Is My Dog a Pure Bred German Shepherd?

Although a genetic test is the best way to accurately define a dog's breed there are physical characteristics that can help distinguish between a pure bred and mixed breed pup. This is a page about, "Is my dog a pure bred German Shepherd?.

Recently I got a GSDd puppy. Does she look purebred to you guys ? I know you can't really know without papers, but the only papers the breeder got are medical papers that say both parents' breed is German Shepherd. Do you think it can be trusted?

Answers

Best Answer

The way to find out is if you know the puppy's sire and dam(father and mother), or the previous owner tells or gives you the names. They should be listed in on the pedigree.

After you have the names look up AKC German Shepard pedigree service. My parents did that work along with breeding, training, and showing shepards and Flat Coated Retrievers. You might find their dogs listed if you go back to the 70's.

Is my dog a pure long hair GSD? I'm worried that his hair is a bit weird.

Answers

Best Answer

This is normal for all small puppies. My dog had puppies and their hair changed. Like children, they have baby hair that will fall out and their adult hair will grow in. Then you will see a major change. I did notice that the color of 2 of the puppies my dog had their hair really changed color when their adult hair came in.

When yu purchased the dog did the breeder give yuo any type of paper for the dog. They should have the full bloodline for both the parents if they are selling purebred dogs. I would demand the papers from them proving the dog is actually a purebred dog. Other than this you can check with the vet or even do a DNA test to make sure the breeder was telling you the truth.

Best Answer

As your puppy matures its hair may change so that it looks like an adult long-hair GDS. Another way its appearance should change is the shape of its nose. If you purchased the dog as a purebred GDS the person you bought it from should be able to provide papers proving the puppy is purebred.

Her name is Myxa and I got her from someone who told me that she was a purebred. She runs alto and is very protective, loves to eat, but eats less than our purebred male does. She stands with her back leg out and her other leg in like our male. She loves to bark at strangers.

By mariamelnichuk

Answers

Best Answer

I am not a vet but we have had four G/S and your dog certainly looks like a pure bred G/S. Of course without papers no one can prove it. Our four did not have papers and looked like yours. She is also beautiful! Congratulations. You will have years of wonderful companionship with one of the smartest breeds there is. Just remember, she is a very smart human in a fur coat.

I want to know if she really is a GSD. Her color is totally different to other GSDs. She has plenty of hair on her neck and around her ears.

He was rescued from a flooded breeder who said he is a full blood panda GSD, but we have our doubts! I love him already though. He is 20 weeks old.

Answers

I don't think he has any traits of a German Shepherd. A DNA will tell you his bloodline.

Awaaah so cute!!!!! But German Shepherd!

Did he come with papers? He has the right coloring, but the snout doesn't look quite right, although he may grow into his full looks.

Have you had the vet check him out yet? Vets are really good with breed spec guesstimates.

He is adorable!! I am so happy you found each other. May you have lots and lots of fun adventures!!

I think your dog is cute as can be but I don't see German Shepherd traits, not even panda German Shepherd. His coat, ears and nose don't match up with that of a panda German Shepherd. Regardless of breed or breed mix, he looks like he has a fantastic personality. Just love him for what he is and you'll have a great companion.

My baby is about a year and a half old. I got him from a pretty sketchy dude. I'm just wondering if you guys think he's a purebred or mixed with another breed because I can't tell!

One of his ears also isn't all the way up most likely due to rough play. I uploaded puppy pictures and recent pictures.

I was just wondering if you could tell me if my dog is a Sable or not? I have got his pedigree sheet and stuff. And what do you think by just looking at him please?

Here is my 10 month old German Shepherd. Can you please tell me if he is pure bred and also about how to make him fluffy? He is very skinny. He always loves to play and is very active.

Does he look like a purebred German Shepherd?

Answers

He is a nice looking dog and you can tell he has German Sheperd in him for sure. Now to know if he is a pure bread that one is not really possible unless you received papers on him when you bought him or you pay for a DNA Test. Most German Sheperds have more brown around his face but this does not mean he is not a pure bread.

I was told by the seller that he is a pure sable GSD, with his father being a black/tan show type who was imported and is quite impressive and his mother being a sable GSD. He provided me with a picture of the father as he owns him for stud service, but lost the picture of the mother who belonged to his client; he was willing to answer all my questions in great detail prior to buying and sounded convincing and pictures on google seemed to match up.
However, I have doubts as he seems small for his age. He is around 11 weeks old. His ears went up at 7 weeks of age. Where I live there is a lot of backyard breeding, with a lot of unregistered dogs. It is quite commonplace and they are very keen on breeding the best looking dogs as opposed to temperament, but they pay a significant fee for stud service so I was hoping the seller was telling the truth. I can't give you his weight currently, but he weighed in at 5 kg at a little under 9 weeks. His tail can't be seen in these pics, but it is long and doesn't curl up and has some darker pigmentation, and his back isn't too sloped, but there is a little bit.

Answers

First, for clarifications sake, let's define what it means to be "sable". Sable refers to a coat where the tips of the hair are black, but the color along the rest of the hairs is grey, tan, gold or silver.
To determine whether your puppy is indeed sable would actually be very difficult to ascertain without knowledge of the puppy's parents and/or background to know whether sable is in it's genes. However, when simply viewing the posted picture provided, your puppy does not appear to have inherited or possess the strong, physical attributes commonly associated with the Sable German Sheppard, or even the Belgian Malinois. One need only search the web for images to easily make this determination. In that the owner where you purchased the puppy says one parent was a black and tan, it is logical to determine your puppy is not a pure sable.
However, your puppy does appear to have genes from the sheppard family.

He looks like he has some German Shepherd in him. My suggestion is to do a DNA test, if it is that important to you.

Your pup is adorable!! I love him!!

Here is a nice article about the sable (and other color) GS.

germanshepherdcountry.com/.../

Your pup looks very much like a GS. The sable, I am not sure.

Have you asked your vet to weigh in on the pup's lineage? Vets look at things we can't see in a photo--like his teeth and bone structure and can give you a good idea of the pup's breed (if there is a mix).

I wish you and your pup lots of lovely adventures.

I do feel very bad that you have doubts about what the breeder told you and that there are backyard breeders in your area who could be considered unscrupulous. If you have a better business bureau you could always report your concerns. You could also report them to your local animal control/animal shelters and perhaps they can investigate and protect the animals if there is any abuse going on in the breeding process.

Animals do not have voices and sometimes humans need to stand up and if you see something say something. Just my two cents worth. Prayers for all pups!

My little fur baby is 9 weeks old. I bought her from a breeder without any papers besides the vet examine paper. The mom and dad look purebred and the breeder claims she is. What do y'all think? I'll include mom and dad pic. Mom is black and tan and Dad is all black.

Is this a GSD? Thoughts?

The rescue place said she was pure bred Black German Shepherd, but she has big ears and a long nose. Also, she has a lot of white spots on her chest, arm pits, back, and hind legs.

Answers

She doesnt look purebred. You can always do a DNA test if in doubt.

Just by the photos and what you can see in them, your dog is not a real pure breed. I think they were just guessing on the dog's breed like we will be guessing too. She is a mixed dog for sure and does have some Shepherd and maybe some Lab or another breed in her. It is so hard to really tell by the photos.

Load More

Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 7, 2017
😷
📓
🐛
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Is-My-Dog-a-Pure-Bred-German-Shepherd-4.html