Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Keeping Flies Away

What can you do about flies, and yes the dog poop is picked.

By Wendy from Long Beach, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By elva [1]10/16/2010

Take some fresh dirt and put over the area or cover with baking soda and cat litter.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Keeping Flies Away

How do I keep flies away?

Deb from Spring Hill, FL

RE: Keeping Flies Away

We had a problem with flies outside on our deck. We purchased 2 fly traps at Walmart for about $5 each. They really work. But the smell is awful. It's best not to hang them close to sitting area. The traps fill up quickly and can be refilled (refills also purchased at Walmart). (07/07/2008)

By dixie35481

RE: Keeping Flies Away

First of course, look for whatever material might be drawing them. Any moisture on the ground, anything that would be nutritious for a baby fly, including piles of grass clippings or anything. Then look at all the traps, baits, and sprays and choose one, hopefully one that is cost-conscious and not to damaging to your environment and mine. (07/08/2008)

By kimhis

RE: Keeping Flies Away

It may sound strange, but Keopectate, or Pepto bismol are great fly deterrents. Simply place a small dish or the lid from a mayonnaise jar, filled with whichever you like in the area that the flies are bothering you. For some reason, they are repelled by it, and it doesn't stink up the house like so many commercial products do. Replace the dish every week or so, as it dries out. Depending on your climate, you may want to do it more often if you notice it drying out more quickly.

There are some great fly tubes (the papers don't work nearly as well) that you can get at Walgreens. I have never see them at Walmart or the other big chains, but Walgreens always has them year round. They don't smell nearly as bad, and catch way more flies than paper or other traps I have tried. (07/09/2008)

By freemommy

RE: Keeping Flies Away

Though I haven't tried this myself, I read on another group that if you tack a little plastic bag filled with water to the outside of your doors, flies will not be a bother. (07/09/2008)

By soochatty

Archive: Keeping Flies Away

I would like information on how to keep flies away.

By Linda from Waynesville, OH

RE: Keeping Flies Away

Ziploc bag, good tip!

We went with friends to Howard's on Monday for breakfast and sat in the patio section beside the wall. We happened to notice Ziploc baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally, we were curious! Ms. Howard told us that these baggies kept the flies away. So naturally we were even more curious. We actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area. (04/04/2010)

By sally54

Archive: Keeping Flies Away

I would like to know how to get the flies to go away or at least how to control them? I feed my dogs and then what is left gets put up. There is no food out and yes flies get in the house also when the door is open. I saw something about tape, just any sticky tape? I need to make this go away. Yes it is hot so that doesn't help, but whatever you can suggest would help. Thanks.

By Lecha from Nashville, TN

RE: Keeping Flies Away

You can purchase what used to be called fly paper strips, when I was a kid. They come in a little cylinder shaped thing with a string loop on one end to hand it and then on the other end there is a cover that can be removed and you pull the tape out as long as you want it, leaving it in the container. My mother always hung them really close to the doors. They don't look really nice, but do a fair job. I thought maybe by now they had quit making them, but within the last couple years I did see them in a store. (06/20/2010)

By redhatterb

RE: Keeping Flies Away

I did a "how to make a fly trap" search on bing. This site shows you how to easily make a fly trap out of a 2 liter soda bottle! Set some up around the dumpster and see if it helps?

arizona.edu By Dedeswrkshop

RE: Keeping Flies Away

I don't know if this will help getting rid of them on the inside, but it sure does work on getting rid of them outside! Take a Styrofoam dish with a lip, fill the dish with 1/4 - 1/2 inch of apple cider vinegar. Take lemon Joy dishwashing liquid and squirt some, more than a little, over the vinegar. Place the dish outside away from your dogs.

I did this on the outside of my house where I like to read. The next morning, big black flies, small flies, any number of unidentified gnatty things all drowned! I was shocked. Start with a fresh Styrofoam dish every day.

Good luck! (06/24/2010)

By metroplex

RE: Keeping Flies Away

I just bought a bottle of Absorbine's Ultra Shield EX from a local pet and feed store. It is normally used on horses, but can also be used on dogs. I sprayed it on my dogs the night before and I have yet to see any flies on them or their living quarters. The guy at the store wasn't kidding. This stuff really works! I'm impressed. If you use this, be sure not to spray directly onto their faces. Spray it onto a rag and then wipe on their heads. Good luck! (07/16/2010)

By KttyKrvtz