Is My Dog a Pure Bred German Shepherd?

Although a genetic test is the best way to accurately define a dog's breed there are physical characteristics that can help distinguish between a pure bred and mixed breed pup. This is a page about, "Is my dog a pure bred German Shepherd?.

Recently I got a GSDd puppy. Does she look purebred to you guys ? I know you can't really know without papers, but the only papers the breeder got are medical papers that say both parents' breed is German Shepherd. Do you think it can be trusted?

Answers

Best Answer

The way to find out is if you know the puppy's sire and dam(father and mother), or the previous owner tells or gives you the names. They should be listed in on the pedigree.

After you have the names look up AKC German Shepard pedigree service. My parents did that work along with breeding, training, and showing shepards and Flat Coated Retrievers. You might find their dogs listed if you go back to the 70's.

Her name is Myxa and I got her from someone who told me that she was a purebred. She runs alto and is very protective, loves to eat, but eats less than our purebred male does. She stands with her back leg out and her other leg in like our male. She loves to bark at strangers.

By mariamelnichuk

Answers

Best Answer

I am not a vet but we have had four G/S and your dog certainly looks like a pure bred G/S. Of course without papers no one can prove it. Our four did not have papers and looked like yours. She is also beautiful! Congratulations. You will have years of wonderful companionship with one of the smartest breeds there is. Just remember, she is a very smart human in a fur coat.

He was rescued from a flooded breeder who said he is a full blood panda GSD, but we have our doubts! I love him already though. He is 20 weeks old.

Answers

I don't think he has any traits of a German Shepherd. A DNA will tell you his bloodline.

Awaaah so cute!!!!! But German Shepherd!

Did he come with papers? He has the right coloring, but the snout doesn't look quite right, although he may grow into his full looks.

Have you had the vet check him out yet? Vets are really good with breed spec guesstimates.

He is adorable!! I am so happy you found each other. May you have lots and lots of fun adventures!!

I was just wondering if you could tell me if my dog is a Sable or not? I have got his pedigree sheet and stuff. And what do you think by just looking at him please?

Here is my 10 month old German Shepherd. Can you please tell me if he is pure bred and also about how to make him fluffy? He is very skinny. He always loves to play and is very active.

Does he look like a purebred German Shepherd?

Answers

He is a nice looking dog and you can tell he has German Sheperd in him for sure. Now to know if he is a pure bread that one is not really possible unless you received papers on him when you bought him or you pay for a DNA Test.

Most German Sheperds have more brown around his face but this does not mean he is not a pure bread.

How adorable!! Have you had your vet weigh in? The vet can look at his teeth and jaw, bones, hips, etc. and check him out against breed standards.

If I were to guess, I would say there is a lot of German Shepherd in this sweet package and some Belgian Sheepdog/Shepherd.

Very cute! Wishing you lots of happy trails and adventures!

Is this a GSD? Thoughts?

I was told by the seller that he is a pure sable GSD, with his father being a black/tan show type who was imported and is quite impressive and his mother being a sable GSD. He provided me with a picture of the father as he owns him for stud service, but lost the picture of the mother who belonged to his client; he was willing to answer all my questions in great detail prior to buying and sounded convincing and pictures on google seemed to match up.
However, I have doubts as he seems small for his age.

He is around 11 weeks old. His ears went up at 7 weeks of age. Where I live there is a lot of backyard breeding, with a lot of unregistered dogs. It is quite commonplace and they are very keen on breeding the best looking dogs as opposed to temperament, but they pay a significant fee for stud service so I was hoping the seller was telling the truth. I can't give you his weight currently, but he weighed in at 5 kg at a little under 9 weeks. His tail can't be seen in these pics, but it is long and doesn't curl up and has some darker pigmentation, and his back isn't too sloped, but there is a little bit.

