Grilled Cheese Tips and Tricks

Use a good quality mayo instead of butter when making grilled cheese sandwiches. It browns beautifully, and the flavor is wonderful. Mayo also has a fraction of the saturated fat of butter.

By Renee Strange from Shreveport, LA

7 More Solutions

For a fast "not grilled cheese" sandwich, toast bread and butter the outsides. Place sliced cheese between two slices of toast and microwave for 30 seconds to melt cheese.

When my son makes grilled cheese sandwiches, he cuts them diagonally and sets them on the cut edge! No more sandwiches with one side that is damp from sitting on the plate.

No More Soggy Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

This along with a bowl of tomato soup is one of my husband's favorite meals! It's fast, easy, and a great twist on a classic grilled cheese!

As a student or anyone with no stove privileges, one can make a quick and easy grilled cheese sandwich on an iron. Assemble sandwich with buttered bread, wrap it in tin foil, and "fry" it on your iron.

A lowfat way to be able to enjoy a "grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup" is to toast the bread then add cheese and microwave 30 seconds or until the cheese melts! You don't have to load down with the butter and it's still very enjoyable!

My mother used to make the nicest grilled cheese sandwiches in a Le Creuset frying pan (enamel coating with iron). Those are quite heavy. I recently purchased a Chantal skillet (enamel coating with carbon steel) and am wondering if anyone has found a difference between the two products. Or possibly they are so different that I am going to have to replace it with the exact pan my mother used.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers

Holly-- get a black iron griddle, season it and don't clean it too much-- just wipe it with salt and a cloth while barely warm-- rinse and store after drying-- beats everything for price and fine food-- and I think is much better, anyway. I have a Lodge round griddle-- of course, there is a two burner model, too. Found new ones at Academy sports store-- for campers, hunters.
good luck

Answer this Question

If you like grilled cheese or your kids ask for them, try using mayonnaise on the outer sides of the bread instead of butter or oleo.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsAugust 30, 2012
🎉
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Grilled-Cheese-Tips-and-Tricks.html