Organization Ideas For Small Bedroom

I will be moving in to a home with a small master bedroom and have been trying to figure out a way to make the most of my small space. I don't remember what the measurements of the room are, but the previous owners had a queen size bed, a large dresser and a somewhat narrow armoire in the room. With these three pieces of furniture alone, the space looked extremely cluttered. The only source of natural light comes from the sliding doors that lead out to a small deck. If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it.

By Lori from Chicago, IL

I would avoid lots of fluff: ruffles and lace and the like. I'd use straight lines and simple fabrics. I'd paint the walls a very light color (actually I'd choose off white) to enlarge the space. I would try to keep pictures limited to the walls and then only a few.

I live in a beautiful penthouse, only 450 sq. ft.! I bought ELFA basket storage system from Container Store and placed them in a closet eliminating the need to use a normal bedroom dresser. My closet is half baskets and half hanging space. Baskets systems can rack up to almost five ft. high (14 small drawers or seven deep drawers) and as wide as you choose.

Use light colored paint on the walls, limiting a darker color for the wall the bed is on. Use a large mirror to reflect the light from the doors around the room. I would stay away from any tall furnishings, this will make the room look more cluttered. Use floating side tables for a more spatial feeling. Find storage containers to slide under the bed, you can buy stilts for the bed to raise it more also.

Lastly: simplify your wardrobe so you do not store items that you will not be wearing again. And use whites on the bed, pillows and sheets with a colored comforter rolled to the foot. Good luck:)

Be minimalistic. What can you really do without? Re-locate bulky things such as full length coats, or out of season clothing, or change of bedding to either one of those vacuum the air out of them bags or to another room/closet. Also, be brutal. Donate to those who are less fortunate. Another thing, think vertical. So many people only look at waist to eye level and at what can fit under a bed. Baskets, bins, and even tall furniture that is more slender will help keep your room from looking too cluttered. Also, although queen size beds are nice and roomy, a double can do just as well. Or have a futon, or another converter type furniture. Murphy beds and trundle beds (my Grams had a trundle bed that looked like a single, but the other mattress came sliding out, and hooked to the first bed, making a double bed. It took both single and double size sheets (depening on the obvious). It could also go into two single beds.

I am sure there are websites and magazines for small spaces. HGTV used to have a show dedicated to it. I am not sure what the name of it was, but I did catch parts of it from time to time.

I agree with previous posters. Light, streamlined, and mirrors.

Good luck.

Peace

KLS

Your furnishings should be the smallest that will do the job, making the room look bigger. We used to have a queen bed and the room looked tiny, the double opened it right up. Then we painted the room yellow and that made it look bigger too.

Small Organized Bedroom
Organizing a Small Bedroom
Organizing BedroomMay 23, 2010
Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Teen Bedroom
Decorating a Guest Room
Decorating a Guest Room
beautiful green tone bedroom
Inexpensive Bedroom Makeovers
Painted Screen Partition
Partitioning a Bedroom in an Apartment
🎉
🎄