Cleaning a Handmade Wool Throw Rug

I have a handmade wool throw rug. It hasn't been cleaned in years. It has been down in a basement. Would it be OK if I took to laundromat and washed it in one of the big machines on cold and delicate and used Woolite and Downey? I have heard white vinegar will take musty smell out? Has anyone ever heard of this?

By Ann from Tipp City, OH

I would not wash the rug. It's to delicate to wash. Instead take it to your local dry cleaners to have it cleaned professionally. You will be very glad that you did.

You can't wash wool in a washing machine or it will felt! You can have it dry cleaned. I have had 2 wool rugs dry cleaned. They were both white with a very thick 4 inch pile & handmade in Greece. One came out looking wonderful & the other not so good (it looked gray). The difference being, the dry cleaners quoted me a low price to get my business then used old & dirty dry cleaning solution to do the job which turned the rug gray. The next time I knew better & asked for new solution with wonderful results. Ask for new dry cleaning solution!

Here's some other options listed:

Read my posts here:

http://www.thri  4067887.tip.html

http://www.thri  4314351.tip.html

If you follow the tips listed in my first post & the rugs smell musty, then hang them on the line or against a fence & spray both the front & back with a Febreze you like (I like Vanilla). If it's not sunny, bring them back in & let them dry. If you can do this in the sunshine on a hot summer day, the UV rays from the sun will help kill germs.

Thank you so much guys for all your help! You are awesome!