CD Scratch Removal

Does anybody know some good ways of removing scratches from CD's?

Thanks,

Steven S.

Best Answer

CD Repair Kits are available at Wal-Mart and work really well. I had a CD that got paper accidently stuck to the side you play. After removing all of the paper it was very scratched. The kit has evereything you ned to fix the CD and is under $10.00. It is in the section where they sell cd's.

I have used turtle wax. The best is white toothpaste. rub from center out, with a coffee filter. the professionals have told me , as long as the scratch doesn't go all the way to the other side, so that you can see through it, it can be fixed.

so far this is true.. clean with alcohol on tissue paper. has saved many a cd for me that nothing else could help.

Check your local video game store (like GameStop or EB Games) for a device that shaves a tiny tiny bit of the cd, just enough to remove the scratch. Off the top of my head I can't think of the name, Disc Doctor. or something, but they'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you ask them.

I've heard people use peanut butter...?

By no no (Guest Post)

i dont know about that toothpaste thing it kind of scatched my cd even worse

By (Guest Post)

Confirmed-

Only some toothpastes work. Primarily bakingsoda toothpaste with very few additives.

The best home solution is Brasso Metal Polish
I'd give 4 out of 5 stars on its effecitveness. I definitly recommend Brasso Metal Polish.

i would say use hairspray i have been using that trick for years and it always works spray it on the cd let stand for a min rub curcular and wipe off always 100 percent works

By K (Guest Post)

I just tried the "white toothpaste with coffee filter..." yada... I recommend it. Saved my Pink Floyd cd. Rock on.

By cool cids ckool aids cds (Guest Post)

put peanut butter on a cd and rub off with a coffee filter.

Editor's Note: I'm not sure about this one. You certainly would want to use creamy and not crunchy peanut butter.

By Michael (Guest Post)

"i dont know about that toothpaste thing it kind of scatched my cd even worse"

I have a game, Halo 2, that has a scratched disc and tried the toothpaste as well. It also looks more scratched, but it works better than it did before.

By Suzanne S. (Guest Post)

I've always heard that cigarette ashes wiped off with a coffee filter or burp rag works well

By anne (Guest Post)

yes toothpast does workwith the baking soda in it should not clean in circular motion but in straight lines
you can also use brasso

By Jason (Guest Post)

Hey guys, go here and ask here, I think it can help u guys!! = http://windowsxptips.8.forumer.com

By Erica (Guest Post)

I tried the tooth paste which sanded down the deep scratch ( note: use the toothpaste in moderation it barely takes a dab). Toothpaste creates alot of small scratches though to take care of them I put a extremly light glaze of conditioner over the area.

By CJG (Guest Post)

Before attempting to remove a scratch from a cd practice 1st on a junk CD. Perhaps a free sample CD from AOL. Be sure to try and recreate the scratch you are trying to remove.

By [Raz_] (Guest Post)

Ok, The Disk Doctor (I Have One) Does Shave off The Layer, But Not In The Way You Might Be Thinking, It's Like A Microscopic Sandpaper, When You Sand A Table, It Becomes Smooth Again Right?

And Toothpaste Will Work, BUT THERE ARE VERY IMPORTANT PRECAUTIONS YOU MUST!!!! MUST!!!!!! FOLLOW!!! IM EXTREMELY SERIOUS ABOUT THIS!!! more information from my forum... http://freewebs.9.forumer.com/