I had a dog that did nothing but destroy the house. My rugs were always covered with urine. The dog has a home now and I know I need to rip up the carpets but what I need to know is how to get the odor out of the wood floor beneath the rug. I know it went through.
I want to get new carpets but need to be rid of the odors first. I heard of the vinegar and I have not tried it yet, but if I do does anyone know the mixture I must use? How much water and vinegar? I have also heard of lemon juice as well. Please help and thanks in advance.
After you remove the carpet and the padding,the urine probably didn't seep through to the wood floor enough to cause it to smell after a good cleaning and drying. It is generally the pad under the carpet that holds the odor. I have used diluted bleach water, After a few moppings of that and allowed to air dry it was fine. I have had dogs in the house for 30 years, the carpet had to go. It is much easier to keep clean with wood, or tile floors. At times the dogs do soak the baseboard and a good cleaning with the diluted bleach water will help there too, It may take couple of times, but it does work.
Had the same problem a few years ago. USE A Mask! But I was told 1 part bleach to four parts water. It will fizz them get the bleach off with hot water. You may need to repeat but it will work if it's not too bad. If the wood has black water spots it's too bad and your going to have to replace the floor.
I had this problem last year after I moved to the East Coast. My cat didn't handle the move well and messed everywhere except his litter box. I tried everything on my wood floors and area rugs that was recommended by a large number of wonderful members of Thriftyfun. Nothing worked completely until I read the hint about Listerine. I believe it was to fill a spray bottle half with Listerine and half with water. I sprayed it wherever he had 'visited' and it worked like a charm without harming my wood floors. After that, I confined him to the bathroom for a few weeks and when he was finally 'paroled', he was cured. Good luck to you. I would caution about using bleach near urine, though. Urine contains ammonia and the combination with bleach can be very dangerous.
We had a rental that was so bad the smell burned your eyes when you walked in. We ripped up the carpet then sprayed the floor with an enzyme digester product from Cleanreport.com. This worked fantastic. Just to be safe, we then painted floor with Kilz. Smell has not returned!!
It's not a good idea to use ammonia to remove pet odors or stains . the problem is , that , to cats the ammonia smells allot like urine and this will continue to urinate in that spot, because, to them that's another toilet location.
This is info provided to me by our vet . ( I have 2 cats : a 30 lb female " COON " Cat and a 12 lb " female Blonde Taby ". )
Tried bleach, sanding, vinegar, and baking soda with not much help, I could still smell it. Finally, I used kilz premium, then painted, & carpeted. No more odor!
My daughter bought a black light flashlight on website Wish. We turned off all the lights in the house and you could see the pee everywhere glowing! It was disgusting but you can see where U need to clean. Sometimes we think we r srubbing it up and really just smearing it all over. I would get that light to focus on cleaning those spots.Works well on walls and carpet as well. Clean until u cant see spots. Try Vinegar Tide and all the things everyone is saying. Then do the black light test again!
This is the very best thing I've seen in my research! I have a cat pee problem on wood laminate for a rental property. Your post will help me know how/where to put my efforts!
Thank you for posting!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!