Use Mayo When Making Grilled Cheese Instead Of Butter

Use a good quality mayo instead of butter when making grilled cheese sandwiches. It browns beautifully, and the flavor is wonderful. Mayo also has a fraction of the saturated fat of butter.

By jrmahon from Shreveport, LA

This must be a Louisiana thing. We live south of you. Hubby is from here and he got my older kids (his stepchildren) stuck on that. They are in their 20's now and on their own and they still do that

Hmm....sounds yummy! But I'm not sure that mayo being in lower in saturated fat than butter is a benefit. It's a myth that saturated fat is bad for you! Read this site:

There are lots of thought provoking articles on there!

I love mayo but I simply can't imagine using it in place of butter for a grilled cheese but we all have our individual likes and dislikes but I will at least try it once ;-) Also, as far as saturated fats go (whether they are healthy for a person or not), mayo actually has more saturated fat than butter. Mayo is 5.3 per gram and butter is 5.2 per gram ;-)

She's right - it does brown bread better than butter...say that 3 times fast :) To those who question it, try it, but you don't have to use as much mayo as you do the butter. Try it for all your melts like tuna and turkey - it's delicious.

The label on my Hellman's real mayo has 1.5 grams of saturated fat per serving. I hesitated to try it too, but the flavor is delicious, much more interesting than butter!

Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Cheese Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJune 19, 2009
Grilled Cheese
Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Healthy grille cheese with tomatoes.
Low Fat Grilled Cheese Recipes