Is My Rottweiler Full Blooded?

Although only a DNA test will answer this question fully, there are often physical characteristics that can help determine if your dog is likely a pure bred. This is a guide about, "Is my Rottweiler full blooded?.

I know I can have a DNA test done and I probably will eventually, but I'm just curious. I just got my pup last week, he's 3 months old and already 40 lbs. The lady I bought him from says he's a purebred and that his mom was 115 lbs. and the dad was 140 lbs. I'm just curious of what others think.

Answers

Best Answer

It is possible you have a pure bred but as many are saying - highly unlikely if no papers were given.

• Puppies change rapidly in their first year so although he seems to fit every pure bred description his looks may change some as he matures.
  • He certainly looks like my son's Rottweiler but sometimes that is just an illusion when looking at photos.
  • For whatever reason, you seem to really want to know if he is pure bred but as you commented, only a DNA test will support your opinion.
  • Here is a site that has the very latest version of the DNA test kit so maybe when you get ready you can check this out. I'm only using this link because this is the latest test example (#4) that tests the most breeds unless you go for a very expensive test.
  • www.wisdompanel.com/.../

You seem to be very knowledgeable about your dog so I feel sure you know how important his first year health check-up and shots/vaccinations are. Just in case you need a schedule I have a link to information on this subject.

www.akc.org/.../

As long as you know you can do a DNA test there is no need to suggest one for you.

Normally a breeder who sells dogs has to supply you with the papers for the dog.

• Normally a breeder who sells dogs has to supply you with the papers for the dog.
  • Purebred dogs come with papers on both the parents and the bloodline.
  • I purchased a Pekingese once and I was given a pack of papers on the dog to fill out.
  • Purebred dogs need papers if you are planning on using them as breeding dogs.
  • You should ask the person for the dog's papers and the bloodline so you can make sure this is really a purebred dog or not.
  • According to the law, it is against the law to sell a puppy as a purebred without papers.
  • Without these papers you have no idea how to follow the pedigree and health of the line of your puppy.
  • Ad

• You should ask the breeder you purchased your dog from why they didn't pay the small charge to register this dog if it is actually a purebred dog.
  • Maybe this breeder is breeding the dogs illegally and wants to stay off the grid.
  • Many small backyard breeders will breed dogs and not register the dog.
  • The only way for you to actually find out is through the DNA test or the papers from the breeder.

I think he is mixed with another breed,he is a nice looking dog.

Yea that's for adult Rotts though. The large breed bones and joints have to keep up with weight so while they are pups it's important to keep them on the slim side to avoid any joint or bone injury.

He has perfect markings though and fits the breed standard for 3 to 4 month old pups. Thanks!