Scratches on CDs and DVDs

How do I repair or clean scratch marks from a CD without damaging it?

By SOUL POWER from Oakville, Ontario Canada

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

I have 3 ideals thas has help fo me, try (1) lemon pledge furniture polish, or you can use any furniture polish, also (2) peanut butter (3) lotion, wipe straight down, don't use circular motionI hope this help

June 25, 2009 Flag

How do I remove scratches from CDs?

Paul from Vincennes, IN

Answers:

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I have had luck with liquid car wax (I used Turtle Wax). Spread a thin layer on surface with a soft cloth, then remove by wiping from center to outer edge. We restored my son's favorite movie on DVD after he put a huge scratch in it. The scratch is still visible, but the movie doesn't get stuck or skip anymore. (10/16/2007)

By BoilerUpHeather

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Beware: When you are cleaning your CDs or DVDs never rub around like you would with a record album. To clean a CD or DVD, go in a straight line from the hole in the middle to the outside edge. Repeat this action until you have cleaned the whole item. (10/17/2007)

By nancycorinne

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I work at a PC repair shop, and we use the car wax method. Sometimes if the scratches are too deep, nothing works. (10/30/2007)

By AML

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Tried the above suggestion on using gel toothpaste. I had a program CD and was unable to load the program because of several scratches. Tried the gel toothpaste rubbed it lightly and used a soft damp cloth to clean it off. Program loaded and I was able to use it. Thanks for the suggestion and the money I just saved not having to re-purchase the program. (10/29/2008)

By Al H

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 13, 2007 Flag

I was wondering if anyone had a simple way to repair scratches on cd's or dvd's.

luvze

Answers:

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Peanut butter, eye glass cleaner, and coffee filters!

Sounds crazy but it works! Take a quarter size portion of peanut butter rub in with filter, remove and clean with cleaner and another coffee filter and you have your cd's again. I have saved many cd's this way! (07/13/2005)

By jerri_g

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

There is a little "machine" for this. you hold it in your hand...put the disc in it and turn the wheel on it...I think i paid 25 for mine. They have them at a lot of places in the electronics department. I have saved TONS of discs with it. It's more than paid for itself. You might even be able to pick one up at one of the online auction sites.These work well without any mess, it takes only about a minute to repair the disc....and if you have kids, they like to do this chore for you! My daughter just cleaned a bunch of them for me while we were taking a trip this weekend. It occupied her time, and she was doing something productive! (07/13/2005)

By washburn6394

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

You can also go to any music store and up by the register they have a little pack of wipes. The are usually 99¢. Follow directions to a T and it will work. I have two teenagers and we use them and they work. (07/13/2005)

By Michele

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I use toothpaste... apply the tooth paste then let set for 5 minutes then wash off and pat dry with a terry cloth!! Works wonders! (07/25/2005)

By Kristina

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Use a little bit of Brasso or silver polish. It works!

(05/17/2006)

By Adria R.

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I tried the toothpaste and peanut butter one, neither worked. is this only for CD's with light scratches? (06/15/2006)

By Bobby

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

My ex-brother-in-law is a DJ and he said to use toothpaste but you have to make sure it's the GEL kind. Also, if you have a used games/CD store in town, they usually will do it for you (great for deep scratches) the one around here charges $2 which is a lot to me but that's better then having to buy a new CD/DVD (06/15/2006)

By scruggle

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning MiscellaneousJune 25, 2009
Storing CDs
Storing CDs and DVDs
A pile of DVD cases.
Organizing DVDs
Hand with rubber glove holding a DVD
Cleaning CDs and DVDs
Uses for CDs
Uses for CDs
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 1:11:35 AM on 10.0.2.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.