Using Yeast in a Bread Machine

Does it matter if you use rapid rise yeast or regular active yeast in your bread maker? The manual doesn't specify. One recipe site recommended to add water to your active yeast before adding to your machine.

I'm trying to become a "professional" before the holidays. I'm trying to make some thrifty gifts so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Crystal from VA

I have been making homemade bread for years. I know that regular yeast works very well in these recipes. If the recipe does not specify rapid rise yeast, don't use it. It will give the bread a fluffier texture. There are recipes for bread machine use. Try them out before you start making changes.

Do not try to use the rapid rise unless your machine has a setting for this type of yeast. If you use it on a regular bread setting the bread will rise too high and then start to fall in the center before it starts to bake. Keep the yeast away from the liquids in the pan and make sure to bring all your ingredients to room temperature prior to starting your machine unless it has a warming cycle. From a financial standpoint, as you are trying to be thrifty, Sam's club sells a 2 pack of 1 pound bricks of yeast for not much more than a 4 ounce jar at the grocery store. In my area $4.24 compared to $3.99. I prefer to spend the extra 24 cents and give a pound away. Best price on bread flour in my area too. Good luck with the bread.

I use the instant yeast in my bread machine & I add ingredients per my bread machine directions. Not all bread machines have you add various ingredients in same order so read your manual. When I use the instant yeast, I use 1-1/2 TBSP instant yeast or 1 pkt of reg. yeast. When you use instant yeast (which you can find at Sam's Club stores or maybe even your grocery store)

You don't have to worry about the water temp being at a certain degree. I let machine do all the work, using the dough only setting then form loaf, put in loaf pan, let rise & bake in regular oven. I think it comes out better tasting plus it is not all square of odd shape or dried out but more like a regular size loaf. I have a Sunbeam bread machine.

Yes, it matters. Use regular yeast NOT rapid rise.

Yeast rises better if you add a pinch of sugar to it, and a very small pinch of ginger. You won't get any flavor just helps yeast rise a bit better. My bread machine does not call for adding water to the yeast before putting it in the machine.

Nancy

I recently broke my dough hooks so had to use my bread machine for a recipe using quick rise yeast. I put all the liquids in first and then everything else as if the recipe were for a bread machine, with the yeast going in last. I put it on the dough selection for half an hour and then removed it and proceeded according to the recipe. It turned out great and I did not have to do anything different to the yeast. Most of my recipes also use a little sugar and that also helps the yeast. Good Luck.

Yeast for Baking
Buying and Using Yeast for Baking
Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadNovember 13, 2009
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Sweet Bread
Sweet Bread Machine Recipes
No-Knead Yeast Bread
No-Knead Yeast Bread Recipes
🎉
🎄