Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

By Shawnster 1

I feel something is biting me in my bed, but can't see what it is.

By Shawnster

Filter Sort

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

It is likely bedbugs. I have just been listening to comments on the CBC, and apparently they are a real pandemic. They are terribly difficult and expensive to get rid of.

One thing that does work, but not instantly, and more as a preventative, is diatomaceous earth. There are many different brand names. You are supposed to spray this behind your baseboards. It destroys their exoskeletons and they die. However, if you already have them in your bed, you need more agressive measures. They are often resistant to bug sprays, and so an extiminator that uses steam may be what you need.

Do not fool around with bay leaves or cinnamon or any of those home remedies. If any of that stuff worked, bedbugs wouldn't be a problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cassie 20 60 Flag

Sounds like bedbugs to me. When we were kids we went to a house that some friends moved out of and got some quilts that they left behind and we put them on our beds and it was not long til we started getting bitten in the night on our legs and arms and we told our dad about it. He said, I bet you got a case of bedbugs from the quilts that you got from that house. Go and look around the mattress seams and such and see if there are any bugs there. Sure enough, there were bugs around the seams and buttons and he said go and get some kerosene and pour it around the seams and buttons and it will kill them. It did the job. Never again did we get any bedding and put it on our beds again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I have a problem with some type of bugs biting me in bed; I can't see them but feel them bite. I've washed the sheets and PJ'S in Clorox yet they still bite.

Melodie from Lynchburg, SC

Answers:

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I've heard that if it's fleas that you are having a problem with, you can sprinkle sage underneath your bed to get rid of them. My boyfriend's grandmother told me this one. So, maybe since it's an "Old wives tale" it'll work for you. It's worth a shot to keep from getting bit again! Good luck! (10/06/2005)

By BrookesMommy

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Have you tried a bug bomb? Put it under your bed and see if this will help. (10/06/2005)

By Seagrape

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Sounds like seam mites. Check the seams of your mattress and if you see small black dots you need to spray your mattress to get rid of them. (10/06/2005)

By shirley.

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Whatever method you choose to attempt, thoroughly vacuum the bed afterward to remove debris from the bugs & the products used to eliminate them. Many people on this site recommend Borax (laundry product) for the elimination of 'bugs'. Maybe this would work. Sprinkle on, leave for 12-24 hrs (sleep on couch) & vacuum well. Even though it's a laundry product it's not made to be slept on & inhaled. Another idea is table salt, but that was for fleas (which, you can see those), and they probably would be other places, not just the bed.

By kidsNclutter

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

You have bed bugs. Call the County Cooperative Extension office in your area and get their brochure on bed bug control techniques. Inform yourself with accurate concise info, not tips and advice from non-experts. (10/15/2005)

By Brian W.

Archive: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

For the past two nights, something is biting me. I keep waking up with bites on my thighs. Right now on my left leg, there are 3 bites. And on my right leg, I have 6, three of those bites on that leg are in a nice diagonal line.

I have 2 cats that never go outside and are usually in my room but this just started happening for the first time. I also have hamsters in my room but they have been here for a few months too. Nobody else in the house is experiencing this. I have no idea what to do.

Annie from Columbus, OH

Feedback:

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I am thinking it is bedbugs, and nothing to do with the animals. Has anyone been to a hotel or slept over at someone else's house? Bedbugs are becoming a more common problem. Do not bother with home remedies. You must contact your local health office and find out how to get rid of these things. (11/13/2008)

By louel53

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

If it were fleas, you would have lots of tiny bites all over you, and it would be elsewhere in the house. If you have one big bite that itches and stays for days or weeks, it is most likely a bite from a spider or a centipede. Centipedes eat spiders and cock roaches, so they are useful to keep. They eat all sorts of bad insects. There isn't much you can do if it is a random thing. They probably crawled up into your bed and you rolled over on them. I get a spider bite (or centipede bite) about 2-3 times/year. (11/17/2008)

By Terry

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

This sounds like bed bugs. Go to the armed forces pest management board website. There you'll find a video on how to inspect for bed bugs. I would recommend getting professional help on this one. (12/04/2008)

By coco

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

You definitely have scabies. If you have bites in your sleep and diagonal lines, that's where they burrow in your skin. They are most active at night. Go see a doctor. (03/23/2009)

By swg9932

Archive: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I wake up every night itching and sometimes bitten. I bought a new mattress and box spring for my bed and cleaned and sanitized my entire bed room numerous times. But the problem still exists. I wash my bed sheets and covers every night and vacuum my mattress, box spring, bed rails, and carpet every night. And I look at the sheets to make sure there isn't anything on them before I get in bed.

After falling asleep I find myself waking up all night due to severe itching and small bites, but the bites don't seem as severe since I got the new mattress and box spring. Before the bites would be so bad that I would be bleeding. As soon as I wake up I turn the light on and search the sheets and I do find things in my bed but it doesn't look exactly like a bug.

