Painting Formica Counter Tops

What is the best way to paint or recondition a 20+ year old Formica kitchen counter top?

By Dan from Honeoye Falls, NY

Scroll down to the archives on this page for some information and also go to the following two links for oodles of sublinks to check out for information and ideas: ... p;top=none&act.x=19&act.y=21 ... p;top=none&act.x=23&act.y=15

Unfortunately painting them will not solve your problem. It would only add to them. Being that it is in a kitchen it will get allot of use, moisture. things sliding across them. The paint won't stick and will be starting to peel before a months end if not sooner. Formica is very slick and paint will not stick to that.

You would have to sand the surface which would expose the particleboard under. Those spots would soak up way too much of the paint and start to swell and warp. You would never get a nice finished look to those areas. I'm real sorry but the facts are real and I don't like to see folks upset and disappointing over their projects when they should have been told before hand.

They do make a conditioning wax/oil that will bring back some of the color and looks to it. It is called Butcher Block wood conditioner and wax. It penetrates into the surface. You can also do a Lemon Oil treatment to it once in a while and that will also bring it back. I have worked in a Hardware/tool/paint department for thirty five years and have seen and tried many things to do what you are attempting to do and the oils work the best out of all of them.

January 24, 2011 Flag

How do I paint old Formica counter tops?

By oldlinewater from Jackson, AL

Painting Formica Counter Tops

Use a product called Prime Eze, sand lightly, and paint on. Let dry, apply another coat, and then paint the desired color. Don't forget to use a sealant on the finished product! The product is sold at home improvement stores that carry paint and supplies.

Another option (I used this one) is to buy the cans of spray that give a stone or hammered metal texture to lamps, ceramics, picture frames, etc., makes for a great color, gives texture and looks brand new! Good luck. (09/13/2009)

By Beau D

September 8, 2009 Flag

Can I paint my formica countertop?

Jan from Doyle, TN

March 10, 2009 Flag

Can I paint formica kitchen counter tops?

Painting Formica Counter Tops

Yes, you can paint formica countertops but it is quite a process. First you have to clean them exceptionally well with soap and water and then wipe down with alcohol. Then buy a GOOD latex primer such as Bin 123 or anything made by Zinser and apply. Once that is dry, then you may paint. It will take 2 coats probably. You can then do a faux finish if you would like. If you want it to look like granite, go to and she has a granite stencil to use. Of course you will have to have many colors of paint to use it. Then after you have painted it, give it at least 3 coats of LATEX polyurethane. Make sure it is latex or it will yellow. Good luck! (01/03/2008)

By Elaine

Painting Formica Counter Tops

I have also seen painted formica counter top, my mother-in-law did this, she had to do this often, about every 1-2 years. The very best way is just to save up your money & have new counter tops installed. When formica is painted, it takes about a year & a half before they really look bad again, even worse then before they are painted. I'm sorry to sound so negative on the subject, but I have seen these refinished counter tops & they just look terrible after about 1-2 years. (01/04/2008)

By Cricket Girl

Painting Formica Counter Tops

I did it once in a bathroom at at previous house I lived in. The counter top was not very big but I lightly sanded it down and then painted. It still looked good when I moved; if I remember correct I think it was about a year or so later. (01/24/2008)

By TXBetty

Painting Formica Counter Tops

After reading the feedback on this site, I did a faux granite finish on my counter tops a couple weeks ago and I love how they turned out. I cleaned them well, and applied Zinser BIN primer and let it dry overnight. The next day I painted the counters with black craft paint from Hobby Lobby (2 large). Next, I applied five different colors using a sea sponge, letting each color dry an hour between: Golden brown, Safari taupe, light gray, Latte, and Earth brown. I then sponged black to tone down the countertops. The last step was applying three coats of MinWax Polyurethane clear gloss, sanding between coats. I did the whole project for about $45. (03/05/2008)

By BarbYo

RE: Painting Formica Counter Tops

painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating KitchenJanuary 24, 2011
hot coffee pot placed on counter by waitress
Removing Heat Stains and Burn Marks on Formica
Before photo of painted laminate countertop.
Polishing Counter Tops
Recycled Summer Top
Recycled Summer Tops
fresh carrots with tops
Crispy Carrot Tops