Maple Tree Leaves Drying Out

We have had no rain at all in Maryland for three weeks. I have a 25 year old maple tree that has bunches of leaves that are turning like they are going to die. I soaked the tree about two days ago, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I am worried I will lose the tree. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Betty

By Betty from Abingdon, MD

Trees in a prolonged drought will be distressed and drop their leaves early. It helps them to conserve what water they can get. A 25 year old tree should have reasonably deep roots so it should be able to access deep water. It should be ok next year as long as the drought doesn't go on too long or happen too often. If you do water , really really soak it to avoid bringing the roots to the surface but I it sounds as if you know that anyway We're getting this problem too, it hurts to look at them. Best of luck.

Marg from England.

Marg.

Thank you so much for your answer. I really appreciate it. We have had 3 days of rain in the last 4 days so I think the worst is over. As you said it hurts to look at those bunches of brown leaves.

Betty from Abingdon, MD

Maple Tree
Growing Maple Trees
Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthJuly 10, 2010
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