I find two different things, one is very small, black in color, the other looks like a small seed and is off white in color. Neither one of them move. When I pinch them the black one smashes flat but, the seed looking one is somewhat hard. I have set off insect bombs, but it didn't help. I get no sleep at night, therefore I am drained and fall asleep in the day time. At this point I have major dark circles and the whites of my eyes stay red. My fiance thinks it's nothing and that I am just paranoid. Can anyone help? Thanks.

By Hopeburleson

Feedback:

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

A few days ago on the news they said we might soon have an epidemic of bed bugs in the U.S. I looked on the web and learned when bed bugs bite, it isn't uncommon that the bites don't start itching until a while after the bite. Also, if you have bed bugs you might find feces, which is black, or eggs. Bed bugs also shed their skin.

Bed bugs often hide on the back side of the headboard in crevices, in folds of the mattress, in the creases around the edge (where the ticking is) and in the box springs. One person said he didn't know what was biting him, but he moved his bed away from the window and got bit less. He also put sticky traps under all 4 of the legs of his bed and caught some insects. Of course for the traps to work, you can't have a dust ruffle or anything that goes on or near the floor or they can climb up that way and avoid the traps. (04/21/2009)

By Anonymous

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Hello, thank you for all the advice. I am going to the local health department tomorrow to get them to check my bites out, and I have an exterminator scheduled for tomorrow. I cleaned the bedroom before getting into the bed and I sprayed me and my 7 yr. old son with Off bug repellent. The only problem is that I don't know how I'm going to pay the exterminator. I got laid off from my job several months ago and draw only a little over one hundred dollars a week. (04/23/2009)

By hopeburleson

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Try sprinkling Borax around your mattress and box spring. If you have carpeting you can sprinkle it around there as well. Make sure the borax is fine and powdery so it will settle into the fibers. Let it sit for an hour or so and then you can vacuum. The Borax I purchase is the 20 Mule Team type. It is a laundry softener type product. It is also used as a carpet freshener. But it will be ingested by bugs who like its sweet taste. Then they will die because it causes a dehydration and swells up inside them.

You should do this periodically, say once or twice a year, to keep the problem from returning. You can treat the whole house if you are concerned about it in other areas.

Good luck. This should eliminate your problem and help you get a great night's sleep. Best wishes. (04/28/2009)

By jholl0829

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Do you have any pets? Many years ago my kids were coming home from school with bites around their ankles. Turns out the school had mites and fleas. Don't remember what kind of mites. The school was fumigated over the weekend and there were no more bites. The carpets in the school were infested. So you might try a bug bomb for homes with pets, which will kill animal parasites, including fleas, ticks, and mites. Also get a dip for any pets you might have. (04/28/2009)

By patom

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

The truth is, they can be a variety of things. It is near impossible to tell without seeing them. Catch some and take them with you to the doctor's. He'll be able to tell you exactly what they are, give you meds or tell you what to do for the bleeding and bites, and tell you how to get rid of them. At least knowing what they are will allow you to research alternative ways to rid yourself of these pests. I wouldn't wait too long, the infestation will continue to multiply until something is done, and they can be passed on to others. You don't want to be known as the person who gave others fleas, scabies, bed bugs, or whatever. Good luck. (04/30/2009)

By susanmajp

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

You might have bed bugs, you may need to get a terminator to get rid of them. (05/01/2009)

By sickandsexy

Archive: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I've woken up with bites all over my legs, so I assume it is bed bugs. I washed all my sheets and pillow cases, and I just recently saw one on me. It was super tiny, barely a centimeter. I tried to push it to death with my finger and it jumped. I'm itching and trying to figure out what the culprit is.

By Sandy from Charlotte, NC

Feedback:

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

If you go to google and type in "what do bed bugs look like" you will find pics and other information of the critters and some help in getting rid of them. (11/03/2009)

By foxrun41

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

If they are really bedbugs you may have to toss everything, as they are notoriously difficult to get rid of. Check the mattress, if there are stains, they could be in there. Or do you sleep with your legs out of the covers? Then a flying bug could be the cause, but I don't think so, because they would also attack your head. (11/03/2009)

By pamphyila

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

If they jump, they may be fleas. Look online to see the pictures of bedbugs and fleas. You will then be able to tell which you have. (11/04/2009)

By pcheflm

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Spray the mattress with insect spray in the morning maybe by bed time it will be OK to sleep on. Also vac it very good. Good luck. (11/04/2009)

By kffrmw88

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I ended up with scabies and had a heck of a time getting rid of them. I was finally told to wash and dry all the bedding in very hot water (including quilts, etc.). I took them down to the local laundromat, as my appliances couldn't handle that big a load. It was expensive, but worth it. Then I had to buy the bags that completely cover the mattress and pillow cases. I bought mine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are made for bedbug treatment and zip completely closed around the mattress. I also, when the mattress was completely uncovered, sprayed it with Lysol, I slept in a different room for 2 nights. And then I vacuumed the mattress and around the bed. A lot of work, but it did the trick! (11/06/2009)

By Jackie

RE: Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Bed bugs look like large ticks and you can kill bed bugs with 90% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). (11/07/2009)

By wandathome

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 18, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Tiny Orange Bug
Getting Rid of Tiny Orange Biting Bugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:30:37 PM on 10.0.0.94 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings