Clothing StainsCleaning

Yellow Spots From a Bleach Stick

I have a pair of white cotton capri's that have a few stains on them. I used a "bleach stick" on the stains and threw them in the hamper to be washed. At the end of the week, upon washing the capris, I found that they had yellowed wherever I had put the "bleach stick" on the stains. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the yellowed spots from my white cotton capris?

Thanks

Tracy from Overland Park, KS

First of all, trying washing your capris in cold water to see if the stains come out. If the stains don't come out after washing, dry them in the sun -- the sun is a natural bleacher. If worse comes to worse, wash them again with bleach and dishwasher powder (I would actually just do this to the spots) rinse and dry. Good luck!

If these capris are denim, they probably have a chemical in them that react to bleach. That's why they say 'no bleach'. I had this happen once when I added bleach to the wash water, they turned a cruddy brown. I used Rit dye remover and they turned white again, but they were still wet when I soaked them. You could try it anyway to see what happens.

There are fabrics that shouldn't be bleached. It's best, if you need a bleach stick, to only use it right before washing the item. it sounds like it might be a reaction between the bleach and the fabric and may be irreversable. Bleach is very strong stuff and not good for everything.

Susan from ThriftyFun