Keeping Pets Hydrated

Keeping your pet hydrated is essential to its health. This is a guide about keeping pets hydrated.

May 18, 2015 Flag

Some pets live outdoors so they need a water supply. The idea I came up with is a reasonable idea and takes less labour to keep water good. We bought a 5 gallon bucket made of plastic, with a lid to keep on at all times. We cut a house shaped hole in the side, this is access of the pet to drink. If you do this you will lessen objects falling in the water and less green forming in the bucket. The size is determined according to the pet you have. We have a large dog in a pen.

Total Time: One hour I cut slow

Source: Nono

• 1 plastic bucket with lid
  • sharp blade
  • felt pen
  • drill

1. With the drill you make the first hole to start cutting from.
  2. With the felt pen you draw the line to follow around.
  3. With the knife you cut along the line to make an opening.
  4. Rinse all things away and fill to needed amount of liquid.

I think this is a really good idea, and not just for dogs. I'm not sure how well it would work for our home, because our dog's head is just too large to fit into the size hole you are indicating (scale of the drawing).

I think this is a great idea. I'm hoping that your dog still gets lots of love and attention living outside. There's a dog down the street who's alone all day and all night and no one pays attention to him. But I figure if you're making sure his drinking water is clean you're probably taking care of him or her well. I will try this in the summer when the dogs drink a lot outside.

October 15, 2007 Flag

Getting dog to drink water when they are dehydrated.

Tatum

Lactose free milk only should be given to dogs, it's the same thing as puppy milk, regular milk can cause vomiting, tummy upset and diarrhea.

I stuck a chicken breast into a boiling pan of water for 20 minutes. Voila! My mini pin drank about 8 oz. of it without stopping! I have plenty left for later and can use the chicken.

My puppy is whining a lot as if in pain. He is wobbling a lot mostly his head and he won't drink water.

Taking to most Vet's will Always end up with her being pumped full of antibiotics. I found that is worse than doing nothing but home cures. They make more sense and often work better that vet. I just tried the "chicken in water" boiled then gave water only. Worked like a charm. my dog was adopted a few weeks ago. Im not sure if she had the "drinking" no water then or not.

Otherwise she seem very healthy and now settled and happy. My vet large animal Dr. that I took her to for constipation did NOT give her antibiotics. So I am very happy to find this site. Good Job. to all you small dog lovers Thank you thank you thank you. For the suggestions. Ps dont give bullion cubes they are nothing but chemicasl and salt. No Good for dogs or people.

hazellvzsjay2015 Your dog is showing signs of poisoning. Take him to the vet right away.

April 19, 2011 Flag

If your pet travels with you, like my little miniature Peke-a-Poo does, and especially if you live in the South, here is a tip that could possibly save your pet's life in the summer. I bought some of the little Gladware containers with the blue snap on lids that are about the size of a pudding cup. By filling them with water and freezing them, I have the perfect way to keep my dog hydrated without a mess. They sit perfectly in my cup holder and the ice melts at such a rate that she has something cool to drink at any time during a trip into town. When she is through, I just snap the lid back on and set it back in the cup holder. If we are out of town, the container can be filled with ice from the hotel ice machine.

If you have a larger dog, you could fill several, freeze them, and add them to your cooler. They will cool what is in the cooler and be a replacement whenever one is empty. But please, hydrated or not, NEVER leave your pet in the car!

By dollyslaffn from Darien, GA

April 21, 2015 Flag

How can I get my 6 yr old Shih Tzu to drink? I have tried chicken broth, mixed broth with her food, tried some milk in the water, and tried coaxing her with peanut butter. She won't touch it. I have had her to the vet 4-5 times this month. I am waiting for her second blood tests to come back. The 1st test looked like it might be kidney failure. She just threw up, and she will not drink anything. Not anything!

By Jacob's G.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your Vet can do fluids under her skin to keep her from being dehydrated. 6 years old is very young for kidney failure. Stay in touch with your vet because dehydration is a very real concern and could do some damage. I hope she gets better soon.

I agree with Lizzyanny. Take her to the vet for sub-q fluids. They'll tell you how to administer this yourself at home.

