Storing Dry Goods to Avoid Weevils

I recently had a major battle with Mealy Bugs (Boll Weevils) in my packages of flour, rice, pasta, etc., and I can't afford to purchase enough glass or metal canisters to store the many food items I had replace. Blessedly, I keep empty metal coffee cans and glass Marie's salad dressing jars and decided those would be the new storage facilities for the replacement food so those darn buggies don't infest almost everything in the cabinet again!

It just so happens that the labels are easily removable from Marie's jars and also from the brand of coffee I buy, so all I had to do is use a Sharpie pen to write the contents on the side of the glass jars and on the plastic lid of the coffee cans. In the future I plan to dress up the outside of the coffee cans with fabric and the cool thing about the dressing jars is that they already look decorated because of the contents.

Another preventative plus to doing this is that it will help keep other assorted creepy crawly critters besides Mealy Bugs from attacking your food supply too.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I have had trouble with those in the past as well. I discovered that putting a bay leaf in the flour container will keep out those type of bugs. It also no effect on the taste or smell of the flour. Not sure if it works in cereals though, never tried that.

I do the same thing! I have jars lined up with everything you can think of in them. Keeps them fresh and bug free, doesn't it? :-)

My mother-in-law taught me to put my flour and grain items in my freezer for two weeks. It kills the weevil eggs so they never hatch. (All grains have weevil eggs) Since I've been doing this, I've never had weevil problems again. I even put my crackers and noodles in the freezer if I don't think they'll be eaten soon enough. I like the jar idea too! I love a clean pantry! :-) Thanks!

Those would be "weevils", not Boll Weevils, which infect cotton plants. I live in the South and my family grew cotton years ago.

Storing Dry Goods
Storing Dry Goods
Food and Recipes StorageNovember 10, 2010
Stored food in a jars in a pantry.
Keeping Weevils Out of Stored Food
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Dry Goods
Freezing Dry Goods
Dry laundry detergent stored in glass canisters.
Storing Dry Laundry Detergent