Repairing Scratched CDs and DVDs

Category Other
Sometimes it is possible to repair scratched media disks. There are kits and even some household products that consumers have used with varying success. This is a guide about repairing scratched CDs and DVDs.

Spray the disc with furniture polish then wipe with a soft cloth. This will clean and cover up scratches.

By papow22 from Hondo, Alberta

Top Comment

from: http://forum.di  g-dvd-83320.html

Supplies needed:

- (2) Clean 'lint free' cotton cloth(s) or

- A couple clean paper towels and (1) cotton cloth

- Water

- Non-wax furniture polish (Pledge, Endust, etc)

1) Take a cotton cloth or the paper towels and wet them with water, wring them out thoroughly so they are damp (not wet) and lay it out flat on a clean, solid, flat surface. The idea here is to keep the disc from sliding around the table, and protect the label side from being scratched.

2) Place the DVD upside down, on the paper towel. DVD's are similar to CD's the laser reads the data from the bottom, so this is the surface we want to clean.

3) Follow the directions on the furniture polish label (Shake vigorously, etc). Very lightly spray the furniture polish directly onto the disk, you don't need to coat the whole disk, apply sparingly!

3) Use the clean/dry cotton cloth and lightly rub the polish from center hub to the outer edge of the disk. Advance around the disk and use a fresh area of the cloth as you get halfway. When you've polished the entire disk, find a clean area of the cloth and again lightly rub from center to rim until you've done the whole disk surface.

4) Pick up the disk with a fresh area of the cloth and lightly wipe the label side to dry it. Be careful the disk will be very slippery, don't drop it!

5) Grasp the disk by the edges with your bare hand and take it to your DVD-ROM or burner. (never put your fingers on the surface of the disk, fingerprints can also cause read errors and oils from your skin could damage the clear coating over time)

6) Open the tray of your DVD-ROM or burner and gently place the disk in the tray. Let it sit there for a minute or two to air dry. Don't blow on it, don't wipe up dust from the area, don't smoke near it while the tray is open.

7) Try reading the DVD, see if you can get past the problem area, this procedure should work at least 90% of the time!

How do you repair scratched dvds?

michelled615 from Lebanon, TN

Top Comment

First I wash it with dishwashing liquid-that fixes fingerprints and many other smudgss. Never use solvents that dissolve plastic!

I have used brass polish to repair scratches. Toothpaste is too harsh. Do not polish in a circular motion! polish radially ie stroke from the center out - this is because scratches in the perpendicular direction confuse the reader. Also, a light rubbing with vaseline will smooth it enough to be read. Will try pledge -the wax would act the same way vaseline does.

Even with this, deep scratches or cracks can't be fixed.

To remove scratches from CD's, smear peanut butter on the CD, and wipe clean with a soft cloth or coffee filter. Scratch is gone, and it plays like a charm!

By Momof1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Top Comment

I couldn't believe it but the peanut butter for scratches worked at least for the one I just tried it on. Always remember not to clean CD around in a circle, but wipe from inside to outside of CD.

Spray the entire surface down with Pledge. Wait about 10 - 15 seconds. Wipe of Pledge until the product is completely dry. Something in Pledge smooths over the imperfections making the DVD/CD playable again.

If you have a small scratch in your CDs and don't want to have to have them repaired right away or buy new ones, try this trick. Stick them in the freezer for about five minutes. The cold causes the scratch to contract making the CD usable again.

Does anybody know some good ways of removing scratches from CD's?

Thanks,

Steven S.

Best Answer

CD Repair Kits are available at Wal-Mart and work really well. I had a CD that got paper accidently stuck to the side you play. After removing all of the paper it was very scratched. The kit has evereything you ned to fix the CD and is under $10.00. It is in the section where they sell cd's.

Hey guys, go here and ask here, I think it can help u guys!! = http://windowsxptips.8.forumer.com

I tried the tooth paste which sanded down the deep scratch ( note: use the toothpaste in moderation it barely takes a dab). Toothpaste creates alot of small scratches though to take care of them I put a extremly light glaze of conditioner over the area.

Before attempting to remove a scratch from a cd practice 1st on a junk CD. Perhaps a free sample CD from AOL. Be sure to try and recreate the scratch you are trying to remove.

Is there a way that I can get scratches out of a CD? Please help. Thank you in advance.

By Florida Gal from Spring Hill, FL

Best Answer

Any store (walmart) that sells the cd's,dvds will have a scratch remover product. It comes in a paste or a liquid. It runs around $4

Best Answer

Try your local video rental store. They have resurfacing machines. The store in my town resurfaces them for $2.00 a piece.

Florida Gal,

Here are three websites that may help you fix scratches on CDs:

This link shows the success of various methods of repairing a CD which concludes that Brasso is best.

http://www.burn  cratchrepair.htm

Step by step guide to using Brasso on a CD.

http://www.inst  hey-work-again./

This link is part one of three; the link for the other two parts are at the bottom of the page.

http://www.info  compact_disc.htm

Good Luck,

Bob

I have family that live in Spring Hill, FL.

I've used furniture polish on DVD's. Spray and then wipe in a circular motion until dry. The DVD was so badly scratched that it was worth the risk and it worked beautifully.

How do I repair or clean scratch marks from a CD without damaging it?

By SOUL POWER from Oakville, Ontario Canada

I have 3 ideals thas has help fo me, try (1) lemon pledge furniture polish, or you can use any furniture polish, also (2) peanut butter (3) lotion, wipe straight down, don't use circular motionI hope this help

How do I remove scratches from CDs?

Paul from Vincennes, IN

Answers:

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I have had luck with liquid car wax (I used Turtle Wax). Spread a thin layer on surface with a soft cloth, then remove by wiping from center to outer edge. We restored my son's favorite movie on DVD after he put a huge scratch in it. The scratch is still visible, but the movie doesn't get stuck or skip anymore. (10/16/2007)

By BoilerUpHeather

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Beware: When you are cleaning your CDs or DVDs never rub around like you would with a record album. To clean a CD or DVD, go in a straight line from the hole in the middle to the outside edge. Repeat this action until you have cleaned the whole item. (10/17/2007)

By nancycorinne

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I work at a PC repair shop, and we use the car wax method. Sometimes if the scratches are too deep, nothing works. (10/30/2007)

By AML

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Tried the above suggestion on using gel toothpaste. I had a program CD and was unable to load the program because of several scratches. Tried the gel toothpaste rubbed it lightly and used a soft damp cloth to clean it off. Program loaded and I was able to use it. Thanks for the suggestion and the money I just saved not having to re-purchase the program. (10/29/2008)

By Al H

How can you fix a scratch on a CD?

Judy from Traverse

Answers:

Fixing Scratches on CDs

Starting from inside of the CD working on outwards in a straight line (no circles) you de-scratch it by using a little bit of rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. When you are done it is really clean and the scratches are gone. Now I have never done this, but I saved this info for when I have need of it. (08/04/2006)

By Joan

Fixing Scratches on CDs

I once fixed a lightly scratched CD using a dollop of cleaner for ceramic ranges, carefully applying it with a soft microfiber cloth from the inside center towards the outside edge, gently polishing in straight lines (no circling with the cloth) and wiping the cleaner off again.
This might only work for lighter scratches, since I don't think you can do anything about deeper scratches (08/05/2006)

By Marta Jane

Fixing Scratches on CDs

Also try furniture polish! (08/12/2006)

By Erica

Fixing Scratches on CDs

If you wish to fix a CD scratch the easiest and most effective way is to get clothes washing detergent and dilute it with water. Soak a paper towel in this solution and rub the CD from the center to the edge. You will cause more damage if you try to rub the CD in a circle motion. (09/11/2008)

By rayneman8390

I was wondering if anyone had a simple way to repair scratches on cd's or dvd's.

luvze

Answers:

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Peanut butter, eye glass cleaner, and coffee filters!

Sounds crazy but it works! Take a quarter size portion of peanut butter rub in with filter, remove and clean with cleaner and another coffee filter and you have your cd's again. I have saved many cd's this way! (07/13/2005)

By jerri_g

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

There is a little "machine" for this. you hold it in your hand...put the disc in it and turn the wheel on it...I think i paid 25 for mine. They have them at a lot of places in the electronics department. I have saved TONS of discs with it. It's more than paid for itself. You might even be able to pick one up at one of the online auction sites.These work well without any mess, it takes only about a minute to repair the disc....and if you have kids, they like to do this chore for you! My daughter just cleaned a bunch of them for me while we were taking a trip this weekend. It occupied her time, and she was doing something productive! (07/13/2005)

By washburn6394

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

You can also go to any music store and up by the register they have a little pack of wipes. The are usually 99¢. Follow directions to a T and it will work. I have two teenagers and we use them and they work. (07/13/2005)

By Michele

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I use toothpaste... apply the tooth paste then let set for 5 minutes then wash off and pat dry with a terry cloth!! Works wonders! (07/25/2005)

By Kristina

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

Use a little bit of Brasso or silver polish. It works!

(05/17/2006)

By Adria R.

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

I tried the toothpaste and peanut butter one, neither worked. is this only for CD's with light scratches? (06/15/2006)

By Bobby

Scratches on CDs and DVDs

My ex-brother-in-law is a DJ and he said to use toothpaste but you have to make sure it's the GEL kind. Also, if you have a used games/CD store in town, they usually will do it for you (great for deep scratches) the one around here charges $2 which is a lot to me but that's better then having to buy a new CD/DVD (06/15/2006)

By scruggle