Best Paint for Using on Styrofoam

What kind of paint can you use on Styrofoam balls?

By Patricia from Mount Airy, NC

I get my paint for Styrofoam from Hobby Lobby or my local floral shop. It does take a special paint some will melt the foam. The flower shop just calls it floral spray paint, wish I could tell you what the chemical is to avoid but I don't know. Just make sure it is specifically for Styrofoam. Acrylic paint will work also.

I agree with latrtatr you could use the paint especially for styrofoam. I have had very good success with craft paint especially on smooth styrofoam balls. I find it takes more than one coat though.

February 3, 2011 Flag

What kind of paint should I use on Styrofoam?

By John

Best Paint for Using on Styrofoam

Any spray paint will work fine; also I have seen outside exterior paint used on a cooler which was then made into a planter and that was beautiful. (09/05/2010)

By MzScarlett

Best Paint for Using on Styrofoam

Use "only" water based latex paints on Styrofoam and any styrene foams. Solvent based paints will sooner or later eat into the foam. If the can tells you that the brushes can be cleaned with just water, then it is safe on all foams. You can get exterior latex paints that are reasonably weather proof. You can, if necessary, use solvent or oil based paint or lacquer on top of latex paint, once it has thoroughly dried.

Most binary (two component) epoxy paints are also safe to use.

Have FUN!
DearWebby (09/07/2010)

By DearWebby

Best Paint for Using on Styrofoam

Any spray paint will not work, unless you want to change the texture of what you are painting, use the water based as suggested. My son had to make something for a school project and used Styrofoam. We bought a can of spray paint at Walmart and as soon as we sprayed it, the Styrofoam began to bubble like a science experiment! At first we were horrified, but ended up deciding we liked the texture it made. I imagine a small piece would melt altogether! If you want to see what the texture looked like, send me a message and I will dig the project out and take a picture of it, it was pretty cool. (09/08/2010)

By lyonpridej

How to Paint Styrofoam
How to Paint Styrofoam
Consumer Advice Product FinderFebruary 3, 2011
Styrofoam Ice Chest
Crafts Using Styrofoam Ice Chests
Styrofoam Packing Peanuts
Recycling Styrofoam
Styrofoam Ball Ornament
Styrofoam Ball Ornament Ideas
Styrofoam Snowman
Making a Styrofoam Snowman