Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers

Category Bathroom
If you can sew, crochet, or knit you can make toilet tank and lid covers to dress up the bathroom. This is a guide about making toilet tank/lid covers.

Lace Toilet Tank Topper - Cut piece of lace.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Recycle a lace curtain into a pretty toilet tank topper. This is a guide about how to make a lace toilet tank topper.

Denim Toilet Seat and Tank Covers - Toilet seat cover made from denim.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Using lightweight denim scraps, lace, and a doily you too can make this toilet seat and tank cover set. This is a guide about how to make denim toilet seat and tank covers.

I need advice on how to sew a toilet tank cover. Not the top, but the large piece that holds the water. I have made a pattern for the seat cover and tank cover, but not quite sure about the actual tank. Thanks in advance.

By Beverly from Phoenix, AZ

Measure the sides and front of the toilet tank, then cut a rectangle a couple of inches larger. Attach elastic from the top corner of the rectangle end to the opposite corner, at the opposite end. Now do the same thing for the bottom corners, and you have a nice tank cover. To cover the lid, measure the width and length of the lid, and add three inches each to the width and length. Sew elastic around the edges and you're done. Make a lid cover by simply tracing the size of the lid onto newspaper, then cutting the fleece two inches larger, all the way around. Sew elastic all the way around the edge and your tank set is complete. Good luck.

Be careful that your tank does not sweat, which most of them do. You might want to go to a fabric store and find the panels that are already elasticized so that you can make an "instant skirt" with the seam up the back?

Then, just measure the top to bottom dimensions, cut and hem, then attach a piece of elastic from one side to the other, stretch that along the back of the tank just below where you put the lid on. Measure the elastic, cut and sew to the other side. Your tank if pretty and covered, but not so close to the porcelain that your fabric gets damaged. Hope that helps!

I was trying to 'quickly' do the same thing. I came up with this idea, which saved time, and let me change tank covers as often as I wanted.(which is at least once a week, to keep my hubby crazy!) Measure around tank from one side to the other, where you want cover.

Make sure your tank is clean and dry. Using 'superglue', glue velcro down each side(or at least in 2 spots). Use fabric glue(or sew) the opposite velcro pieces on your fabric. You can then put in on/off in seconds, and it washes well!

I need to know how to make a cover for the top of a toilet tank. I am making a cover of fabric for the lid to match a cover for the toilet seat, which I have already made. Thanks.

By Jodie from Kerrville, TX