Home Remedies For Ear Ache

What could I do to make my ear ache go away?

By Stephanie C. from Savannah, TN

Forget about home remedies, and get to a doctor. You could have an infection, requiring antibiotics, which could cause you to lose part or all of your hearing in that ear, unless you treat it.

Where ear infections are concerned, you only have a very SMALL window of treatment opportunity--about two weeks, according to my ENT specialist--before permanent damage can take place.

So please, get to a doctor quickly.

I use a homeopathic ear drop that is made for children. It's called Similasan Children's Earache Relief. You can buy it at any drug store, and sometimes in Wal-mart.

I have done this for years and it works. Get some Vicks put a tiny dab on a small cotton ball remember just a little warm it up not hot put inside the ear then rub some around the outside of the ear. I have done this on my kids and grand kids. That little bottle of Vicks is a miracle worker. I use it for all things. I keep it my medicine cabinet with a can of snuff, that's good for insect bites.

I used to have a lot of trouble with ear aches which was due to what they call swimmer's ear and which didn't start until I was in my 30's. I seldom swim, but have lived in a humid climate since my 30's. A family doctor recommended homemade ear drops of half alcohol and half vinegar to help keep my ears dry. I also use ear wax removal every month or two to keep my ears clear of the excessive wax that I have always had to contend with!

The MD told me years ago, while treating son for swimmer's ear, that if you put the corner of the towel in the ear after swimming,showering that will draw out any water. She also said that girls don't get as many swimmer's ears because of the use of blow dryers - so she told the boys to carefully use the hand dryer in the locker room after swimming. No more problems and that was about 7 years ago! Good luck -and I agree with "get to an MD". You don't want to mess up your hearing or deal with pain any longer than necessary!

If not too deep, use straight Peroxide drops several times a day, plug with cotton after a few minutes. Stop eating/drinking all milk and by products, including dips, cheese, butter, ice cream, yogurt, and salad dressings, as you may have developed a milk sensitivity and the WHEY in all those products is mucogenic (causes mucous in membranes like the sinus which drains into the throat and sometimes gets infected by trapping bacteria/virus which then can get into the ear). If you are sensitive now, it makes reactions worse, slower to heal. Keep hands and nails extra clean, especially before treating or touching ear, even cotton balls. Wash hair brushes, hair, pillowcases, and get a new toothbrush. All can contribute to any infection in the head.

I suggest taking over the counter Guafinesin (1-2 days as directed on box if not taking RX) expectorant, because it inadvertently also decongests other mucous membrane areas, don't know why. Also, take one strong Tylenol every 4 hours for 1-2 days until pain is gone and you no longer need relief.

Put no q-tips, or other instruments or pencils into the ear EVER to "scratch what itches" as we all do from time to time, sometimes without even thinking, because they are not sterile and can infect ears easily at any time. Also, stop eating popcorn, cheap crackers, cheap buttery products because there is some type of chemical in spray butter, which they also use before making fast food burgers, that gets into our mucous and plugs the ears. It took me years to figure it out.

If you have a fever, forget this and go to the doctor, if not, it is likely what will work for you, even after seeing a doctor. I'm not medically trained, just an experienced elder who prefers natural healing where possible, not eliminating all meds, but reducing the heavy dependency on them!

God bless, heal and help you. : )

My husband had wax build up and we went to the local health food store and bought an ear candle it helps melt the wax.

Please take him to a Dr. an earache can be very painful.

little girl frowning and holding her ear
Home Remedies for Earache Pain
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJuly 8, 2009
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
Elephant Ear Plant
Wintering an Elephant Ear Plant