What Is My Chihuahua Mixed With?

There are many sizes and colors of chihuahuas. Your dog may not be mixed with another breed. This guide is about what is my chihuahua mixed with?

My little puppy is almost five months old. He's grown so fast from when we first got him. He has also gotten a lot darker from the first day we got him. We know he's mixed because everyone tells us he is, but we just do not know with what.

By Vanessa B

Answers

Best Answer

He probably isn't mixed with anything! He looks like a pure bred Chi to me. Many people have a preconceived notion of what a Chi is supposed to look like and any that deviate from their notion simply must be mixed with something else.

The fact is that Chihuahuas come in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes. There is two pound Chis and 12 pound Chis, apple heads and deer heads, tall slender Chis and short stocky Chis. The "original" Chihuahua that came from Mexico these many years ago looked very different from today's Chihuahuas.

Breeders have made them even smaller than they already were. They have tried to breed in the round "apple" head and the "bug" eyes because people thought that was cuter. The fact is that only the show dogs really look like the show standard any way.

I love Chihuahuas and have had Chis since I was 12 years old. I am not a breeder, I could never go that route. But I do know Chihuahuas. I have a brindle Chihuahua which admittedly is not a common Chi color. And she is a larger Chi at around 9 pounds. I know that she is 100% Chihuahua but I don't have to prove it to anybody. LOL

I have had people that I don't even know ask what she is mixed with. Its none of their business, so I usually tell them that she is half Chi and half Pit Bull. I don't even think that would be possible, but some probably believe me. LOL

Don't worry about "IF" your baby is mixed or "WHAT" he might be mixed with and just enjoy your beautiful little one.

My dog's mother is full blooded Chihuahua with short hair. I don't know what her daddy is. She doesn't have short hair like her mother.

Answers

Wire Hair Terrier

Any answers here would be guesses. The only way to know for sure is to have your vet run a DNA test on the dog.

Anonymous

full blooded and short hair

Some kind of terrier for sure. Wire hair might not be far off!

I have to say that due to the soft white of the hair he almost looks like he has Maltese in him

Here's some fun sites with great questionnaires to see what she might be: pethelpful.com/.../breeds-in-mutt

acovant.com/mutt.html

of course to truly see what sort of dog she is, a vet's attention, and possibly a DNA test, are the only way to tell.

I'll take her! She is adorable! Years ago we had a pure bred long haired Chihuahua and she sure looks like him - but there are several breeds that have some of the same characteristics, even Pomeranians.
As you can tell by the answers, not many agree on the same mix so the only sure way is to pay ($100.00) for a DNA test.
You may want to spend that money if you plan on breeding her but if you just want to know - then maybe one of these sites can give you a better idea. You just upload a photo and most of the time the answers are pretty spot on.

If nothing else - do it for fun.

www.what-dog.net/#

www.petmd.com/.../photoupload