Chihuahua Breed Information and Photos

Category Chihuahua
These popular, small companions are playful, intelligent, and good watch dogs. This page contains chihuahua breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Chihuahua breed is divided into two varieties of differing coat lengths-one with a short coat and the other with a long coat. This small breed has a short, pointed muzzle and dainty feet. They are known for their loyalty and devotion and despite their tiny stature, their suspicious nature makes them good watch dogs. Chihuahuas are very loyal and devoted to their owners.

Group: Toy group.

Purpose of Breed: Companion

Country of Origin: Mexico.

Average Size: These tiny dogs range from 6-9 inches and 2-6 pounds.

Color(s): All solid colors or mixture of colors.

Coat Type: Short or long coats depending on the variety of dog. Short coats are glossy and soft to the touch. Long coats are also soft and can either be straight, wavy or curly.

Grooming: Short coats that require minimal grooming. Long coats need more regular grooming to prevent matting. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: This breed adapts well to apartment living. Although they are small in size, they enjoy plenty of exercise. Happy and content at home, Chihuahuas can be quite sensitive to the cold and should be protected if taken outdoors in inclement weather.

Temperament: The playful Chihuahua is a highly intelligent and responds well to training. It is an excellent companion, although its loyalty and devotion can at times turn to jealousy. Chihuahuas do not enjoy being left alone by themselves and prefer to be with their masters or other family pets. This breed is naturally reserved around unfamiliar people and animals and will bark noisily at strangers.

Common Ailments: The Chihuahua is susceptible to patella luxation and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: The expected life span of the Chihuahua is 15 or more years.

Trivia: The name Chihuahua is derived from the Mexico State of the same name. Chihuahuas prefer the company of their own breed

More Information: Chihuahua Club of America

Can anyone tell if my Chihuahua is an apple or deer head?

Answers

Looks like a deer head.

I see deer head lines...but a little shorter than usual, although it looks like a pup! So cute!! I love all chi's!

This is a deer head chi. Just like its name, the Deer Head Chihuahuas head resembles the facial characteristics of a young deer. It has a long muzzle and large ears.

Deer Heads have a sloped forehead angled approximately 45 degrees where it meets the muzzle. They also have long legs and necks, which make them taller.

Typically, the Deer Head Chihuahua is larger than Apple Head Chis, which tend to stay below 6 pounds in weight.

Your baby is adorable!!

Is my bottle fed puppy a teacup Chihuahua or a regular size Chihuahua? And about how old do you think she is?

Answers

To be honest with you this will be extremely hard to tell right now. Even though the dog was bottle feed when it was small this will depend on a few factors to determine the dog's age. Normally this is done through the teeth of the dog.

You can try to use a growth chart and estimate how old the dog is. Use the chart and the age and weight of the dog to see how much it should weigh when it is say 1 year old. This will give you a better idea if this is a full size or teacup Chihuahua.

A vet could tell you more. Its hard to guess from the picture. Dogs all full grown by a year, so time will tell what she is.

You'll really have to wait a bit longer until she grows bigger to determine that, or take her to get checked out by a pro.

What are the characteristics, nose color, measurements, and weights of Chihuahuas. How do you know it's the real deal?

I'm curious about the breed. I've owned Yorkies, but not Chihuahuas. I appreciate your input.

TIA

Answers

The only real way to make sure it is purebred is a DNA test. Breeders also have papers for your dog. Just looking is not a guarantee.

There are 6 different breeds of Chihuahuas. Your dog looks sort of like the Apple Head breed. But the Apple Head breed has a black nose and not the light brown nose like yours does. In all the 6 breeds of the dog none of them have the same nose coloring as your dog does. Here is a site you can check out to read about the 6 different breeds of this dog. They give you all the details of the dog, size and color. www.teacupdogdaily.com/.../

At what age does a Chihuahua get it's adult coat color? I was told that my Chi is about a year old, and now the color is changing from a beautiful all white to a beautiful white and tan pattern with what looks like it could even have some striking darker tan patterns emerging. At what age do they generally have their full color patterns?

Answers

My info says 14 months.

What kind of pet Chihuahua do I have?

By sscharles89

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Your Pet's Age
4

Your Pet's Breed
Chihuahua

How and when did you get your pet?
We got our little cutie pie when she was 1 year old. We got her off of craigslist for $50.00. When we first took her to the vet they found signs that she had been abused for most of her life. She was most likely just put in her cage with a blanket which caused multiple health issues including a life threatening ear infection which reached her brain, hip problems, and allergy problems not to mention she does not have a lot of hair which is starting to improve. :) Even though all of this has slowed her down a bit she is still the cutest puppy ever. She is very sensitive; it's like she understands what you are saying lol!

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to cuddle and play outside with our other pup and she likes to sleep by our fireplace! :)

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
Even though all of her health problems she has the cutest little personality and big glossy eyes and is improving a little more everyday ;)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Your Pet's Age
Cricket is 2 yrs old.

Your Pet's Breed
Chihuahua

How and when did you get your pet?
I kept her from a litter that my other dogs had. She was the little runt baby.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She loves to be around my neck in her fleece bag that I made for her.

She weighs 2.4 lbs. She's one of 14 dogs, 9 being Chihuahuas. She is the smallest and the nosiest one of all 14. Lol. She thinks she's a Pit Bull, but she's very loving.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

We found Bella at a monthly swap meet in Mulvane Kansas, we took a horse there to sell. As we was leaving my wife spotted a lady that had several Chihuahua puppies for sale so we ended up with Bella. She was the only short haired one of the bunch.

Bella (Chihuahua) - brown dog in a purple and white sweater

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

It was in 2001 and I wanted a dog. I was in the area off of Bitters and stopped at the PetSmart there because I heard they had a pet day. When I went in I found out that the company, Chihuahua Rescue, was there. I decided to look at the dogs that were there and I saw Ash.

Ash (Chihuahua)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

This is my girl Chickie, she passed last July after living 3 years with GME meningitis, we adopted her with her brother and she was an amazing girl. She was always smiling and happy and loved her family so very much!

In Memory of Chickie (Chihuahua)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2
Load More

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds ChihuahuaApril 3, 2013
😎
🐛
📓
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Chihuahua-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html