Homemade Vegetable Wash Recipes

It is important to wash your vegetables and remove any pesticides and dirt form their skin. Making your own vegetable wash is simple and affordable. This page contains homemade vegetable wash recipes.

Vegatables being washed in a sink.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Bowl containing two artichokes and an apple in veggie wash.Washing your produce before you eat them is an important food prep step. But there is no need to waste your money on expensive vegetable washes when you probably have all the ingredients you need sitting around your house.

• 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • large bowl of water

Directions:

Add vinegar and salt to a pot of cool water. Soak fruits and vegetables in it for 5-10 minutes. Then, rinse the produce once or twice before using.

It is important wash your produce, especially if you are not using organic produce because pesticides stick to your fruits and veggies. Even if I splurge on organics, I will still wash my produce before using, to get any dirt or bugs off. The vinegar helps remove any pesticide residue and the salt helps kill any bugs that are hanging out.

By StellaBell from Manchester, WA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need an economical fruit and vegetable wash.

By Hannah from Las Vegas, NV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you noticed that green grocers always have a fine mist spraying on the vegetables? Then, why do "they" tell us to wash and "dry thoroughly" before storing? Why? So it will spoil and you need to buy more!

I began to wash and store mine in a large baggie, add two TBS cold water (or two ice cubes), push all air out before sealing. This give cold moisture and no oxygen to fresh produce, even sliced pieces. I can keep all fresh for a month.

No more gray moldy onion halves. no more rotting tomato slices, no more brown lettuce/spinach, no more slimy green onions and cut green peppers. Whole vegetables stay crisp and look like the day you bought them. Each time I open the bag to use something, 2-3 times per week, I simply pour out the water and add a dash of fresh cold water, push the air out and seal again. Try it!

Read More Answers...

Anyone have a recipe safe to spray on veggies and fruit fresh from the market? I wash all fresh produce before putting it away as it eliminates fruit flies, dirt, pesticides, etc. I have been using antibacterial spray from the store then rinsing with water, but would like to make my own if possible.

By patvan from MO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I failed to notice you said "spray on". I am sure you could also spray this on, rinse and use.

Read More Answers...

What is the homemade recipe for cleaning vegetables. Long ago there was something called Fit. I can not find the recipe I had. If anyone has this recipe I would appreciate it very much if you would share it.
Thank you.

By Jodi from east TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can order it online at http://www.tryfit.com/

Cleaning your fruits and vegetables before using them will help remove any residual dirt or other contaminates they might have picked up. This is a guide about washing fruits and vegetables.

washing fruits and veggies

I need a recipe for cleaning fruit and vegetables.

By Betty B from McAlpin, FL

Answers:

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Good old running water and a soft bristle brush are really all you need to clean veggies. If you are washing melons, a little dish soap wouldn't hurt to help get any dirt off the rind before you cut them.

Previous posters are recommending a bit of vinegar in the water and that'd be fine too, but really it is the physical act of washing/rinsing that takes care of the surface gungies. (03/23/2011)

By MooseMom

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a recipe to use for washing fruits and vegetables to remove spray residues.

By Ben from The Plains, OH

Answers:

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

I would not trust the FDA and any of their suggestions for the life of me. Vinegar and water is what I use. I'm hesitant to pay the extra price for organic produce because I wonder if it really is. The only sure way to know is to grow it yourself if you have the space, time, and patience; which I don't. (12/22/2010)

By TXBetty

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

A cup of simple vinegar in a sink full of water and then rinse. It's best to not wash any fruit or veggie that doesn't have a thick skin until just before using unless you are going to completely dry them before storing otherwise they go bad more quickly (example: lettuce, green onions, berries, etc. go bad more quickly if they are damp). (12/22/2010)

By Deeli

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am interested in making my own veggie wash.

By Kristine from Hailey, ID

Answers:

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Use the Find link at the top of this website, I think you'll find the answer. (11/14/2010)

By MCW

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Apple cider vinegar diluted with water. Rinse/rub/scrub any actual dirt off if you see any, then soak for a few minutes in a solution of water with apple cider vinegar. That helps remove anything that is on the vegetable and decrease oils/waxes etc. Organic is better, but regular will do. (11/16/2010)

By threehorses

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What do I use to make a vegetable wash?

