Homemade Chunky Tomato Soup Recipe

I am looking for a recipe for homemade tomato soup. It has chunks of tomato in it. I had to pick all my tomatoes as it is supposed to be frosty tonight! Thank you.

By Susan from Vernon, BC Canada

Peel the number of tomatoes you want to use, for 2 that would be equilevant of 4 large tomatoes, cut them in chunks and put them into a large stew pot. Peal and chop or dice 2 good sized potatoes and add them to the tomatoes. Bring to a good simmer and when they are juiced as much as they will water may be added as desired. You want enough to make it quite soupy. Season with salt and pepper and any other seasoning you like with tomatoes. I only use a hot pepper out of the pepper sauce bottle. If you would like some meat in your soup you can add some well-cooked meat of choice. I prefer only tomatoes and potatoes. The cooking process should be ready in 30 minutes or less.

This is the way my mother made it as I was growing up and the way I have made it for 50 plus years, as I had home-grown tomatoes available.

If you have too many to use right away, I would stew them and can them for future use. Just slip the skins in hot water, then slice the tomatoes into quarters and stew until tender. I can them in pints so I can use them in soups or just for stewed tomatoes for the two of us.

My favorite tomato soup recipe is as follows-

2 C tomato juice or stewed tomatoes

4 T butter

1 t salt

1 1/2 C milk

1/4 C flour

1/4 t soda

1 T minced onion (optional)

Melt butter, add flour and stir. Add tomatoes, blending with the flour mixture. Add soda and minced onion. Return to heat and cook for 5 minutes. Add milk, heat and serve.

A bowl of tomato soup with crackers.
Tomato Soup Recipes
bowl of soup
Tomato Bisque Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Cream of Tomato Soup Recipes
Tomato Hornworms
Controlling Tomato Hornworms