Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds

Don't let your beautiful flower bed be overrun by weeds. This is a guide about preventing weeds in flower beds.

multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 6, 2014 Flag

I've tried the newspaper, mulch, digging by hand; all in vain. After building our house, I had a roll of leftover brown paper like they use to protect your floors while building. I used this on one of my flower beds as an experiment. I used the traditional hand weed pulling, newspaper, mulch method on the rest of them. After three years, the bed with the brown paper stays nearly weed free, while the other beds have continued to be heavily infested from weeds after just two months!

I am currently looking out the window at one of my beds totally consumed with grass and weeds, after spending two days pulling weeds and mulching just two months ago! Today, I am doing another experiment. I am going to lay the brown, thick kraft paper over the entire bed, while cutting it around the shrubs and plants, then covering that with 4 inches of pine needles. Hopefully, this will smother the weeds and grass without having to pull them all by hand. I'll let you all know how it works!

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 25, 2006 Flag

Question:

How can I, a physically disabled women, keep grass and weeds out of my front flower bed (consisting of over 200 gladiola bulbs). The flower bed is surrounding my front deck. Also, I have many other plants and flowers throughout the yard? The grass, weeds and wire grass just about ate them all up this past year.

There is too much demand on our watering supply to water daily, so I had a deep layer of mulch (that the bulbs wear planted/set into which would and did retain the moisture for the flowers). pulling weeds

I hired help to plant the bulbs in mulch that had been sitting for a two to four years BUT the grass, weeds etc. came up making the flower beds looking nasty/dirty and unkept.

I do not recall my grandparents having any trouble with their bulbs being over run by grass and weeds. Perhaps I was too young to notice them out daily weeding to notice why their flower beds always looked fantastic!

Please help with some sort of deterrent for me to use for this problem.

Laying a layer of water soaked newspaper and covering it with more mulch was suggested to stop the weeds/grass from growing. I haven't tried this yet, has anyone of you done this sort of thing or anything else to be a deterrent to weeds & grass growing in the flower beds?

Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated and used next spring in 2007 as I am sure that the over 200 gladiola bulbs will nearly double (or I am hoping they will).

Thanks and God bless you & yours.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Paula

Answer:

Hi Paula,

Smothering weeds by using layers of newspapers, cardboard or a thick layer of mulch is certainly one suggestion I would recommend for keeping your plantings from becoming overrun by weeds. If you use organic mulch, like wood chips, leaves, pine needles or compost, you'll need to apply it at least 3 to 4 inches thick and select a type of material that will neutralize the pH of your soil. I would avoid using straw, because it often contains weed seeds, which will only make your job that much harder.

Another strategy you might consider is to crowd out the weeds by planting a ground cover once your glad bulbs pop through. Not only will a ground cover help crowd out the weeds and prevent them from getting sun, but the right ground cover plants will also provide some interest until your gladiolus get into full swing. You might even consider trying a dwarf grass for this purpose.

There are also several lightweight tools available that are designed specifically to make gardening chores easier for the physically disabled. These include long-handled tools with clip-on, twist-on or snap-on heads that allow gardeners to work from a seated position. Many come with cushioned, adjustable handles that are ergonomically designed for a firm, stress-free grip. A long-handled cutter or shears would allow you to keep the weeds trimmed down around your bulbs for a tidier look.

Another option I would urge you to consider is to contact your county extension agency about the possibility of getting help from your county or state's Master Gardener program. These programs are often looking for volunteer gardening opportunities for their members to participate in. Other groups that may be able to offer you volunteer assistance are 4-H groups, Boy Scout or Girl Scout Troops, school groups or church groups.

Finally, here is a good link to information on gardening for the disabled.

http://livingwell.tripod.com/handigardning.html

Ellen

May 3, 2008 Flag

How can I safely get rid of weeds in my flower beds?

Wilda Scott

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I tried boiling water some time back, and it definitely works, but there's a problem. You'll kill the earthworms!