By Neal from Leawood, KS

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm looking for a recipe to make a homemade veggie and fruit wash, as opposed to buying the expensive bottles in the produce sections.

By chocolatelover from WI

Answers:

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

What's wrong with plain water? (06/11/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Agree with Glenn'sMom ...

You don't need to use anything to wash fruits and vegetables other than hands washed with soap and water and fresh, clean water. Fruits and vegetables are porous and will absorb any "wash" whether it be soap, bleach, or vinegar. Also, many stores are now touting "special washes." Save your money because the 'washes' are simply a money making ploy.

A tip: Do not wash fruits and vegetables until serving, because washing before storage causes the produce to spoil more quickly. (06/12/2009)

By Deeli

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

This is an excerpt from recipegoldmine.com.

Vegetable Cleaner. From Linda (carnation037)

At the grocery store you can find a product in the produce aisle - a spray bottle of "fruit and vegetable
cleaner." When you look at the label for the ingredients, you will find the main ingredients are vinegar and water. You can make your own veggie wash solution very cheaply, for the cost of a spray bottle and a bottle of vinegar (which you probably already have in your cupboard, anyway.)

To make the solution, simply mix a few tablespoons of vinegar with the water in the spray bottle and you're in business for a whole lot less! (Don't worry, it doesn't leave a smell on your produce, and it works great!) (06/12/2009)

By micksgirl

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Water, if your fruits and veggies are better organic (especially peaches, strawberries) because they absorb the air and moisture around them, then they'll absorb any cleaner. I use water and if it's wax on apples just rub it, I use a LITTLE baking soda if I have to. (06/13/2009)

By michawnpita

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

I posted this once before but it is worth knowing. A few years ago I went to see "The Juice Man" and he said in a clean sink or bowl put 4 tablespoons of salt, fill bowl with cold water and when salt has dissolved, add juice of half of a large lemon (or all of 1 smaller size), soak fruit or veggies for 20 minutes then rinse REALLY well. Berries need only a 10 min. soak. (06/13/2009)

By CAKEDEC

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

From Rodale.com:

Recent outbreaks of food-borne illness, including salmonella and E. Coli infections, remind us that our food supply may not be as safe as we think it is. A 20-second plain-water rinse will get rid of some bacteria, but for better protection, make your own natural cleaning concoction:

Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar, and 1 cup cold tap water in a spray bottle, shake well, and apply to your produce. Rinse with tap water before cooking or serving. Also remember to wash your hands before handling or preparing food; plain soap and hot water work just as well at killing germs as soaps labeled "antibacterial." (06/13/2009)

By Naturegrl77

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

I am confused about the copy and pasted reference from Naturegrl77 because while doing a search from the Rodale.com site search engine itself regarding washing fruits and vegetables there were only these two articles they reference:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/what-you-should-know-about-produce-sanatizers

http://www.prevention.com/cda/article/is-your-produce-poisoned/003a323b0b803110VgnVCM20000012281eac____/nutrition.recipes/grocery.guru/food.safety.basics?print=true

(06/13/2009)

By Deeli

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Supposedly, the FDA currently does not recommend using anything besides water. If so, recipes like the ones suggested on this page aren't really necessary. However, it seems to me many oil-based residues that are not entirely water-soluble, such as pesticides, waxy preservatives, and oils from the hands of shoppers who search for the most appealing fruits and vegetables.

This consumer education video provides more information about the produce washing controvery: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKLL6c_WBKM.

Has anyone come across any good data about the health consequences of these oil-based residues? (11/02/2009)

By mrosen777

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

How can fruits and veggies be porous? They would pick up every germ there is, to say nothing of how soggy they would all be after the rain! God put skins around many to prevent this. And leafy veggies, etc. have their own way of preventing this! The "juice man" one makes sense, because the salt, water and lemon juice makes a strong acid wash! (11/11/2009)

By cheffee

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When you use vinegar for veggie wash, what kind? White or cider?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How to wash your fruits and vegetables with a simple solution using items you can find in your pantry.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone know how to make a natural, inexpensive vegetable wash?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesSeptember 8, 2011
Pairs of Baby Socks on a Clothesline
Keeping Baby Socks Together in the Wash
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
Homemade Body Wash in a Bottle
Homemade Body Wash Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 1:56:20 PM on 10.0.2.96 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.