Browsing: Homemade Vegetable Wash Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Vegetable Wash Recipes

It is important to wash your vegetables and remove any pesticides and dirt form their skin. Making your own vegetable wash is simple and affordable. This page contains homemade vegetable wash recipes.

Vegatables being washed in a sink.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 12, 2011 Flag
Bowl containing two artichokes and an apple in veggie wash.Washing your produce before you eat them is an important food prep step. But there is no need to waste your money on expensive vegetable washes when you probably have all the ingredients you need sitting around your house.

• 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • large bowl of water

Directions:

Add vinegar and salt to a pot of cool water. Soak fruits and vegetables in it for 5-10 minutes. Then, rinse the produce once or twice before using.

It is important wash your produce, especially if you are not using organic produce because pesticides stick to your fruits and veggies. Even if I splurge on organics, I will still wash my produce before using, to get any dirt or bugs off. The vinegar helps remove any pesticide residue and the salt helps kill any bugs that are hanging out.

By StellaBell from Manchester, WA

April 26, 2011 Flag

I need an economical fruit and vegetable wash.

By Hannah from Las Vegas, NV

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Water and a light swish or scrub (depending on what you're washing) is all you need. If you don't think simple water is enough then use a vinegar and water solution but keep in mind that unless it has a hard non-porous skin like an apple the vinegar will seep into the pores of the fruit or vegetable.

I use a solution of 3% peroxide, 1 tablespoon peroxide per gallon of water. Soak two minutes, then rinse.

Have you noticed that green grocers always have a fine mist spraying on the vegetables? Then, why do "they" tell us to wash and "dry thoroughly" before storing? Why? So it will spoil and you need to buy more!

I began to wash and store mine in a large baggie, add two TBS cold water (or two ice cubes), push all air out before sealing. This give cold moisture and no oxygen to fresh produce, even sliced pieces. I can keep all fresh for a month.

No more gray moldy onion halves. no more rotting tomato slices, no more brown lettuce/spinach, no more slimy green onions and cut green peppers. Whole vegetables stay crisp and look like the day you bought them. Each time I open the bag to use something, 2-3 times per week, I simply pour out the water and add a dash of fresh cold water, push the air out and seal again. Try it!

April 29, 2012 Flag

Anyone have a recipe safe to spray on veggies and fruit fresh from the market? I wash all fresh produce before putting it away as it eliminates fruit flies, dirt, pesticides, etc. I have been using antibacterial spray from the store then rinsing with water, but would like to make my own if possible.

By patvan from MO

Use a gallon of distilled (or boiled and cooled) or filtered water. 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 cider vinegar (white is ok also). Let the veggies sit inside the water about 5-10 minutes. (Don't use the whole gallon necessarily, pour into a bowl what you need). Rinse and use.

I failed to notice you said "spray on". I am sure you could also spray this on, rinse and use.

May 16, 2012 Flag

What is the homemade recipe for cleaning vegetables. Long ago there was something called Fit. I can not find the recipe I had. If anyone has this recipe I would appreciate it very much if you would share it.
Thank you.

By Jodi from east TX

You can order it online at http://www.tryfit.com/

September 4, 2014 Flag

Cleaning your fruits and vegetables before using them will help remove any residual dirt or other contaminates they might have picked up. This is a guide about washing fruits and vegetables.

washing fruits and veggies

April 26, 2011 Flag

I need a recipe for cleaning fruit and vegetables.

By Betty B from McAlpin, FL

Answers:

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Good old running water and a soft bristle brush are really all you need to clean veggies. If you are washing melons, a little dish soap wouldn't hurt to help get any dirt off the rind before you cut them.

Previous posters are recommending a bit of vinegar in the water and that'd be fine too, but really it is the physical act of washing/rinsing that takes care of the surface gungies. (03/23/2011)

By MooseMom

March 22, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a recipe to use for washing fruits and vegetables to remove spray residues.

By Ben from The Plains, OH

Answers:

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

I would not trust the FDA and any of their suggestions for the life of me. Vinegar and water is what I use. I'm hesitant to pay the extra price for organic produce because I wonder if it really is. The only sure way to know is to grow it yourself if you have the space, time, and patience; which I don't. (12/22/2010)

By TXBetty

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

A cup of simple vinegar in a sink full of water and then rinse. It's best to not wash any fruit or veggie that doesn't have a thick skin until just before using unless you are going to completely dry them before storing otherwise they go bad more quickly (example: lettuce, green onions, berries, etc. go bad more quickly if they are damp). (12/22/2010)

By Deeli

December 21, 2010 Flag

I am interested in making my own veggie wash.

By Kristine from Hailey, ID

Answers:

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Use the Find link at the top of this website, I think you'll find the answer. (11/14/2010)

By MCW

Make Your Own Vegetable Wash

Apple cider vinegar diluted with water. Rinse/rub/scrub any actual dirt off if you see any, then soak for a few minutes in a solution of water with apple cider vinegar. That helps remove anything that is on the vegetable and decrease oils/waxes etc. Organic is better, but regular will do. (11/16/2010)

By threehorses

November 14, 2010 Flag

What do I use to make a vegetable wash?

June 8, 2010 Flag

I'm looking for a recipe to make a homemade veggie and fruit wash, as opposed to buying the expensive bottles in the produce sections.

June 11, 2009 Flag

When you use vinegar for veggie wash, what kind? White or cider?

May 29, 2009 Flag

How to wash your fruits and vegetables with a simple solution using items you can find in your pantry.

September 28, 2006 Flag

Does anyone know how to make a natural, inexpensive vegetable wash?

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesSeptember 8, 2011
Pairs of Baby Socks on a Clothesline
Keeping Baby Socks Together in the Wash
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
Homemade Body Wash in a Bottle
Homemade Body Wash Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 13, 2016 at 12:52:48 AM on 10.0.0.14 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.