How Can I Tell If I Have a Pure Bred Puppy?

I bought a pup and I was told she is a pure bred Amstaf but I'm not sure. How do I find out?

Crystal from Adelaide, South Australia

The dog's pedigree will tell you whether it's purebred or not. You can also have DNA testing done.

first if the person didnt give you papers then you know for sure it isnt. they didnt want to have to prove it to you otherwise.

2nd please please dont get a dog unless it is in a shelter needing a home.

It might be a little soon to tell for sure, just by looking at your pup, but if the seller gave you any sort of pedigree papers, that might help. However, even pedigree and registration papers aren't always entirely accurate.

We bought what we were told was an American Bulldog a couple of years ago; we even got her registration papers listing her as such. However, as she matured, she looked less and less like what we'd been told.

My hubby is and always has been a dog enthusiast, and has previously raised and bred American Bulldogs. He has several books about various breeds. When our Princess was about a year old, he started looking through his Encyclopedia (or is it Dictionary) of Dog Breeds. That's when we learned we really have an American Pit Bull Terrier.

To make a long story short, I'd say try to get any sort of pictorial listing of all possible dog breeds that include your breed. Your local library's reference section should be a good free resource. Compare your pup, point by point, with the breed standard and picture. I don't know what reparations you could demand for a breeder's dishonesty, but at least you'll know for sure if you have what you think.

Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 30, 2008
curbside trash can
Tricks to Tell When the Trash Has Been Picked Up
Mixed Breed Dog Photos and Information
Pit Bull
Is My Pit Bull Full Blooded?
Puppy in Crate
Puppy Poops in Crate