I make a homemade dog food and add to reheated chicken no bone broth that has been kept in fridge. Be sure to add a few drops to 1/2 capful of apple cider vinegar. The broth is too "sweet" otherwise to urinary tract infection causing bacteria. Dogs drink if there is a little food in bone broth. Cottage cheese, a tablespoon in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bone broth, works for snacks and rehydration but I really just use the main diy dog food. I make sure after adding food it gets reheated to be warm( ice cube can cool it if too hot from microwave). One dog eats food first from my hand then drinks broth food was just warmed in. The Ottawa valley dog whisperer's blog I got recipe from explains why she uses ingredients and common misconceptions. 2 cups cooked diced chicken, 1 cup cooked rutabaga chopped fine, 1 cup cooked turnip chopped fine, 10 oz thawed frozen spinach, 1 cup cooked chopped kale, 1 cup cooked Granny Smith apple minced and important to remove seeds which contain arsenic, 2 cups cottage cheese. I use food processor to chop up cooled cooked food. Mix together with about 1/4 tsp each of basil, rosemary, parsley and store in fridge. The blog has tons of info. I would Google it if link below doesn't work. My dogs stopped drinking after the death of our samoyed. I found the recipe afterwards and wish I had it for her. Lifesaver and they smell better and fur is silkier! http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blo ... made-diy-dog-food-recipes-grain.html

Oops my auto correct, should read. . .[I make a homemade dog food and add to reheated chicken bone broth that has been kept in fridge.]

Also the diy recipe is very thorough. I left out below 1/8 cup coconut oil which she has. The food is in highly digestible small pieces and the oil keeps it from sticking to throats and goes down smoother. Also if you have a larger dog and reading this post for long term rehydration and want to do combo of diy food and broth, taurine is an essential amino acid for labs and other similar weight breeds. Helps for healthy heart and wasn't added to food like Science Diet til after the 80s. They were having heart disease. I add about 1 pill size once a day to food. Can't overdose taurine, it flushes out of system.

So I give my medium size dogs about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of reheated bone broth plus about 3 tablespoons of diy Ottawa valley dog food rewarmed if once added to broth is cold. I have someone who helps me give them hospice care so they get it about every 4 hours during the day and more if nose is dry. Dogs dehydrate very fast over 24 hours. I have senior dogs who stopped drinking while mourning the death of another dog.

April 25, 2016 Flag

I have a 6 month old puppy who was recently hit by a car. I rushed him to the nearest vet and they prescribed medication for him after making sure he was okay internally. He is eating, but I cannot get him to drink enough water. I tried to give him water with a syringe and he drank a little, but then he stopped. I put his medication in his food and at first, he wouldn't eat it, but then he ate little by little. If I give him his food without the medication, he eats the food with no hesitation. Can someone please help? I'm worried about my boy.

If you are using canned food your dog will get some water from that. If you are feeding dry food you are going to need to work to see he gets enough water. You can put water in his dry food and let it sit a few hours and it should be absorbed. You could try beef or chicken broth ( the low salt variety). Try adding broth or water to his canned food also. If he doesn't drink on his own in another day or so I would call the Vet back. They can do IV or sub Q fluids. You are wise to worry about dehydration.

April 10, 2016 Flag

If your dog is dehydrated and vet tells to make sure she drinks, but your dog has no interest, how do you get water into her? The vet put her on an antibiotic. She also has diarrhea and she was vomiting.

I use a pet syringe & gently pock into the side or front of the mouth & squeeze the water or [ medicine at times ] in. You can buy these at a pet store or in some cases at the vets.

January 28, 2009 Flag

To remove the hay or straw debris from the alpaca's drinking pail, use a slotted spaghetti lifter/pasta server. No need to freeze your fingers in the winter!

July 23, 2015 Flag

My 12 week puppy recently got really dehydrated and very weak. We immediately took him to the vet and they gave him a IV for about 5 hours and steroids for a fever and upset stomach. The problem is is keeping him hydrated. We have been giving him water by syringe and giving him little bits of rice and chicken if he is in the mood, but he is unwillingly going to his food bowl and water. And he is still very weak.

I would give your dog ice cubes to play with and crunch on. Our Shihtzu loves to catch one as it slides across the kitchen floor. She eats it too and its become a favorite game. You could also give your dog popsicles or add a little flavored gelatin in water and see if your pup will drink more fluid. I don't know "why" your pup refuses to drink water. Could the drinking vessel be changing the taste of the water maybe. Try changing water container and see if that makes any difference and change the water several times a day, so it's fresh.

Pets HealthJune 10, 2015
woman drinking water
Drinking More Water
pet mantis religiosa
Keeping Insects as Pets
Dog at Vet
Spaying or Neutering Your Pets
Air Conditioner
Watering Plants with Air Conditioner Condensate
🎉
🎄