Crafts Uses Sheets

I just found a massive hole in the fitted sheet of one of my favorite sets of bed linens. It can be used for rags or something, but I would like to use the top sheet for something else besides cleaning rags or curtains or extra pillow cases. I have no children, so kiddie crafts aren't what I am looking for. :) Suggestions?

Kathleen from Mississippi

just buy a new fitted sheet and keep using the sheets on your bed. If they are print, buy a plain one and if they are a solid color buy a print and matching pillow cases to look like a set.

If you can sew, how about makeing a blouse and matching shorts ? No one would know it was a sheet unless you told them. Just a thought ! ? Or get another sheet in a like color to match the color/colors in the one you already have,and you have a whole set again . I somehow lost one of the sheets to my set , so bout another flat sheet in a color that matches , and now have a whole set again.

what about making a braided rug.

Cut the sheet into strips then take three at a time and braid. tack the strips together when you reach the end of one strip. When all braided on a flat surface start winding it into a circle or oval tacking the rows together ever few inches.

Make a couple of cobbler aprons with big pockets on each side! I was given some years ago and still wear them all the time at home. The big pockets hold my garden gloves and snippers so they're always handy when I go outside and walk through the yard. Handy for "oops, something needs deadheading".

Well, well. H-m-mmmmm. I take every single orphan sheet and make them my sofa-bed sheets, my grandchild's sheets, and my double-sheets...

Why? Because these are odd size places and I can seldom find nor afford extra ones. Also, when I lived in Hawaii years ago, I discovered the nicest idea. The

native maids there use two sheets for the "top sheet", which is exactly the weight one longs for and the proper warmth for a chilly evening in the Fall in

temperate climates.

In my older age, I am warmer natured, preferring lighter covering, and have been using the double top sheet idea for several years with much comfort. It takes a little getting used to, but once you realize how warm two sheets can be, you appreciate less weight!

I recently cut up a 50 yr. old sheet set given to me by my elderly mother years ago as a used linen.

It literally wasted away but the outside selvege edges

were still good, so I ripped them off and rolled them

up. The end two feet were not yet useless, so I saved them.

Having to live extremely frugal, I plan to save them for camping, bandages, slings, covering the pet places/pillows, and for dust covers for stored items that will not fit into boxes! The selvege edge will help as ties for several of those uses.

Should we become, as theologians warn, like a Third World nation because of our severe irreversable national debt load, we will be living differently, folks. Just before the Iron Curtain fell, Russians had to stand in line for a mile to get their allotment for such things as toilet paper, for example.

Americans have for the most part been over indulged, baby-pampered and powdered for too long, and no nation has survived well beyond 300 yrs., so we would be wise to get a reality check with every single item and need we have BEFORE this predicted situation occurs, right?

Thank you, ThriftyFun and tips. I pray that God blesses America regardless of our past wastefulness! : )

make a tablecloth out of it.

make a curtain

line a quilt with it.

cut in half and use halves to make a quilt for the couch.

I purposely bought some sheets at a yard sale to make garment bags for my closet. They are super easy to make, keep clothes dust free, and help keep moths out of wool blends. And they are so much better than the plastic ones you buy.

I make pillowcases out of pretty sheets. I buy sheets at garage sales, or the thrift store, and also use them for quilt linings when making a quilt for the homeless people. They really appreciate it in the winter.

I also use the completely worn out ones for a "drop sheet" when painting.. Inside or outside, when spray painting furniture or pots. They last for years, just wash them and put them away for another painting day. The old ones are also good to cover up the patio furniture to keep it clean. I also keep strips to use for bandages or tying up a plant outside. nm