Use Deferred Billing When Ordering Online

By alexa 2

When online shopping, I use the "defer billing code". That gives me the time to receive the products and review the products-condition of, it's what I ordered etc.

If its clothing, time for trying on to make sure it fits right, what I ordered etc.
Then if I need to return an item, it can be returned before my credit card is charged. The online store you bought from will not charge you for that item if you return it before the date the deferred billing period ends.

Often the companies give you three months before charging your card. You will have to pay the cost of shipping and handling when returning items but, to me, that is a small price to pay compared to the cost of having it charged to my card. Instead of having, say, $20.00 charged to my card and then having to wait for it to be credited back into my account, I prefer to pay a few dollars for shipping it back, keeping the money in my account and avoiding a whole bunch of hassle.

Some companies even include a return label for you to use. The package is then mailed out by the post office and on receiving it the company will charge your card for only the shipping and handling.

By alexa/wildrose from DE USA

Filter Sort

By Cyinda 214 1,287 Flag

Thank you for posting this! ... I had never given it a second thought... & I'm always the one complaining the loudest when I end up with something that comes broken or working improperly... Next time I'll follow your advice!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Cajun 59 327 Flag

Where is the 'Defer Billing Code'? I don't think I've seen this feature on any of the sites...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Finding Deferred Billing Codes

By Dani9221 1

I am looking for deferred billing codes for Spiegel, Chadwicks, Newport News, Metrostyle or any other websites you may know of a deferred billing code. Thank you!

By Dani

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Amy Singh 3 117 Flag

There aren't many deferred billing codes left. Many companies that used to offer deferred billing stopped after the credit card rules changed. They only offer deferred billing only if you hold a credit card for their specific store. You'll have better luck with discount codes. I often do a Google search with the store's name and the word coupon. Also many companies give codes on facebook if you "like" their facebook page.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

A woman typing in a credit card number for an online shopping purchase.
Online Shopping Tips
Budget & Finance ShoppingJuly 28, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
bulb catalog sign
Ordering From Garden Catalogs
Online Shopping Tips
Hand Cart With Box That Reads Free Shipping
Saving Money on Shipping Charges
A woman kneading pizza dough.
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 12:07:30 PM on 10.0.0.217 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsComments
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings