Freezing Dry Goods

Category Dry Goods
Freezing dry goods is a great way to store them and extend their shelf life. This is a guide about freezing dry goods.

Store your legumes, flour, oatmeal and nuts in the fridge or freezer. They won't get weevils or insects, and will last longer.

By Dorty from SA

Freezing flour for 24 hours will kill any larvae, saving you a lot of work getting rid of pantry moths.

Freezing grains also prevents them from getting rancid. I always have my flour in the freezer.

In order to avoid moths and pantry pests, take your dry goods as soon as you purchase them and stick them in the freezer for a minimum of three days. This generally kills any eggs or larvae that are just waiting to destroy your food.

If you have the room, you can just keep them in there as well, especially if, like me, you tend to buy a lot in bulk when items are on sale.

This works for rice, beans, nuts, seeds, and any kind of grains.

I put all my new packages of flour and macaroni into the freezer or refrigerator and never worry about it going bad or buggy. All is fresh when I need it. By ginny

Can brown sugar be stored in the freezer?

Sharon from Minneapolis, MN

Answers

Best Answer

I do it but I double wrap in plastic bags that are sealed well.

By Paula Jo Carr Mebane, NC (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I was raised doing that very thing and still do. I put sugar (brown and white), flour and cornstarch all in the freezer.

It was my assumption that we did that to keep the bugs away (if their ever were any that is) and nearly 55 years later I still to it to this day and have yet to see a bug in any of it.