Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I feel something is biting me in my bed, but can't see what it is.

By Shawnster

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

It is likely bedbugs. I have just been listening to comments on the CBC, and apparently they are a real pandemic. They are terribly difficult and expensive to get rid of.

One thing that does work, but not instantly, and more as a preventative, is diatomaceous earth. There are many different brand names. You are supposed to spray this behind your baseboards. It destroys their exoskeletons and they die. However, if you already have them in your bed, you need more agressive measures. They are often resistant to bug sprays, and so an extiminator that uses steam may be what you need.

Do not fool around with bay leaves or cinnamon or any of those home remedies. If any of that stuff worked, bedbugs wouldn't be a problem.

Sounds like bedbugs to me. When we were kids we went to a house that some friends moved out of and got some quilts that they left behind and we put them on our beds and it was not long til we started getting bitten in the night on our legs and arms and we told our dad about it. He said, I bet you got a case of bedbugs from the quilts that you got from that house. Go and look around the mattress seams and such and see if there are any bugs there. Sure enough, there were bugs around the seams and buttons and he said go and get some kerosene and pour it around the seams and buttons and it will kill them. It did the job. Never again did we get any bedding and put it on our beds again.

Answer

I've woken up with bites all over my legs, so I assume it is bed bugs. I washed all my sheets and pillow cases, and I just recently saw one on me. It was super tiny, barely a centimeter. I tried to push it to death with my finger and it jumped. I'm itching and trying to figure out what the culprit is.

By Sandy from Charlotte, NC

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

If you go to google and type in "what do bed bugs look like" you will find pics and other information of the critters and some help in getting rid of them. (11/03/2009)

By foxrun41

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

If they are really bedbugs you may have to toss everything, as they are notoriously difficult to get rid of. Check the mattress, if there are stains, they could be in there. Or do you sleep with your legs out of the covers? Then a flying bug could be the cause, but I don't think so, because they would also attack your head. (11/03/2009)

By pamphyila

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

If they jump, they may be fleas. Look online to see the pictures of bedbugs and fleas. You will then be able to tell which you have. (11/04/2009)

By pcheflm

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Spray the mattress with insect spray in the morning maybe by bed time it will be OK to sleep on. Also vac it very good. Good luck. (11/04/2009)

By kffrmw88

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

I ended up with scabies and had a heck of a time getting rid of them. I was finally told to wash and dry all the bedding in very hot water (including quilts, etc.). I took them down to the local laundromat, as my appliances couldn't handle that big a load. It was expensive, but worth it. Then I had to buy the bags that completely cover the mattress and pillow cases. I bought mine at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They are made for bedbug treatment and zip completely closed around the mattress. I also, when the mattress was completely uncovered, sprayed it with Lysol, I slept in a different room for 2 nights. And then I vacuumed the mattress and around the bed. A lot of work, but it did the trick! (11/06/2009)

By Jackie

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Bed bugs look like large ticks and you can kill bed bugs with 90% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol). (11/07/2009)

By wandathome

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I wake up every night itching and sometimes bitten. I bought a new mattress and box spring for my bed and cleaned and sanitized my entire bed room numerous times. But the problem still exists. I wash my bed sheets and covers every night and vacuum my mattress, box spring, bed rails, and carpet every night. And I look at the sheets to make sure there isn't anything on them before I get in bed.

After falling asleep I find myself waking up all night due to severe itching and small bites, but the bites don't seem as severe since I got the new mattress and box spring. Before the bites would be so bad that I would be bleeding. As soon as I wake up I turn the light on and search the sheets and I do find things in my bed but it doesn't look exactly like a bug.

I find two different things, one is very small, black in color, the other looks like a small seed and is off white in color. Neither one of them move. When I pinch them the black one smashes flat but, the seed looking one is somewhat hard. I have set off insect bombs, but it didn't help. I get no sleep at night, therefore I am drained and fall asleep in the day time. At this point I have major dark circles and the whites of my eyes stay red. My fiance thinks it's nothing and that I am just paranoid. Can anyone help? Thanks.

By Hopeburleson

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

A few days ago on the news they said we might soon have an epidemic of bed bugs in the U.S. I looked on the web and learned when bed bugs bite, it isn't uncommon that the bites don't start itching until a while after the bite. Also, if you have bed bugs you might find feces, which is black, or eggs. Bed bugs also shed their skin.

Bed bugs often hide on the back side of the headboard in crevices, in folds of the mattress, in the creases around the edge (where the ticking is) and in the box springs. One person said he didn't know what was biting him, but he moved his bed away from the window and got bit less. He also put sticky traps under all 4 of the legs of his bed and caught some insects. Of course for the traps to work, you can't have a dust ruffle or anything that goes on or near the floor or they can climb up that way and avoid the traps. (04/21/2009)

By Anonymous

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Hello, thank you for all the advice. I am going to the local health department tomorrow to get them to check my bites out, and I have an exterminator scheduled for tomorrow. I cleaned the bedroom before getting into the bed and I sprayed me and my 7 yr. old son with Off bug repellent. The only problem is that I don't know how I'm going to pay the exterminator. I got laid off from my job several months ago and draw only a little over one hundred dollars a week. (04/23/2009)

By hopeburleson

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Try sprinkling Borax around your mattress and box spring. If you have carpeting you can sprinkle it around there as well. Make sure the borax is fine and powdery so it will settle into the fibers. Let it sit for an hour or so and then you can vacuum. The Borax I purchase is the 20 Mule Team type. It is a laundry softener type product. It is also used as a carpet freshener. But it will be ingested by bugs who like its sweet taste. Then they will die because it causes a dehydration and swells up inside them.

You should do this periodically, say once or twice a year, to keep the problem from returning. You can treat the whole house if you are concerned about it in other areas.

Good luck. This should eliminate your problem and help you get a great night's sleep. Best wishes. (04/28/2009)

By jholl0829

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

Do you have any pets? Many years ago my kids were coming home from school with bites around their ankles. Turns out the school had mites and fleas. Don't remember what kind of mites. The school was fumigated over the weekend and there were no more bites. The carpets in the school were infested. So you might try a bug bomb for homes with pets, which will kill animal parasites, including fleas, ticks, and mites. Also get a dip for any pets you might have. (04/28/2009)

By patom

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

The truth is, they can be a variety of things. It is near impossible to tell without seeing them. Catch some and take them with you to the doctor's. He'll be able to tell you exactly what they are, give you meds or tell you what to do for the bleeding and bites, and tell you how to get rid of them. At least knowing what they are will allow you to research alternative ways to rid yourself of these pests. I wouldn't wait too long, the infestation will continue to multiply until something is done, and they can be passed on to others. You don't want to be known as the person who gave others fleas, scabies, bed bugs, or whatever. Good luck. (04/30/2009)

By susanmajp

Bugs Biting Me In My Sleep

You might have bed bugs, you may need to get a terminator to get rid of them. (05/01/2009)

By sickandsexy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For the past two nights, something is biting me. I keep waking up with bites on my thighs. Nobody else in the house is experiencing this. I have no idea what to do.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a problem with some type of bugs biting me in bed; I can't see them but feel them bite.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control BugsSeptember 18, 2010
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
Itching from a bug bite.
Identifying Little Black Biting Bugs
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Removing Bugs from Your Car
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
Identifying Little Biting Bugs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 6:17:43 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.