the wall, when you remove the fabric it will be stiff from all of the starch. Just wash and use again. Starch is not a glue so your corners might peel away, just reapply more starch.

I am envisioning fabric on the upper half of the wall, with wood paneling on the bottom? Right? Sounds good. Is there some place where you could try a patch of this to see if it sticks and to see what happens to the wood underneath? A painted wall is more durable than some kinds of wall paneling. I would do a test spot first.

Why not use mirrors, light paint on ceiling and light colored carpet and window treatments. You can also use painted screens or art panels hung on the walls. I would not use anything over beautiful wood paneling for fear of ruining the finish. Good luck.

Using Fabric to Cover Walls
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Budget DecoratingOctober 14, 2010
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
cleaning walls
Removing Soot from Walls and Ceiling