Removing Greasy Buildup on Kitchen Cabinets

In my rental duplex, the kitchen cabinets are really a mess. There is years of greasy build-up. I have tried scrubbing with scrubbers, brushes, pot scrubbers, and every cleaning product I can think of. Nothing helped. Any ideas on how to get to the base finish on these old wood doors? Thanks.

By K. H.

Best Answer

Good old bicarbonate of soda is always worth a try, it shifts most greasy stuff, just use it as a scouring powder with a damp cloth.

Best Answer

Ammonia has always amazed me with it's grease-cleaning capabilities. Dilute it, put some gloves on, open a window, and scrub away. Then rinse/wipe it off.

Another wonderful product is TSP...tri sodium phosphate. It's what you use when you want to get rid of nicotine buildup, and that is way worse than grease. You can get it in powder or liquid form. Good Luck!

Have you tried paint thinner? After all that it would be worth a shot use it with a 000 steel wool you get in paint dept and it should come on off. won't leave a greasy film that paint won't adhere or stain either. You also might want to try the helpful folks at Lowe's or Homedepot.

I use Sun and Earth cleaner in my kitchen. It's all natural (citrus oils) so you don't have to worry about it getting on surfaces where food is prepared. It is excellent at cutting through grease and it smells like fresh juicy oranges!

Oven cleaner-like EZ Off. Wear gloves and have plenty of ventilation. Do a small section at a time. This will take a lot of elbow grease.

What you might have, instead of greasy cabinets, is the finish is "melting." If there is varnish on the cabinets, it eventually starts to degrade from the dirt, grime and grease, that has been left on the cabinets.

Wow! I never knew this Sharon and I have worked a Paint Department for thirty five years. Sounds logical to me.

So many responses, so soon. Thank you all for your help. I have tried some of these but some are new. Blessin's everyone!

That Magic Eraser works really well! Try it.

I'm having the same issues in a 1960's era home. The cabinets are so sticky with greasy grime! There are several new suggestions here, I haven't seen before. I'll give them a try. Thanks!

Try Easy Off Oven Cleaner in the Blue Can. Only allow to stay on for a minute as it will remove the paint also. I spray on then almost immediately I wipe it off again. Rinse with clear water afterwards.

cleaning grease off kitchen cabinets
Cleaning Grease from Kitchen Cabinets
Home and Garden Cleaning KitchenJuly 15, 2011
Pink and red daisies in a clear glass vase.
Cleaning Buildup Inside a Vase
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