Buying Ivory Soap in the UK

I was reading someone's request in regards to cleaning a half leather couch. I also have a cream coloured half leather couch and find that in the cracks the dirt seems to be worse even though it is wiped down weekly. It was suggested to use Ivory soap, as I live in the U.K, could anyone tell me what this is? Maybe there is a substitute I can buy here. Many thanks.

By Helen from U.K

Ivory soap is nothing special. It's a white, cheap, mild soap that's been around forever. I'm certain you will find a substitute in Old Blighty. You can visit Ivory dot com and it will give you an idea of the product. Hope that helps.

OliveOyl, perhaps you could give Helen the actual link you're talking about because what I come up with in a Google search says that Dear Blighty no longer exists or there is a safety question mark next to other Blighty links.

Helen will know what I mean. Old Blighty is not a web site. It is slang or kind of a nickname for England or UK. I'm saying she will find a substitute for Ivory soap in her own country. Look at the Ivory soap website (www.Ivory.com) for info about Ivory soap. Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a link.

Thanks so much for letting me know OliveOyl :-)

All you have to do if you want to insert a link is once you have the website up is left click on the website link and then right click on it (what you just highlighted) and click copy on the drop down box and then go back to where you want the link to be and click 'paste' :-)

Helen--check this link for drugstore.com:

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp46672_3 ... ider/ivory/bar_soap_simply_ivory.htm

They'll ship to the UK. I've been swearing by this stuff for facial cleansing, bathing babies ( and anyone else with sensitive skin), hand washing lingerie and spot-cleaning anything you want to be careful about for forty years +.

Hi helen. I'm thinking that sunlight soap is probably the best substitute there is. if you can find it, knights castile soap is a pure mild soap too, which is probably the same thing. I live in Malta, Europe and have the same problem with substituting things from the U.S. sometimes as well.. Hope this helps. Boots or Lloyds Chemists would probably stock knights castile or sunlight soap.

March 18, 2010 Flag

I posted a request on TF for tips on cleaning grime off a cream leather suite, Ivory soap came up more than once. Could anyone tell me what this is? I live in the U.K. and maybe it comes under another name. Many thanks.

By h.arnott from U.K.

Answers:

Buying Ivory Soap in the UK

Ivory is a plain bar soap that's been around forever. Here's a quote from their website:

"For more than a century, Ivory Bar Soap has been known for its purity, versatility, and ability to float. It's consistency and quality have made it an indispensable product in American homes. Many Americans grew up with Ivory Soap in their home and images of Ivory on their televisions and radios. As a result, Ivory's light scent and memorable slogans evoke fond memories of simpler times."

It's a basic, ordinary, everyday soap. Nothing special. I'm sure you have something similar in the UK. Hope it works for you. (12/07/2009)

By OliveOyl

Buying Ivory Soap in the UK

Ivory soap is also available as a dish soap and liquid hand soap. Here's a link about its history:

http://www.pg.com/company/who_we_are/ivory_history.shtml

And here's a link where you can contact Proctor and Gamble (the manufacturer) to find out where you can purchase it in the UK or where to be able to purchase it online: http://www.ivory.com/ (12/09/2009)

By Deeli

Buying Ivory Soap in the UK

Laundry products are named Ivory Flakes and Ivory Snow. Here in the U.S.A. we use them for washing baby clothing because they are gentle. I believe they are soap rather than detergents.

The same company makes a liquid dish washing detergent called Ivory liquid (I think) and a gentle, white bar soap with the name Ivory. The bar soap leaves a residue that doesn't rinse off well.

Maybe you can do a web search under the name "Ivory" to see if you can purchase it. The bar soap is inexpensive. (12/10/2009)

By Carol in PA

Consumer Advice Product FinderMarch 18, 2010
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Making Soap on a Rope, Heart Shaped Soap on a Rope
Making Soap on a Rope
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Dish Soap Bottle Dolls
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎄