Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

This is a lice treatment I learned about today on my trip to Walgreens, from a dear friend who I go to church with who works there. Combine 6 oz. dawn dish detergent, 2 oz. white vinegar, and 2 tablespoons tea tree oil. Put on hair for ten minutes.

The way you tell if a lice egg is alive or not is to put it on the counter and smash it with your fingernail, it pops kind of (yes, morbid I know). Maintain the effect by putting 15 drops of tea tree oil into any shampoo, and washing hair two times a week with it. All of the above listed items are at Walgreens. Lice free is a non-toxic treatment sold there also. It smells like licorice and it can be used as often as desired with no ill effects.

Janitorial supply stores sell lice spray cheaper than Walgreens and Walmart.

Note: Tea Tree Oil is toxic to cats, so don't shampoo them with it!

By Robyn Fed from Hampton TN

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Rachel C.01/07/2013

BEWARE if anyone has epilepsy, do not use tea tree oil or any products containing it. Found this through bad personal experience.

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]11/16/2010

Very timely tip, since colder weather and the proximity of all those little hats and such spread the little horrors. If I'd known about tea tree oil years ago, my kids might not have gone through such terrible times while I tried to free them of the scourge!

By Judy = Oklahoma [57]11/12/2010

I put tee tree oil in our shampoo because my husband & 1 son have a big problem with dandruff & I got tired of paying the high cost of dandruff shampoo. It really helps for that. I also put it in our hand soap. I didn't know it helped with lice but I'm not surprised, it seems to be good for a lot of stuff! But I do have to say that tee tree oil does not smell like licorice to me, & it can really make your eyes tear up from the 'fumes' (like eucalyptus) if you spill it or use too much! I love it, but it drives my kids nuts when I spill it in the bathroom! LOL!
Thanks for the info! My kids only got lice once (my daughter got them when she spent the night with a friend), but I now have 5 grandkids getting ready to go into the school system in a year or so & it may come on handy!

By Louise B. [4]11/12/2010

Pardon my skepticism, but I am pretty sure that if any of these "natural" remedies actually worked, my mother wouldn't tell of having her head doused with coal oil when she was a child to get rid of head lice. Somebody would have had something less toxic.

And as far as preventive measures go, I taught in elementary schools for 35 and had 3 sons who went to school, and we never had head lice, and there were many, many outbreaks. What did we do to prevent them? Not much. But nobody traded hats with a friend, used another's hairbrush or comb, and little boys tend not to play with their head all snuggy against another's.

The best remedy for being ashamed of having headlice came about in one of my grade 2 classes during show and tell. One of my little girls had long blond hair, lovely curls that fell nearly to her waist. It was magnificent hair. When we got an outbreak of lice in the school, she got up in show and tell and explained how she had had head lice in grade one when she was in her other school, and then explained how you treated it. Believe me, when all the kids realized that she could have head lice, no one was embarrassed about it!!!

If parents and schools treat lice outbreaks in the same way as they would the flu or a cold, no one will be embarrassed.

By Lilac [18]11/12/2010

It is so much better to use these natural remedies than to put insecticide (Rid) on your child's head. I think they will soon take that toxic stuff off the market.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

Once you get rid of head lice you should put 10 drops of tea tree oil in your shampoo and conditioner bottle, and you will never get it again. There is something in it the the lice do not like, and they will stay off your head. You can also do 10 drops of tea tree oil and some water in a small spray bottle and spray on hats, furniture, seats in your car, etc. I am a firm believer this really works!

By Laura from Orestes, IN

RE: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

You are right there. I use tea tree shampoo and conditioner from Swawson. (06/17/2009)

By Joyce wis

RE: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

My DD was sent home last year with head lice, and one other girl was sent home. The next week, they were both sent home again with head lice, along with a third girl. It was the third girl that must have had it to begin with because neither girl had it again after that. I am going to get some tee tree oil and put it in my DD's shampoo. Thank you for sharing this. (06/17/2009)

By jmz2005

RE: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

I love tea tree oil. It has really helped my rosacea. It's good to know this hint, just in case! (06/17/2009)

By mulberry204

RE: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

Please be careful not to use on furniture, if you have cats. Cats can get sick and even die with exposure to tea tree oil. Even the particulates in the air released by the essential oil can cause concern. (06/17/2009)

By Chiismychi

RE: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

I would like to add that my podiatrist suggested I use it on my nail fungus. The directions say to mix tea tree oil with a carrier oil such as olive oil, and it will absorb through the nail to where the fungus starts. (06/17/2009)

By coreenhart

RE: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

I do the spray bottle and every morning after I brush my daughter's hair she gets sprayed with it. I started that when she started school. ;) (06/17/2009)

By bjarrett

RE: Use Tea Tree Oil to Repel Head Lice

Wish I'd known this tip years ago, when my kids were fighting the problem (and the embarrassment!) Could've maybe saved my daughters' beautiful hair that summer. They looked like Sinead O'Connor for a few weeks! (06/21/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.