Preventing Weeds In a Flower Garden

How do I stop weeds in my flower beds? I pull them up, turn the soil over, and within two weeks they are back with vengeance.

By Nix from England

You can plant lot of small glad bulbs & flowers to choke out the grass & weeds or do as we did with my garden. We made a 30x20 foot garden in our back yard with plastic and cement blocks. You do not have to remove grass. Put down plastic or a thick layer of news papers, and place cement blocks on top around the edge of the space. Then, fill it with composted manure. You have a garden without weeds or grass for years. Add more compost as needed every year. I get manure from Lowe's in 40 pound bags, I have a garden all the year, I also make flower beds the same way.
Good luck.

I believe the composted manure over paper or plastic will work 2 years the most, because weed seeds flowing in the air will sooner or later germinate in the manure as well as wherever else there is organic matter. Anyhow, as we said in NY., that's been my experience. Yes, there's no rest for the weary!

I have a black thumb, but I squirted some plain apple cider vinegar on a weed that was growing between some bricks and in two days it was gone.

I don't know what would happen if you used it around flowers; would the flowers die too?