Can I Freeze Cherry Tomatoes?

How do you freeze cherry tomatoes?

By Linda Z. from St Louis, MO

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Just wash them, dry well and place in plastic baggies or containers. It's as easy as that but will only be able to use for cooking or baking because they become sort of mushy after freezing :-)

Hi, I just pack them into clean ice cream or milk cartons after washing, [I never freeze in plastic anymore] If ever I am in doubt about freezing anything, I just throw a couple in the freezer & check 1 or 2 days later.

September 4, 2011 Flag

How do I freeze cherry tomatoes?

By Hazie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After washing and drying I cut them in half and throw in a freezer bag for stews. The skins will float as they cook and can be removed with a fork.

I remember my grandma use to make tomato juice with her cherry tomatoes, she first put in hot water (boiling) for a few minutes then ran through a food mill to get rid of the seeds and skins, she used to fill in old whiskey bottles and sealed with hot pariffin wax. May not even have been the safest way to do things but none of us died or got sick from that.

August 14, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do with my cherry tomatoes? I have given some away, but am wondering if they can be frozen. I don't want to can them or any of that, just freeze them after washing them off.

Dede from NW Arkansas

Answers:

Can I Freeze Cherry Tomatoes?

I've been washing and freezing unblanched cherry tomatoes for years. Just before you use them, run some hot water over them and the skins will fall off. I also do this with my regular tomatoes if I don't have time to process the batch. Just make sure you freeze them after they are completely dry and then you can keep them from freezing together. Good luck. (07/25/2006)

By tootic

Can I Freeze Cherry Tomatoes?

One year I had an abundance of cherry tomatoes. I didn't want the task of peeling them to can. I washed them and put them in a blender (or you could use food processor) peeling and all and turned it on. I had lovely pureed tomatoes for use in spaghetti sauce or soup. You couldn't tell the peelings were even there. I then froze them in appropriate size containers. Worked great. (07/27/2006)

By spesialangel

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 14, 2009
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 1:57:59 PM on 10.0.1.211 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.