Tips for Using an Onion Blossom Maker

I bought an 'Onion Blossom Maker' made by Norpro, for a fun thing to make for my family over Christmas. Like the 'Awesome Blossoms' at Outback and Chili's? It was OK, only cost $3.99, but I'm wondering if anyone has used this product and can share tips. What is the best batter to use? Ours fell off. Tips for using hot oil on the stove, we had a hard time finding the right temp.

Kim from Crawford, CO

i always soak my onion after i have cut it into the bloom shape in a bowl of ice water in the frig for 3-4 hours before deep frying mine. and besides the batters that come with your kit, the grocerie store isle has lots of batter choices to pick from. one is called beer bread batter that does real good. and i alawys do one coat, deep fry, them do another coat and fry again real quick the second time, using a deep spooned shape metal big spoon to hold the bloom in while its frying then lift up, let drain on wax paper, then place the bloom on a bed of romaine lettuce in a pretty bowl to serve. and some thousand island dressing mixed with a little horse radish tastes just like the sauce in the restaraunts, although my husband likes ranch dressing for dipping. hope that helped.

The Bloomin' Onion from a certain steakhouse is famous for being ranked the worst single food item in America's restaurant industry. I felt like someone had to ask, do you really want to eat a deepfried onion? If you use them just to make it easy to chop an onion, fine, but otherwise...l just couldn't eat one of those fat-sponges.

I bought one of those onion bloosom thingys too- have yet use it but heard you could bake instead of fry. Maybe try cutting up potatoes or other round veggies like turnips and baking them for something different. Just some ideas.

If after you cut your onion shake as much water off as possible, then dip into flour and shake off excess. Then dip into the batter. This will help control the soggy problem.

Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
beautiful lawn
Getting Rid of Onion Grass
Tomatoes growing with blossom end rot.
Blossom End Rot on Vegetables
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker