Flowering Plants May Be Weeds

This plant with pretty purple flowers popped up in my garden this year, and I never planted it. When I went to the garden center, I found out it is called purple loosestrife, and is very invasive. The person I spoke to said to be very wary when things you didn't plant pop up in your garden!

I just read that, indeed, this plant is highly invasive. The plant spreads to new areas by means of seed dispersal. One plant can produce as many as 2 million seeds per year. You might want to Keep all blooms picked before they set seed.

The stems were woody, so I had to use my heavy duty pruning tool. I cut as
Close to the ground as I could get. I packed the plants in a sealed garbage bag and threw them out. I couldn't dig up the roots. I'll be watching out for new growth.

2-4,D amine is a very effective weed killer and should eradicate any new growth. The residual effects can last for quite a while. For that reason, in small, select areas, I have switched to household bleach. It too, is very effective without long term issues.

Thanks! Good to know!

It's a shame it is so invasive because it is a lovely plant.
Marg from England.

This pretty little plant is not just invasive, it's a dangerous plant. Don't just cut it to the ground - yank that thing out. The minute you see one, get it out of your garden. i speak from some experience. You might want to read this article which also tells you how to control them.

www.seagrant.umn.edu/.../purpleloosestrife_info

Thank you, Linda. I have just about eliminated it from the garden. For the first time this summer I found a couple of shoots. They were very young, and easily pulled out.

I used the bleach as Doug suggested, and thats how I got rid of it.