Last year, I got pieces of cardboard wet (soak them with water), and cover the weeds with them. Make sure the weeds aren't exposed to sunlight. This year, my garden is almost weed-free! I have lots of earthworms, too, and the soil has improved a million times over!

If you have bare dirt and enough room between your plants, a hoe will cut off seedlings below the ground and they won't come back. I find a Hula Hoe (or wiggle hoe) more fun and easier to use, but it offers less control, so I don't use it close to my desired plants.

For bindweed, which comes back no matter how deep I dig it, I take a cheap artist's paint brush and brush Round-up generously on all the leaves on a sunny day. The Round-Up (or equivalent) is taken up by the leaves and drawn down to the roots, where it (hopefully!) will kill the weed, without harming its neighbors. I don't like using poisons, but I think this is an appropriate time to use it judiciously.

I agree with momma red and KBlueyes. I cover the area with either plastic, or cardboard or rocks. It kills weeds and grass underneath without getting nasty chemicals in your ground water which eventually goes to your waterways, the fish, and your drinking water. Studies are showing that municipal filtration does not remove many chemicals, so we have to think about what we use in the soil and garden. There is a trend toward encouraging "rain gardens" to filter water going to waterways. No chemicals should be used.

Covering with cardboard, old carpet, plastic, or newspapers is called soil solarization and will kill pathogens in soil prior to planting crops.

Here is something from about.com:

Cover the raked, moistened area with a clear polyethylene sheet. The edges of the sheet can be held down by cinder blocks to keep the plastic from blowing away. If the raking I had you do above was done diligently enough, there will be no sharp objects sticking up to puncture the plastic. "The plastic can be clear construction grade plastic and vary in thickness from 1 to 6 mils," writes Carl Strausbaugh, University of Idaho. In the Northern Hemisphere, the best time for soil solarization is June and July, when the sun's at its peak. Keep the sheet tightly stretched out over the area for 4-6 weeks. During that time, the sun will be killing weeds for you -- "cooking" them before they have a chance to sprout! Plant pathogens will be killed, to boot.

Now you truly have a "clean slate" with which to work. Remove the plastic and lay down landscape fabric.

Hey Wilda: This is a very good question! "Safely" being the key word. Our company recently wrote an article on just this topic.

We have found that the best solution is actually a combination of tactics. I would suggest laying down professional-grade landscape fabric and then spray only as needed. If possible, we like to use "drip" irrigation for shrubs so that weeds have less of a chance to grow in between plants.

If you are interested, here is the link to the article: http://www.stacklandscape.com/flower-beds.html

Hope that helps! -Thomas

Read More Answers...

August 27, 2013 Flag

What can I do? I have lots of weeds with my flowers. What can I do to get rid of the weeds, but not flowers?

By Gail

I have found that putting vinegar in a spray bottle and spraying the weeds as close to the root as possible really helps! This changes the PH factor and causes the roots to die :-) won't be toxic to your pets if they go into your garden either!

March 26, 2010 Flag

Is there any weed and feed that can be sprayed on flower beds?

By Moucheninette from Perth, TAS

Do you already have the flowers up or do you want to spray the ground before you plant the flowers?I do not know of a spray you can use after the flowers are up.Good luck.

Thank you for your feed back, I didn't think it would be that easy, will have to do it the hard way.

June 24, 2012 Flag

The thistles in my flower garden are certainly competing with the flowers this year. If I were trying to grow thistles, I'd be quite successful! What can I use to get rid of these pesky plants that won't harm the good flowers and our pets?

By Lois C.

Since most thistles spead by both seeds and roots, you need to kill the entire plant and to also cut off the bloom before it can seed. Spray carefully just the thistles with a thistle killer - it take special products designed to kill thistles. Make a shield out of paper or cardboard so only the thistles at hit by the spray. Now the bad news. It may take several years to complete rid yourself of them.

June 27, 2011 Flag

I am having trouble with kosha weeds and sunflowers taking over my wildflower garden patch. Are there any other alternatives to hand weeding?

