Removing Permanent Marker on Fabric

By Marlina 1

My daughter wrote her name using permanent marker inside her backpack and I'm trying to remove her name so my other daughter can use it. Inside her backpack is fabric and it's very hard to remove the marker; is there any remedy? The backpack is Louis Vuitton.

By Marlina from Jacksonville, FL

By Leigh 5 31 Flag

Why not cover the area with an iron on patch and write the new name some where else? Or glue/sew a piece of fabric to cover the old name and write on that.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Removing Permanent Marker from Fabric

How do I remove a felt tip or permanent marker pen line from a white cotton duvet cover?

By Carol

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By barby bartle 1 5 Flag

Krud Kutter will remove it use a cloth (white) under it and spray it and blot with clean white cloth it is fabulous stuff. It removed very florescent pink paint from my husband's camo jacket when the nozzle leaked on to it. This stuff is the most amazing stuff. Get it at Lowes. I bought a gallon and used it to remove 40 year old wall paper that had been painted over numerous times and worked like a charm. Have used it to remove just about anything with out fail. I use it in a spray bottle undiluted.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Removing Permanent Marker on Fabric

A friend's aunt was robbed several times about 20 years ago. Police told her to put her initials on everything, so she did, including on a beautiful white quilt with brightly colored appliques. She took black permanent marker and put her initials on the top and bottom sides of the quilt, in the corners and side edges. Each one looks different. Had they been embroidered it would have been okay.

I've read the suggestions, but my question is, has anyone had better luck with a particular product on removing permanent marker that has been on the cloth for over 20 years? Fortunately, some of the initials are only on the white cloth, so the bright colors won't be affected. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

By Judy from Cleveland, OH

Feedback:

RE: Removing Permanent Marker on Fabric

This is from: http://www.ehow.com/how_5825573_remove-permanent-marker-cotton-fabric.html

<p.To Remove Permanent Marker

First, place a stack of paper towels on a hard surface and place the garment with the stained side facing down on top of the stack. Since the paper towels will be used to absorb the stain, it is best to use a better quality, highly absorbent brand. This will cut down on the number of applications necessary to fully remove the marker.

Pour the rubbing alcohol over the marker in small spurts, making sure that the entire surface area of the stain is soaked. With a clean stack of paper towels on top of the garment, begin to gently press the stain into the stack underneath. Take care not to rub the garment, as this will only cause the stain to bleed, as well as put excess wear on the threading. Any brand of rubbing alcohol will suffice for this job, and most households commonly have rubbing alcohol in the medicine cabinet. Remove the soiled paper towels and, if necessary, repeat the process several times with clean towels until the marker is fully removed.

Thicker materials, such as sweatshirts, will require you to repeat this process multiple times in order to remove the stain. Blessings. (02/05/2010)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Removing Permanent Marker on Fabric

I had this problem with pillowcases I bought at a garage sale. I tried everything, but it would not come out. Finally I covered it with whiteout (for typewriter mistakes). It wasn't perfect, but good enough. White paint might work too. (02/08/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Home and Garden Cleaning FabricJanuary 30, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Permanent Markers
Removing Permanent Marker From Vinyl and Linoleum Floor
Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:12:32 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings