Keeping Ants Out Of Hummingbird Feeders

How do I keep ants out of my hummingbird feeders?

By Jerry from Lampasas, TX

Best Answer

I usually will spray the pole I have mine hanging on with vegetable oil spray. They usually won't be able to climb it then.

Best Answer

I spread Vaseline on the hook and up the chain and I also have a ant molt keep it filled with water it should not touch anything close to where the ants can reach the feeder like leaves.

Best Answer

I feed about 300 hummers everyday. I go thru about five gallons of feed a day. Ants and bees are a real problem. I hang all my feeders on sheppard hooks. About one foot up from the ground I use axle grease smeared on the pole for about a foot. Product is about 4ft from the feeders. Axle grease is unaffected by heat so even if it's 105 the grease stays in place. I have red ants, black ants, fire ants, carpenter ants and one I don't have a name for. If you do this be sure to wear throw away gloves. And yes I have a large bee problem. So many they killed one of my dogs. I have another solution for bees but unless they are bad and I mean to where I couldn't go near the feeders without bee gear on good luck. Me, I use a shop vac to knock them down. The bees are being managed and the hummers are happy. Every year my hummers return by the hundreds.

All I can say is WOW! The most that I have ever had is 6 hummers in one season. A male cardinal took on a feeder last year and would not move when

the hummers tried to feed. I just hung more feeders.

Best Answer

I use just a dab of axle grease smeared around the hanger. If you don't have any I'm sure someone you know would be glad to stick some in a baggie for you. The larger the ants the longer the smear. Make sure it goes all the way around the hanger.

Put cooking oil around the top and around the bottom

Hummingbird perched on a feeder.
Keeping Ants Out of the Hummingbird Feeder
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsApril 25, 2011
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
A glass hummingbird feeder.
Making a Hummingbird Feeder
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