Answers

First, for clarifications sake, let's define what it means to be "sable". Sable refers to a coat where the tips of the hair are black, but the color along the rest of the hairs is grey, tan, gold or silver.
To determine whether your puppy is indeed sable would actually be very difficult to ascertain without knowledge of the puppy's parents and/or background to know whether sable is in it's genes. However, when simply viewing the posted picture provided, your puppy does not appear to have inherited or possess the strong, physical attributes commonly associated with the Sable German Sheppard, or even the Belgian Malinois. One need only search the web for images to easily make this determination. In that the owner where you purchased the puppy says one parent was a black and tan, it is logical to determine your puppy is not a pure sable.
However, your puppy does appear to have genes from the sheppard family.

The rescue place said she was pure bred Black German Shepherd, but she has big ears and a long nose. Also, she has a lot of white spots on her chest, arm pits, back, and hind legs.

Answers

She doesnt look purebred. You can always do a DNA test if in doubt.

Just by the photos and what you can see in them, your dog is not a real pure breed. I think they were just guessing on the dog's breed like we will be guessing too. She is a mixed dog for sure and does have some Shepherd and maybe some Lab or another breed in her. It is so hard to really tell by the photos.

sometimes with a very young dog she will grow into her features. Pups's ears will sometimes come out long but then the rest of her will catch up with her.

the spotting though probably would indicate not pure bred

The puppy is only 1.5 months. People were I reside never have heard about white German Shepherds. So I'm wondering in your opinion if he looks like a German Shepherd? I posted mom & dad'd pictures. We know the dad is a German, but the mom they don't know since it was gifted.

I recently purchased a puppy at 6 weeks old and I was told he was a purebred. The owners were just going to abandon him and let him die after the mother rejected the litter at 2 weeks. Someone else took him and then I bought him from them. All I have to go off are looks. If he is not a purebred I am at least hoping he's mostly GSD and his ears stand up!

The lady said she was a German Shepherd. She was 10 months old in this picture. The lady couldn't keep her, so I took her in. Do you think she's a purebred or a mix?

Answers

She looks purebred to me. You can always do a DNA test to be certain.

This is a very hansom dog and it looks very much like a German Shepherd. However, if you would like to know if the dog is a pure breed or not the only way to tell is through a dog DNA test. You an purchase the test online and preform the test at home. Otherwise, when you take the dog to the vet, ask them to do a DNA test. Then you will know for sure if your dog is a pure breed or not.

Look it. Very gorgeous!

My family (mostly brothers) have always had German Shepherds and their ears are very outstanding - just like your baby's.

DNA tests are getting very popular so I'm hoping the cost will fall soon as the test kits now cost $50 to 200 dollars but most of them are very accurate. Test kits are sold at most pet stores, on line and from your vet. If your baby is due to see her vet anytime soon you can always ask their opinion about the breed. Of course, they cannot actually tell by looking if she is pure bred but they have a lot of knowledge about breeds.
Here is a link about DNA testing and also an example of a test kit for sale but there are lots of places to purchase these kits.

www.caninejournal.com/.../

www.wisdompanel.com/.../

Is my puppy a purebred German Shepherd? He is eight weeks old and he was advertised as purebred. He is super sweet and smart. I am just wondering what everyone thinks.

Is she a German Shepherd or a mix?

Is my dog a purebred German Shepherd? She has a light coat and short hair. I'm no pro, but was just wondering.

My dad's friend has a black German Shepherd who gave birth and he said he was gonna give me this puppy. I really want a purebred German Shepherd and this one has some German Shepherd features, but he doesn't look like German Shepherds his age (5 weeks old). I'm suspicious because I don't know what breed the father is.

Answers

This looks like a German Shepherd mix, not pure-bred. Are there any papers? If not, you may have to do a DNA test to find out for sure.

His name is Bruno and I got him when he was 1.5 months old from someone who told me that he was a purebred GSD. Now he is 10 months old. He runs a lot, is extremely energetic and fun loving, but is very protective. He loves to play fetching and tugging. He is not food oriented and eats small quantities. He is extremely intelligent and barks at strangers for few minutes and when he has confirmed that things are safe then he will start playing with them.

By Shrishti N.

Answers

He looks like a pure breed long hair German Shepherd.

I agree, he looks like a long hair shepherd. We recently rescued our 5th G/S. Wonderful breed.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 7, 2017
🎉
🎄