Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How to Make Grocery Store Rotisserie Chicken

I am looking for a recipe to cook a whole chicken that would taste like the cooked supermarket chickens that you can buy. They are always very flavorful and not dry. Thank you.

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By John (Guest Post)10/21/2008

I asked myself the same question and I learned the answer myself.

I love grocery store rotisserie chickens - they are not dry like a normal roasted chicken. I bought a rotisserie for my charcoal grill and the first few chickens turned out just like a roasted chicken. When I looked at the chicken I noticed that some of the fat was still there. This led me to think that my temperature wasn't hot enough for long enough time. The next chicken I did at 400-425 for about 3-4 hours (as opposed to 350 for 1.5-2 hours). Whala, just like the grocery store. The only seasoning/rub I did was a bit of salt and pepper.

The key here is to use a rotisserie and don't be afraid of a high indirect heat for 3-4 hours. That's the point of the rotisserie - melt the fat and rotate the bird so it bastes in its own juices! I love it!

By Jess [118]10/09/2007

My Costco sells them for $4.99 and they are always over 3 lbs. I rarely see whole chickens for cheaper than this. Costco, which tends to have great meat prices, charges $1.99 lb for raw whole chickens. So I just buy the cooked ones. I can usually get a meal for my family of four plus enough leftover chicken for soup or something. I always make chicken broth out of the carcass too.

If I do find cheaper chickens, I'm going to try that crockpot and foil idea. Sounds like it is the easiest way to reproduce it without a rotisserie.

jess

By Idaho Mom (Guest Post)10/09/2007

When I worked at our local deli. We did 15 or so at a time. We always used fresh whole chickens. Rinsed them well. And we used different rubs such as lemon pepper, bbq, etc. rubbed those birds down well, then slipped them on a metal racks. The rack was placed in a special oven where they roasted for 4 hrs. The oven was specially equiped so produced alot of steam, and the oven sealed tight. So its slow roasting with high steam. I just figured for the cost of fresh chicken, and what places like Sams, Costco or walmart sell them for already prepared. You can't beat the price for a quick fairly healthy home cooked type meal.

RE: How to Make Grocery Store Rotisserie Chicken

By Barbara (Guest Post)10/08/2007

It's important to brine the chicken overnight. Use 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup sugar in enough water to cover. We use a Margarita mix plastic bucket. Rinse chicken thoroughly next day. Dry with paper towels well. Marinate in a good Italian dressing and sprinkle lemon pepper on liberally. We cook it on the grill or in a clay pot or just oven. Comes out flavorful and juicy. A man handing out samples at Sam's told us this recipe.

By Melissa (Guest Post)10/08/2007

This is a Weight Watchers idea. Ball up four pieces of tin foil and place in bottom of crockpot. Sprinkle Mrs. Dash seasoning of choice on and in whole chicken. Place chicken on foil and cook on low until done. So good!

By Lisa (Guest Post)10/05/2007

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roast- ... Chicken-Rotisserie-Style/Detail.aspx

This is recipe you want, if you are looking for rotisserie type chicken. It is absolutely fantastic, even if you skip the step of leaving it sit overnight. I never made a whole chicken until I tried this recipe, and I can't imagine using any other.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: What makes grocery store rotisserie chickens taste good?

How do they get the rotisserie chickens from the grocery store to be so flavorful? Are they injected with something? If anyone has any information on this I would sure like to know about it.

Thanks, Joan from Chesterfield, MI

RE: What makes grocery store rotisserie chickens taste good?

I use to have a farberware rotisserie. I just put on the chicken and sprinkle on season salt. As the chicken turns it bastes itself. Juicy on the inside, crisp on the outside! (05/19/2007)

By Andi6

Try this recipe, you don't even need a rotisserie. When it says let it sit over night... I never do that and it still turns out great. http://www.recipezaar.com/8782 (05/19/2007)

By halloweenfreak

I always thought they soaked the chicken in a brine before putting on the rotisserie....it makes it very moist but it also increases the sodium level. (05/19/2007)

By K

They are injected with salt water. If you look at chicken in the frozen section (or sometimes even fresh) you'll notice a lot of times now it says a certain percentage of water is added. This makes it "moist" but also adds to the weight of NON meat you are buying.

I love the rotisserie chickens, but thank goodness my husband doesn't like them too much, they are so high in sodium!!! I like a beer can chicken on the grill or in the oven myself. It doesn't even have to be beer, a half can of soda will work too, just adds to the moisture. (05/21/2007)

By michawnpita

I used to work at Wal-Mart and what we did to the chicken was inject it in both sides of the breast and both legs with marinade and then put it on the rotisserie to cook (05/21/2007)

By barfydoogin

Probably msg or something like that. Whatever it is, it isn't good for you! (05/22/2007)

By cookwie

I used to work at Brunos and the chickens would come in frozen and I would slide them on a rod. We had 4 spices, garlic, bbq, Pepper, and butter. You would then rub the spices in with your gloved hands until chicken is completely covered. They roasted 4 hours. Hope this helps. Its not hard to do at home, if you buy some spices from wal mart or dollar5 general (05/22/2007)

By Heather Roberts``

If you take a chicken and season it. I use garlic and herb dry soup mix. Then you make four or five balls of aluminum foil. Place the balls in the bottom of a crockpot. Turn the chicken breast side down and cook on low 5-8 hours depending on size of chicken it will fall off the bone and be delicious. See below link

http://www.farmersalmanactv.com/newsletters/may/kitchen.html

Have a Blessed Day Joy (05/22/2007)

By joy

A few years ago, I bought one of those TV rotisserie Chicken cookers and discovered it dried out the meat. Experimenting, I tried injecting lemon juice into the meat. This worked fine but for a final touch, I waited until the Chicken was almost finished cooking and then I basted with Honey. Later, I realized that ordinary oven cooked Chickens were just as good and retained moisture if the chicken was placed inside a pan and covered as well as basted regularly. To Brown the meat, I simply removed the cover.

Good Luck with your own Chicken BBQ! (05/22/2007)

By human4us

I think they taste so good because I don't have to cook it! LOL (05/22/2007)

By JMRoss

I am a manager of a deli/bakery in a grocery store. There are no tricks to our rotisserie chickens , fresh chickens, Lawrys season salt and 3 hours at 350 My customers rant and rave over my fantastic moist rotisserie chicken! (05/22/2007)

By dottyj

I've never made a rotisserie chicken, so I've never wondered how they were made. I do know after I had surgery almost 4 years ago, if it wasn't for the local Walmart having their rotisserie chickens, supper here would have been bad. My hubby would get off work & stop by Walmart, grab a rotisserie chicken, a bag of salad mix & some rolls, about 2-3 times a week. It helped me out immensely & was a quick meal. Now, sometimes we buy the rotisserie chickens several at a time, take them home, pull the meat off the bones, chop & freeze in 2 cup servings of chicken in ziplocs. This comes in really handy. Just empty a bag of chicken into some BBQ sauce & toss for quicky BBQ chicken, to heated, as is or on sandwiches with pickle slices & onion, mmmm. Or tossed into a pot of homemade soup, or make into a pot of chicken & dumplings, or tossed into a casserole. The possibilities are endless. Rotisserie chickens have certainly been a God Send to us! (05/22/2007)

By badwater

they are marinated in Honey and SoySauce and then cooked..you can read the label on some of the chickens and I've done it to a few chickens only I place mine in the oven all wrapped up in aluminum foil until the chickens are done and they taste the same as the ones you buy already done.. (05/25/2007)

By Louise

Remember that most non-organic chickens are injected with "up to 15% Phosphates", according to the TV commercials and labeling. Along with preserving, the phosphates set off an addiction and craving for whatever it's in. Read all labels before eating or serving to your family.

Also, WHEY and GLUTEN are two of the most serious offenders which contribute to BELLY FAT. I've just lost 15 lb. and 15 inches by avoiding them and eating healthy as a lifestye. Still got 30 lb. to go to reach my goal.

God bless you. : ) (05/28/2007)

By Lynda

I have a Sunbeam rotisserie and I love it! Sprinkle chicken with whatever spices you like...Lawreys, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper and spray/baste with butter and it is fantastic! Juicy and nicely browned....course the skin is the best..not so healthy tho! (05/29/2007)

By

I picked one up tonight a nice lemon pepper one oh YUM! I think it is the way its cooked. After we had dinner, I de boned it and freeze it for chicken taco night later in week..... It is a quick meal and many uses with leftovers, chicken tacos, chicken sandwiches, chicken salad, chicken with pasta. you get the idea... and I agree with the comment "tastes good because you don't have to cook it' makes it taste better. (06/05/2007)

By meoowmom