How to Talk to Mother About Shaving Legs

I am afraid to ask my mom to shave but i hate my legs I have tried to bring up the subject but I keep chickening out. Please help me.

Whitney

Best Answer

I decided to ask my mom early this morning... She said it hadn't even crossed her mind about me possibly shaving(even though I'm 12) she then said she would buy me a razor then teach me how..(though we've had the talk already) and I will have to shower then tomorrow morning I will begin shaving.. So don't worry at all it will feel great for her to know and to get it off your back

That's a good thing, glad you got the best ending :).

Unless this is a cultural or religious issue, I would simply ask mom to have a chat. Explain to her how you are feeling and that you wish to do something about it. Maybe you are not ready to shave with a razor however there are products out there like Nair hair remover which is a lotion you smooth on your legs and leave on for 4 minutes and wipe the hair away that you can be responsible enough to use. My daughter started with this method at 10 years old and was just allowed to try to use the razor at 12 years old. She is doing beautifully. Remember we were young ladies too once and I am sure your mother will understand how the appearance of your legs matters to you.

I know exactly how you feel! I am 71 and had the same trouble working up nerve to ask my mama. When I finally did she said I might want to do the underarms too. She was waiting for me to bring it up for fear of hurting my feelings.

I'm with the other ladies, your mom probably remembers and will be be understanding so just ask. If your mom objects to the razor, ask if you can use the lotion. Most moms are ok with the lotions.

The most terrifying part is asking. But I agree with the other posters- A lot of moms wait for their daughters to bring it up out of fear of embarassing them. Honestly, would you want your mom to mention it to you? When I asked my mom about shaving, she took me right out and we bought an assortment of razors and creams and I spent the evening figuring out which I preferred. (I was nervous about using a razor at first) And don't be surprised if she pouts a little. It can be sentimental when a daughter grows up. :)

I know how you feel, I am 30 and still waiting waiting for my 12 year old daughter to ask me if she can shave. Of course I'm going to say yes because her puberty is out of this world she is always talking about BOYS BOYS BOYS, and how their looking at her legs and picking on her but I know she is just afraid to ask. I STARTED shaving at the age 12 and she needs to ask me.

Ask your mom how old she was when she started shavng her legs. This will lead into the subject of letting her know you are interested in starting and ask for her opinion. Moms love it when their daughters ask them for advice. If she is concerned about the razor (there's a lot out there that are much safer than in my time) and is difficult to cut yourself even in the learning process. Good luck!

IMHO, the mother should be taking the lead on shaving. It should form part of guidance on growing up, like using deodrants, wearing stockings and bra's, etc. OK, I was a teenager more than 40, yes FORTY!! years ago, but the basic situation is the same. So many young girls have posted about their need to shave and their fears/hesitation in asking their mothers about it. So, all you mothers out there, reach out to your daughters and they will appreciate you for it.

If none of these suggestions appeal to you, then when your mom is sitting down put your leg up on her lap and ask "ya think it's time"....? You probably won't have a problem asking her when you could go out on a date, so this shouldn't be either. If this is a problem, put shavers on her grocery list and then I am sure she will come to you!

I would say: Mom, I need to talk to you when you have a chance about something that has been bothering me. Then let her know just how important it is to you and why. You might not want to say, because all my friends are doing it, just stick to why it is important to you and that you have researched the best and safest ways to do it.

Or, your could start by asking her how old she was when she started shaving her legs.

Good luck!

Mary Lou

Best thing to do is to put it into a letter. If you write the letter on your computer, then you can get it in decent shape before you print it and leave it out for her (in a place where nobody else will get it). If you handwrite it she's more likely to say yes, but you can still use the computer for figuring out what to say.

If I wrote it, it would say:

Mom, I'm shy, I'm nervous about asking, but I would like to shave my legs. They obviously need it, it seems to me. Please help me get going with taking care of myself in this way, since I will need supplies for this, like something to shave with. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, ...

I had this problem. Seriously it is so much easier to get up the courage and ask her directly. I'm sure she did it when she was young, ask her how old she was! My mum wouldn't let me at first so be prepared to keep trying. Good luck!

Whitney,

Just be honest us moms were kids too and remember we went through the same things with our moms too tell her your legs make you feel uncomfortable and you would like to have nice smooth ones I bet your mom hasn't even given thought to it as we all wanna keep our girls lil! Honesty is best! Good luck it will probably be so easy you will wonder why you fretted at all.

the next time you both are in walmart shopping and she goes to the section for shampoo etc. find that area where the shavers are and start the topic of conversation there by saying"is this the type I would use to shave my legs because I would really like to start doing so mom" I'm sure she'll remember her time in her life and feel its your time too. Sometimes the moms get so busy they just simply do not think of all these things or changes you are going through. And you'll have to bring it up so she can remember when she went through the same thing at your age. After its said & done you'll see it was just a grain of sand & not a mountain to climb in the asking her about it.

same situation 35 years ago!! I paid my little brother & his friends to 'taunt' me & call me doggy legs or something, then I pretended to cry & ran to mommy. She said "go ahead, but once you do, you'll never be able to stop".... BOY, I wish I'd listened instead of being in such a hurry to grow up!

Just know that it changes your LIFE because from then on, you'll pretty much be a SLAVE to the razor!

I had this problem when I was in 5th grade, im in 8th now. I was with my older sister at the grocery store and she asked me if i wanted to, I said yes. But Just ask your mom and say its really been bugging you and you feel like its time. But how old are you? Dont be in a rush to grow up and do that because i did it young and once you do it you really cant stop.

I am 12 and have no older sisters (or any siblings for that matter). How do I ask my mom. People always say ask her like you asked her to wear a bra. Well she asked me about that so, HELP!

Just ask your mother and be honest. She will understand my daughter was the same way and ended up trying it on her own and it was a bloody mess in the bath tub. She put too much pressure on the razor and cut her legs, just ask your mother to show you. She will.

Hi there, Maybe starting for the first times, a good electric razer would be best. They have them for duel purpose, legs and underarms . much safer, keep away from water though.

P.S. After you ask your mom. The electric razer can be used in your bedroom. That way your not taking up bathroom time, which she and others will appreciate very much.

well i just googled how to ask your mom, if u can shave your legs and i am looking at everyones response and now i am gunna go ask her wish me luck ;]

I have the same problem. I'm 12 in 7th grade and really scared. My sister started in 7th grade but it's still scary and very embarrassing.

Hey!

- I am 13 years old (7th grade), and I just started shaving when I was 12 years old! (last april) MY GOD it was so hard to ask my mom about shaving my legs, at the beggining of the year I finally worked up the nerve to ask her about a bra, and she said of course.

What I did to ask about shaving: it was a weekend, and me and my mom were in the living room sitting on the couch, and I just leaned over and put my head on her shoulders and asked what magazine she was reading, and then I sorta just said "mom, I think i should shave my legs, because i kind of feel uncomftorable sometimes, since i will be wearing shorts all summer."

That is what I said, and it worked! I hope this helps! I know EXACTLY what you are going through, but now I can talk to my mom about anything puberty related.

I feel the same, I just don't know what to do, it took me ages to tell my mam I had started my period, but I knew I had to tell her. I felt myself cringe when I did! She was fine with it, but I'm really shy and I just can't bring myself to ask my mam about shaving my legs! I keep thinking right, I'm going to ask her but then when I see her I just can't! I know it sounds stupid but I can't help it and I am really embarrassed in p.e. cause I feel as if everyone is staring at my legs and I have dark hair as well (I'm 13 by the way) xx please help :(

I am going to go ask my mum now, I am so scared but I think I will bring it up whilst at the super market. I hope you is waiting for me to ask! I have been sneaking around using my sisters for ages though, think shes notices but she hasn't mentioned anything!

Here it goes....

I'm 11, and my legs are REALLY hairy. I asked my mom today if I can shave and she says no. Since tomorrow is my first day of middle school, and I'm gonna have to wear shorts. I'm going to try again later. Wish me good luck. =]

Just wanted to say that I'm 14 and in 9th grade. I started shaving in 7th grade when I was like 12. I DO have an older sister, but I didn't have to ask her, because I am a twin. She and I switch off asking our mom things like this. The way we decide is to do rock, paper, scissors, shoot, and whoever looses has to ask.

I asked our mom about bras in 5th grade (which she was fine with), and then Rosie (my twin) had to ask about shaving. Our mom said yes, and she just gave us money to go get it ourselves. I guess she used to this though, because we have an older sister and she grew up having 3 younger sisters who came to her about this stuff.

I think that in a couple of months I'm gonna ask my little (11 years old) sister if she wants to shave bwcause the hair on her legs is really dark, and I feel bad for her!

Farhana- I'm so sorry that your mom said no! Did you ask her about if you could use something like Nair or Veet? Maybe she's just concerned about you using a razor.

When I asked about shaving, I had to ask my dad, because I was at his house for 2 months and it was gonna be summer so i needed to ask before I went off to camp (I didn't want to be the ONLY girl at sleep over camp WITHOUT a razor).

So I said to my dad, 'hey, dad do you think you could take me to the store to get something for camp?' he said, 'well, what do you need?' so I told him, 'I was thinking I could get some shaving things' but of course, he was totally clueless. so he chuckled and said, 'what do you need those for?'

Fortunately, my sister who is a year younger than me came into the room (after hearing the convo) and put her legs on his lap and said, 'dad, she wants to shave her legs and so do I!' he looked kind of shocked but agreed to take us (and now we each get a $25 a month allowance from him for "girl things" like shaving stuff, pads, tampons, bras). That was when i was 12 by the way, and my sister was 11

I don't know how old you are and that's good to keep things in general...I know I was in 5th grade when I started shaving... I know it bothered me too. "All the girls in my sunday school class wear pantyhose", I was open and honest with my mom on how I felt.

I will tell you this.....once you start....you have to keep it up and it's not a glamorous thing! :)

My younger daughter looked young for her age and I just told her when she was in 5th grade that she too could shave, but that she should wait until 6th and she did....none of her friends gave her a hard time and it worked out great for her.

That being said....don't always try to fit in the crowd, but if it really bothers you...sit down with your mom and be honest and respect her final decision.

As far as the previous poster who is eleven.....it is NEVER good to tell your mom a lie...you will wind up losing so much trust...we know more than you think...and that's much worse than not being able to shave your legs.

If that is what you did....please tell her you are sorry!

I rec'd an email from someone, but she is no longer registered to reply back...I was not referring to you...sorry, but on active topics when this first was posted there was another 11 year old who was tempted to lie. Sorry for the confusion, but I guess they never posted her feedback.

I guess this is really a response to all the people sympathetically discouraging young girls to want to start shaving now, when later in life shaving will become a hassle and a chore.

I have to point out that it's not true that you have to "keep shaving" for the rest of your life. I remember being, I don't know, 11, and begging my mom to let me shave. She let me, and since I both wanted and probably needed to shave, (fluffy clouds and ponies) everything was happy and wonderful and great. At least that's how I remember it. Now I'm 27 and I hate shaving. So I don't. Let it grow. It will turn soft again. You only really have to shave in your life when A) you're doing it for you, or B) you're doing it for someone else. If a little girl, or anyone, would benefit from the self esteem booster of feeling pretty and having hairless legs, that's certainly a good reason to want to shave. If when you get a little older and you find you don't want or need your legs to be hairless for whatever reason, then that's fine too, in my book.

BUT! I also have to point out to any girls out there who haven't started shaving yet who are concerned that people might notice that their legs are hairy, I really and truly doubt that anyone even notices. I remember worrying about people noticing my leg hair at that age, and I remember wondering if people thought me having hairy legs meant I was somehow childish, but I don't remember ever noticing anybody else's leg hair. I don't ever remember thinking badly of any of the other girls for having leg hair, if they did. So, don't do it for them, because they're not really looking at you. They're busy worrying about what you think of them. Actually, a lot of things in life are that way, and they'll pretty much stay that way even when you're an adult. If you want to do it, please only want to do it for yourself. Sorry if that sounds hokey, but I wish someone had told me that when I was that age.

Next time you are in a store that sells razors with your mom, casually pick some up and ask your mom if you can start shaving.

Don't chicken out its not like she is gonna yell at you or hurt just for asking a question

I asked my mom ever since I was 8 and finally at age 11 she let me. Start by asking her when she first shaved her legs or say hey mom a girl in my grade started to shave her legs do you think it is to early

You should say mom don't yell at me but I want to no how to shave but if you are afraid just don't ask her.

June 12, 2013 Flag

I'm Jessie, I'm 14 years old and a 3rd year high school student. I'm going to have a prom and I don't know what to do. What if our theme is a cocktail dress? Should I wear stockings because I am so embarrassed about how I look.

I have hairy legs, but I notice my mom has smooth and soft skin and I'm opposite of it. The other day I saw a razor in our bathroom and I felt like I should use it to shave my legs. Then when I started to shave a little part of my skin I remembered that I should ask my mom if I could shave my legs. So I started to ask her if I could shave my legs. She just said "No. Many girls have hairy legs. The hair on your legs will become more and more thick and darker if you do. Trust me. You're too young for thinking that and your are so insecure, just study hard!"

I started to run in my room and started to cry. She doesn't know what I am feeling. When I wear shorts I fake feeling comfortable because every time I wear shorts everybody's looking at my legs and I can see how their faces react. They are like saying, "eew". So can somebody help me? Sorry for my grammar I'm not good at it, but I tried hard.

By Harlett A.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hiya from Scotland:) I'm not all that with grammar either (I LOVE run-on sentences) so it might be easier for you to get the following if you read it out loud to yourself.

First and most important (and you knew I was going to say this) she's your mum and she is in charge-if she says you can't shave your legs you have to follow her rule.

Mums make rules for their offspring for a reason-to protect and teach the offspring how to get along in the world safely. This is done in hopes of raising a healthy child to adulthood.

Her stated reasoning on this particular rule is that not shaving will keep hair growth to a minimum, thus saving you the trouble of shaving regularly, and possibly saving you money on shaving supplies. She's probably also imagining you inflicting a serious shaving wound that could become infected, make you totally sick, and leave a lifelong scar (ask me how I know this-I have a few shaving scars from the first year of shaving) and she wants to protect you from that.

LOL, this is what mums do when they love their child-they make rules to try to teach their child how to make life safer, easier, and cheaper so that when you are an independent adult you spend less to live better:)

However. Right now you are enduring some very serious embarrassment when your legs are exposed (I'm assuming in sporting activities at school, or on warm days whilst out with your friends) and now you have this huge social event about to happen that may cause you even more embarrassment.

I am American by birth and upbringing, and now live in the UK. In both countries it's usual for most girls to begin shaving legs and underarms around 11 or 12. So the other girls around you are shaving and they are looking at you as though you are totally out of touch because you aren't shaving. That hurts, you feel different and not in a good way. You don't want to be that different!

You don't say what country you live in or what your cultural traditions are but I am assuming (since you are anticipating this prom) that you come from a culture that is similar to mine. I well remember how much it hurt when my 14 year old schoolmates made fun of me for being too different. I'm way old enough to be your grannie so the hurt can really stick with you from teenaged years!

To be honest it sounds as though your mum has either forgot how hard it is to be 14, or somehow miraculously managed to get through her teen years with a minimum of hurt. Keep reading:)

You also say that your mum doesn't understand what you are going through. Have you considered asking her for a quiet hour of her time to talk about this?

Maybe you could present your case (for a rule change) in this way: ask her for a sit-down talk when it's a good time for her-not just in from work or after she's just spent hours catching up on household chores, cooking or baking, etc. You want her to be relaxed and able to hear you and she won't be able to if she's tired from hours of hard work or a similarly stressful and tiring activity.

Chose a place for your discussion that is away from any potential interruptions so that you can 'state your case' and peacefully negotiate with her without losing your train of thought from interruptions.

Once you are sitting down together tell her you need to ask her for advice coping with the stares, rude laughter, comments, etc, when people see that at age 14 you still aren't shaving your legs. Ask her if she experienced any similar hurtful embarrassment when she was a teenager. (See, sometimes mums have to have their memory jogged about what it was like to be too different at aged 14)

Tell her how awful this is for you, and how it makes you want to stop participating in activities that expose you to what you are experiencing as hurtful ridicule of your unshaved legs; also tell her how worried you are that you're going to endure much worse at the formal dance. Tell her how that worry is spoiling your pleasure at anticipating the event.

