Tips for Saving Money on Food

1. It's summer, grow stuff! You don't need a garden. I grow vegetables in containers outside my back door. Some is eaten as it's picked, the rest becomes soups, sauces, cakes, etc. for the freezer. Also, look for roadside stands for produce while the weather is warm.
  2. Check the dollar store. They usually have a food aisle.
  3. If you have a Big Lots in your area, I highly recommend it. Not only do they have lower priced, name brand food, they also usually have closeout shelves where items are half off their prices.
  4. Believe it or not, you can also sometimes find food at garage sales. I once collected a whole bag of canned goods from a homeowner who was moving and didn't want to pack and move the stuff.
  5. Ad

6. Be clever and creative in the kitchen. Think of new ways to use what you already have on hand.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

"If you have a Big Lots in your area, I highly recommend it. Not only do they have lower priced, name brand food, they also usually have closeout shelves where items are half off their prices. "

""

I use to love Big Lots ..till the last time I shopped for food there.. After I got home & was putting thing awat I saw a sticker over a price ... The price under was the same price printed on the package ... thats no deal where I come from. So I started checking and a lot of there things are priced the same with their sticker over the other/same price to make it look like a savings ..

I don't think it's a good idea to buy food at garage sales. Just my personal opinion. You really don't know how the food was stored and if it's still good. I suppose canned goods with dates would be ok. I would just be a little skeptical of someone selling food at their sale instead of just giving it to a food bank or to a friend or relative.