Two Aprons from One Jean Overall

Two unique and fun aprons from one jean overall.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• 1 pair jean overalls
  • assorted embellishments
  • scrap fabric
  • lace pieces
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • scissors

Instructions:

Cut off the legs below the crotch, split the crotch seam and lay flat overlapping topstitch down. Take off the fasteners, save for another use. Cut side seams so you have a front and back. Bind or finish off the edges anything works, let them fray, that's ok too.

The red trimmed apron is the front of the overalls, I sewed on some trim and made red ties for the back and neck, I tied them on the button fasteners and sewed to the sides, then I took a small piece of red fabric and hemmed 3 edges and gathered it the bottom. For the lacey apron, take the straps and sew them together in the back, trim the edges with lace and doilies. Anything goes for these aprons. These both sold within hours of making them!

By Jackie from Middleton, WI.

Very clever!! Makes me wish I had some overalls stashed away.

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL

Such a cute idea.

I just love these! I wear aprons a lot. I'll be on the lookout for overalls at the thrift stores.

Thank you for the great idea.

Really cute! I wish I could sew.

Great idea! I love it! This would make a great flea market item to sell! Have you done that?

I really like your idea and the finished products! I'm thinking this could be done with adult or children's size overalls. Good job, Jackie :D

Peace and Blessings

Joan from Dilley TX

LOVE IT! I think I just found a few gift ideas for a few friends! Thanks!

That is so cool. It's a great gift idea. The denim would be extra protection from spills. A+

How cute! I've got to try this. I did something similar with some old jeans of my hubby's. Here's how: Cut the legs off about crotch level. With the "shorts" you have left, cut along the side seams (and cut crotch apart); use the front (lap) section and the back (fanny) section as two apron bottoms, and cut the legs apart into desired shapes for the apron tops. Stitch with heavy-duty needle to attach tops to bottoms, and voila!

Embellish as your imagination (and scrap bag) permits; maybe use old cloth belts for neck and waist ties. If you want frayed edges, just stitch about 1/4" inside the cut edges, and you'll have a nice fray after they're washed. Easy, fast re purpose for old pants!

Hi Jackie, I really want to thank you for this craft. I have slit and cut so many overalls already. Everyone received an apron for Christmas and now I am working on second requests! This has been so popular. The first set took me some time, but now it is so easy.

(I did find I need to use my hand crank sewing machine because the denim is thick.) This craft is wonderful for guys. They love barbecue aprons!

Making a Jeans Apron
Crafts Recycled Crafts ClothingFebruary 19, 2009
Denim pocket attached to a notebook.
Jean Pocket Crafts
Cooking for Two
Cooking for Two Recipes
Two Ingredient Cake
Two Ingredient Cake Recipes
Baking Two Cake Flavors
Baking Two Cake Flavors in One Pan
🎄