By Krys

Next year prepare your garden in the winter by spraying with weed killer, remove dead plants and cover with plastic tarp. Check under the tarp and if weeds are coming back from seed repeat the process until no weeds return.

This won't totally do away with weeds but will help keep from having so many.

May 11, 2010 Flag

This is a question that's been asked for centuries I'm sure. I am so impressed with some of your tips that I just HAD to ask! I love my garden but I can see myself weeding it perpetually. I always get the roots, but is there a tip or trick to discourage weeds in our garden?

It's a flower garden not a veggie garden. We have a rose bush, Tiger Lillies and Wandering Jews. Thanks!

Jim in FL

Answers:

Preventing Weeds In a Flower Garden

Last year I tried Preen and it worked great! You just have to get rid of all the weeds first. It only prevents seeds from germinating, so you have to get the roots too or put it down early in the spring. (05/27/2005)

By Donna J.

Preventing Weeds In a Flower Garden

I tried something new this year that has helped a lot. I laid plain brown paper over the parts of the flower bed that were going to have mulch on them ultimately. Some use newspaper. If you use bricks, stones, etc. on the edges of the bed, you can tuck the paper under the edges, then cover the paper with 4+ " of mulch. This cuts down on weeding and eventually the paper will decompose. (I buy dog food in 40# bags and the inside of the bags are perfect for this.) Good luck! (06/25/2005)

By Les in IL

Preventing Weeds In a Flower Garden

I have heard about vinegar. Just regular household vinegar. You spray it right on the weed. Our yard is infested, so I'm going to try it this year. (05/28/2009)

By Allison5

October 8, 2006 Flag

There is too much demand on our watering supply to water daily, so I had a deep layer of mulch (that the bulbs wear planted/set into which would and did retain the moisture for the flowers).

Thanks and God bless you & yours.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

Paula

Answers:

Keeping Weeds out of Flower Beds

That was going to be my suggestion... using newspapers to help block the weeds. This fall, I'd suggest cutting the weeds as short as possible. If you wait until the glad foliage dies back you can cut them down too. Then just lay a 4-6 sheet layer of black/white newspaper over the area, water it down and then mulch with chopped leaves or shredded bark about 3" deep. If you have other perennials, then you would want to lay the newspaper around those plants before mulching. I use this method all the time, and can really kick myself when I don't. It usually lasts me 12-16 months before I start to notice weeds again. I have one bed that just has a few shrubs, so I used a much thicker layer of newspaper and it has been two years since I put down the newspaper under the mulch. You may still have weed seeds drop into the bed, but they are very easy to pull if the sprout in the mulch.

If you have a lot of creeping weeds, make sure you edge the bed with some sort of barrier. I like metal edging, but plastic works too if you don't have to compete with any tree roots. (09/14/2006)

By adina72

Keeping Weeds out of Flower Beds

If you can deprive the weed seeds of light, they wont be able to sprout. Newspapers are great for this. They are what I use. Some people purchase a plastic made for this purpose. Plastic doesnt break down after several years and need to be replaced. (09/15/2006)

By Carol in PA

September 10, 2006 Flag

Over the past several years I have become very careful with the environment and what pesticides and the like can do.

When I want to make another flower bed, instead of spraying roundup, I put down several layers of newspaper and plant the items, and then mulch. Works everytime and is much safer.

By Sandie Jones

Answers:

Keeping Weeds out of Flower Beds

Be careful if you use newspapers around your house's foundation and walls. The papers on the ground could attract termites. These termites could possibly transfer over to the wooden structure of the house and make it one of their snacks! (09/22/2005)

By P.

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsFebruary 21, 2012
    A nicely planted organic vegetable garden.
    Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden
    Flower Beds
    Killing Weeds in Flower Beds
    Hand picking weeds
    Controlling Weeds Organically
    Gravel Driveway
    Preventing and Killing Weeds in Gravel
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 25, 2016 at 1:08:57 AM on 10.0.2.107 in 824 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.