Is My Dog a Full Blooded Chihuahua?

It is sometimes difficult to be certain that your dog is a pure bred just by its appearance. This is a page about, "Is my dog a full blooded Chihuahua?".

I brought my dog Lady from a breeder, she is a Chihuahua, but I think she is a mix breed, what does anyone think about this? I have spoken to them and they said to me she is and if I'm not happy then I'm to take matters further.

By Kirsty

Answers

Best Answer

If you paid a Registered Licenced Breeder you should have been given that animals Pedigree papers irrespective if she was to be shown or pet. The breeder has to have a Prefix that's registered with your States Canine Control Council and all Puppies must be Litter Registered.

You never said how you found this one ask the person who sold you the Puppy for their Kennel Prefix then check them out with the Control Council. "Please" Do not return the Pup to this person to be sold to some-one else "or worse" And don't be intimidated by threats from this person they will not harm you because they are aware they have not been honest with you.

I sincerely hope this helps you with this problem but make sure you "research" people selling animals. I have Bred/Shown/Trialed/ German Shepherds/ all my life. Good luck please keep us all informed.

She was given to me and I just wanted to know if she was pure bred?

By Chris

Answers

Best Answer

You would have to do a DNA test to know for sure. It shouldn't matter though. Since you don't know her lineage, breeding is a bad, bad idea.

Thousands and thousands of animals are euthanized each year due to overpopulation and they all started out as "cute puppies". Please keep this in mind and just enjoy your little cutie as a pet.

Best Answer

I have had Chihuahuas for many years and your new baby certainly looks like a pure bred Chi to me! I just love her ears! I currently have 3 Chis and only one has the bat ears like that, not all of them do. But when they do, they do they are gorgeous!

As others have said, please don't breed her. Two of the 3 that I have now were unwanted rescues before I adopted them. It makes my want to cry when I think about all the ones who were not rescued and were abused, starved and euthanized at some shelter.

Having said that, congratulations on your beautiful new baby! May you have many long and happy years together!

My mom gave me a Chihuahua. She did not have papers. I want to get papers for her and her new litter.

Answers

Best Answer

If you are talking about getting AKC papers, you need to follow directions on their website:

www.apps.akc.org/.../faq_dogreg.cfm

It is complicated and quite frankly, unless you are going to show dogs, not worth the trouble.

If you are going to sell the pups, people want to see both mom and dad and your records so keep good documentation.

If you are going to show the dogs, contact the AKC and find out exactly what needs to be done.

Good luck! Your pup is very sweet!! I hope you and she have a lovely life together!!!

Just one more thing...when I got my girl as a pup (going on 20 years ago now....we have a boy now), the vet told me if I didn't get her spayed at 6 months, she would be at HUGE risk for breast and uterine cancer. My girl was my baby and I didn't want to breed her so I knew that was best for her. She lived to 17 1/2 years of age!!

If I had wanted to breed her, the vet said one litter and then spay and her risk would be higher than if I had her spayed at 6 months, but less than if I breed her twice.

Just some food for thought! Talk to your vet about what is best for YOUR PUP!! I just know what my vet said for my now fur angel!!

I got this pup from a friend. The mother is a short haired Chihuahua and I was told that the father is also short haired. She's 3 months old now, but I'm thinking she could be a mix. Is this possible or is this just a long haired Chihuahua pup?

Answers

Best Answer

If both parents were short haired dogs and your dog has long hair this could actually be possible. One of the parents came from a mother or father who had long hair. The dog still has the genes for this and can produce a dog with long hair.

Basically, if your dog is mixed it is hard to tell one way or the other. The normal procedure to tell the dog's true breed is a DNA test.

I rescued a puppy and they said a breeder brought them 2 litters of Chihuahuas and that he was a full blooded Chihuahua. He looks just like a Chihuahua to me. I took him to my vet for a check-up today and he weighed 5.3 and is now almost 15 weeks.

I was wondering about how much more he will gain before he is full grown? I was hoping for an under 10 pound fog, but if he gets bigger I will still love him whether he is full blooded or not. Also why a breeder would not sell them? Could he be a mix? I love him no matter what the answer.

I'm looking to breed my female Chihuahua with a purebred male Chihuahua, but I just want to know if she's purebred or a Min-Pin? Her ears are the only thing that look weird to me.

Answers

I googled "chihuahua min pin" and quite a few dogs look like yours but I can't say for sure if she is a mix.

Her 'weird' ears are darling!
She appears to be an 'Apple-Head' Chill on that side of her pedigree.,..through a lifetime of rescuing & other dog related ' jobs', looking at her nose, ears, eye shape & the tapering of her slender legs, I would make an educated guess that she could very easily be half Rat Terrier. Its also possible that she may be part Boston Terrier but heavily favors the Çhi. I suggest this due more to her eye shape which is very unique. I'd still have to put my money on the Rat Terrier mix, though. Either way she's a DOLL!!

She is a purebred deer head Chihuahua.

There is no way of knowing for sure without getting a pure genetic profile. If you are planning on breeding her at all, you at least need to rule out genetic disorders that can be passed on in the gene pool. The "father" needs to be tested as well. Just because a dog is purebred doesn't mean these genes are not present. They often are present, and reputable breeders don't breed dogs that have them. Here's more information.

http://knockout  althtesting.html

Also keep in mind that chihuahuas have large heads. This means puppies sometimes cannot be birthed naturally and an emergency caesarean may be necessary.

There is absolutely no way to know. That's like you asking me to look at you and tell you exactly what your heritage is, dating back centuries. I could only guess. For dogs? Even the DNA test is not 100% concrete, and doesn't "count" officially. What you'd be doing is backyard breeding. Look it up. To find a guaranteed purebred male chihuahua, he'd have to have AKC papers from a breeder. You'd have to pay his owners a fee to rent him as a stud, and also make an arrangement with the puppies. Pick of the litter, percent profit, whatever is agreeable to them. However, they're not going to waste their time with your dog, because as beautiful as she is, she doesn't have papers. That would give them a bad reputation as backyard breeders, and there's a much smaller profit there. The reason people pay more for purebred dogs is because they are dog show winners, have traceable genetics showing no health and genetic problems, and can be shown themselves. People who just want a cute family pet will rescue. Buying your puppies is no different than going to the pound and adopting something that looks like a chihuahua. Which can be done for as low as $50. Yes, people who don't know better may pay more on Craigslist or at a petstore because they don't know better, but you don't know they're going to treat your puppies right or be kind to them, or if they're going to backyard breed them themselves. Before you do this, I'd suggest you look into exactly how many chihuahuas and chihuahua puppies are out there homeless. Check out Free the chi. The chihuahua is the 2nd most overbred dog. There are hundreds of chihuahuas, many puppies, at animal controls all over the country, many on death row because people are backyard breeding and there's too many. There are costs involved as well. Food, vet care, shots, deworming. Get educated on the topic , and see if it's still something you want to do. It's possible you'll end up with 6 adult chihuahuas.

min pin

She looks like chihuahua min pin to me. I have a chihuahua min pin and he looks a lot like yours. She is adorable.

Your puppy looks exactly as my pb deer chihuahua.

Chihuahuas eyes are circle shape and mini pincsher have almond shaped eyes

Anonymous

I have a chihuahua but dont know if is a fullblood because his head is abit different

I want to know if my Chihuahua is pure bred?

By Osvaldo

Answers

Best Answer

Your Chihuahua is adorable. It looks just like My 4 month old little Chihuahua. Is the mom and Dad a full blooded Chihuahua? Your little one looks like a Chihuahua without a doubt. But I am no expert. I am not sure how one tells if it's full blooded unless you know about the mom & Dad.

I got this pup from a friend who says she's a purebred applehead Chi. This is her at 5 & 6 weeks. Can anyone who is familiar with this breed please give opinions? Although I know an actual DNA test is the only way of really knowing, I'd just thought I'd ask for opinions!

Thanks!! (When I got her she had a hot spotfrom flea bites. But my baby is now flea free and sore free!)

Everyone thinks my Chihuahua is a Jack Russell how can I tell? The first photo was taken at 10 weeks. He is now 16 weeks and a little over 5 lbs.

I bought my Chi from a breeder. I met the dogs mam who is a long haired Chi, but I haven't met the stud which I was told is a smooth coat. He has no papers. I was just wondering if he is a full Chihuahua.

Thanks in advance :)

Is my Reeses a Chihuahua? If yes which kind? They say he's a long hair Chihuahua.

Answers

It's hard to see from this picture. You may want to do a DNA test.

I was told my Chihuahua was full bred, but I'm not sure cuz she's a bigger breed! I've googled so many times to see if she is mixed! I want to breed her with another Chihuahua before I get her fixed, but I want opinions if she's full bred or not first!

Kuban was given to me with all of his papers. I do sometimes question whether or not he is a pure bred because I've never seen a Chihuahua like him, but he is certified so why can't I find another Chihuahua that looks the same? I would like to mate him eventually. Is there anyone that knows more about the breed?

He's about 2 months and weighs around 3 lbs.

What breed does my baby Reeses look like? The person that gave him to me said he is a long haired Chihuahua. I have posted this question before. Do people think that my Reeses is a pure bred Chihuahua? Reeses is now 7 months old and his hair is growing out.

My puppy, Reeses, is adorable. I've been told that he is a long hair Chihuahua, but some people have doubts. I wanted to see what others think.

I got my two Chihuahua puppies from a colleague from high school. She was giving them away. At first I got the boy, then a week later I got the girl. I got the pair because they were both brown and I've never seen an all brown Chihuahua before.

When I got them they were a little over 2 months old and they looked like Chihuahuas especially the girl. Now they are 6 months old and the boy, Leo is at least double Bella's size, but doesn't really resemble a pure bred Chihuahua while Bella does. My colleague said their parents were an apple head and a Chihuahua mix.

I have no problem whether Leo is a mix, but my mom refers to him as a "human" because it looks like he has the face of a person. So does anyone know if they are pure or not? We have only had female dogs before this is our first time raising a male dog.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 2, 2017
🎂
🌻
📓