You might also want to do some Internet research for reputable (reliable, credible because the source is a recognised authority on the subject) source of proof that on the contrary, shaving doesn't cause hair to grow back thicker, etc. If your mum is the type of mum who accepts advice from this kind of source, be sure to show her your bookmarked research results. It might help her come to the understanding that medical authorities say shaving or not shaving, your legs are going to grow hair just the same.

Between her finding out how awful it is for you to be the only one not shaving and that medical authorities are OK with 14 year olds shaving, she might change the rule for you.

If she doesn't, well, at 18 (depending on what country you live in) you can move out of her home and take full charge of your life, making your own rules including if you shave your legs.

Whatever happens, stay calm (but it's ok to cry) during the talk. Don't scream at her if she is unable to see your points. This is all part of growing up-showing her that you can handle both a calm discussion and the possibility that you will not achieve your goal of a rule change is the way to gain her respect for your growing maturity.

If she won't change the shaving rule, wear lightweight long trousers in warm conditions to hide your legs-tell your gym coach/PE teacher that you are hiding hairy legs, they'll understand; for the prom, even if a cocktail theme is chosen you can get away with a long frock as long as it's simple and not too 'fancy' Something lovely with no glittery trims, no deep neckline or exposed back because dresses like that fall into the 'glamourous evening gown' category, not the cocktail styles. You'll be safe from jibes (word for the day, look it up, you'll love that word:) and look wonderful!

Will you post back in and let us know how it goes?

This is a tough one. Your mom said "no", and she is the boss. Have you tried telling your mom how you feel? I remember how it was to be a teenager. Other children can be very cruel to others even about something as small as hairy legs. I too have very hairy legs, so I know how you feel. Some other suggestions are to bleach your leg hair, have them waxed, or use an epilator. You can see if your mother would be okay with any of those. I like waxing or using an epilator. Every time I use them, less hair grows back than I had before. It is time consuming, but it is worth it for less hassle and worry about your legs.

Make sure you wax or epilate several days before your event in case it takes your skin that long to recover. I also use castor oil on my skin after waxing or epilating. It is a natural pain killer and helps your skin heal. It is very soothing and has healing properties. It also helps get the sticky wax residue off your skin.

Bleaching works if your hair is not that thick, but if it is thick, you will still be able to see it. I hope this helps you, and I hope you are able to be honest with your mom about how you feel. I know your mom would not want you to be in distress over this. Also, consider the possibility that she is right. Are you making a big deal out of a little hair or being too sensitive about your looks? Ask yourself honestly. Good luck!

I forgot to mention. Your grammar is pretty good. It is a lot better than many have at your age (and older).

Can you talk to a female teacher or school counselor to have a quiet word with your mother? or perhaps a relative? I had the same problem when I was your age, having hairy legs showing is very embarrassing and I feel for you. In the end, my aunt spoke to my mother and persuaded her to let me shave my legs.

Hi - sounds like you have some good advice. Does your Mom read this column? If not, maybe you could show this to her and let her see how and what everyone has advised you. Might help (and might not!).

I do urge you to get an aunt or another adult female friend or relative to speak to your mom. Or perhaps, if your dad is approachable, he might intercede on your behalf.

First, be assured that most people are NOT looking at your legs to see if they are shaved or not. And anyone who would comment on or tease you about it is NOT your friend. However, that being said, there is absolutely no reason not to shave your legs if you think that they need shaving and you would prefer to have them look hairless. Shaving is by far the least invasive method of hair removal. I used to use my father's electric shaver and there is no risk of cutting yourself with an electric shaver. (I think it was a couple of years before he realized I was doing so!!! ha ha) Shaving will not make your hair grow back thicker or darker or anything like that. Sometimes it appears that it grows in darker if you have been wearing shorts and the sun has bleached the hair. Of course, when it grows back, it will not be sunbleached.

If there is no way to convince your mom about this at this time, by all means, wear panty hose to the prom. Sometimes girls wear fancy colors of hose to match their dresses. I don't know if that is style at this time, but the gals in a dress shop would be able to advise you of the latest trends.

When Should Girls Start Shaving
When Should Girls Start Shaving?
Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceOctober 6, 2007
Mother's Day Party Ideas
Mother's Day Party Ideas
A woman shaving her legs.
Tips for Shaving Your Legs
dining room chairs
Finding Caps for Chair Legs
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes
🎉
🎄