My Frugal Life: Starting Early

As the youngest of 5 sisters, my frugal life began with hand-me-down clothes, even when I didn't quite yet fit in them. My Frugal LifeAs I grew, my mom made sure I was FRUGAL, by not wasting any food on my plate! Growing up in a working class family and without an allowance, I learned to live without some little things kids want but I learned to create them when I did!

When I started my first job, my parents made sure I understood frugality by charging me a small RENT of $20 to learn to save some of my paycheck every week!

I frugally got married in a small wedding and a backyard cook out reception. None of this CRUISE stuff for frugal me!

Later I, had three kids and 'frugally' ate anything they didn't finish off their plates. I'd learned my lesson well!

We shopped at thrift stores for clothes for them growing up. Now it's the fashionable thing for all college kids to do. THEY weren't that impressed that we were 'trendsetters' at the time!

The flowers that graced my table were the ones picked by my little ones chubby fingers (usually from my own flower patch) but they couldn't have been more loved if Teleflorist created them for me.

My ART collection consisted of crayon and fingerpainted masterpieces that I still treasure! I am sure Antique Roadshow would be very impressed with my priceless Folk Art!

I am growing old gratefully, gracefully and 'gray-fully', choosing not to waste money and time on hiding up some of the most beautiful strands of silver I have ever owned, my hair!

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

"...growing old gratefully, gracefully and 'gray-fully'"

You said it well!

There is so much simple truth in what you've written here, and it sounds like your upbringing was a lot like mine. Another advantage to learning to live in a way that helps you distinguish plainly between wants and needs is that when hard times come, your landing is softer, because your priorities have been down-to-earth all along.

And as for going au natural, I wanted to hang on to that dark auburn hair from my younger days almost long enough to ruin it by coloring it. Count me in for letting the silver shine through without all those chemicals on it, it feels as soft and shiny as it was when I was a teenager.

Great essay, thumbs up!

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed reading.

I also consider myself frugal, or brought up that way. I am youngest of 3 girls so I got to wear their hand-me-downs. Even though my sister was 8 years older than me. I also made some of my clothes for school. When I was old enough, I babysat for my oldest sister who is 10 years older. She was a young mom at 17 years old. They grew up during the bobbie sock period so it was interesting, and I was in hippie time period.

Frugal Living Advice
Frugal Living Advice
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeAugust 19, 2010
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods