What is This Houseplant?

I am reposting this again because I still can't find out what the name of this hanging plant is. I am pretty sure I purchased it at Home Depot or Lowe's here in Portland. The stems are long and very sturdy. It has flowered twice and each time with just one flower. Some people are suggesting it is from the honeysuckle family. Please help.

By Susan from Happy Valley (Portland), Oregon

How about a Bird of Paradise plant perhaps?

I've got one of these. It's a Lipstick Plant.

lipstick plant

I believe you've got a Cape Honeysuckle. A pretty hardy plant which if planted outside can get pretty big, but those lovely orange sets are so cheery and the hummers love them!

Yes, lipstick plant it is. Relative of honeysuckle, grows fabulously outdoors, and as aloham58 says, the hummie-birds jes luv 'em! Interesting. I've never seen one growing indoors! Usually outdoors, vines ofttimes covering fences or lattice or somehing. And the blossoms are quite profuse.

You're in Oregon, Susan...I'm in California. I've seen them plentiful on the Coast (Santa Barbara thru San Luis Obispo an' more) but now live in Tehachapi, in the mountains, 4000+' elevation and we have them here as well. The sea-level Coast has salt air, here we have snow and the plants seem to really thrive no matter where I've seen 'em growing.

For more info, if you don't have any local nurseries that can help you might try 'Googling' lipstick plant--or go to AskJeeves.com or some such site. I know there are lotsa sites that can help. I can't think of any right off tho. Good luck...an' I hope you can get your beautiful plant to continue in good health. It truly is a gorgeous plant!

Definitely Aeschynanthus splendidus.

March 10, 2011 Flag

What is This Houseplant?
Here is another houseplant I am trying to make root again. I cannot find this anywhere. Every 6 months or so, one bloom pops up. The bloom lasts a long time. Anyone out there have a clue for me?

By Susan from Happy Valley, Oregon

Here is a photo of the stem and leaves

It is in a hanging basket. The stems are very sturdy and long. I have been able to root it and replant it - I just need to know how to make it flower more often. (01/16/2011)

By Erskine83

Here is a photo of the stem and leaves

What is This Houseplant?

Could it be a Lipstick vine gone nuts? It is beautiful, congratulations on your green thumb! (01/18/2011)

By jabsgram

What is This Houseplant?

I want to say this is a goldfish plant. We used to sell them in the local florist shop, but being that was over 30 years ago, my mind isn't sure. lol It is beautiful. :-) (01/21/2011)

By pcgranny

What is This Houseplant?

Not a bromeliad, leaves are wrong. Not a lily or azalea either.

I believe it's in the same family as the goldfish plant and the lipstick vine, Columnea. I can't track down the exact species (there are 200+ and hybrids), but I did find a picture of one similar to yours here (text in Polish) http://www.swistak.pl/a5023706,Kolumnea-Columnea-liczne-pomaranczowe-kwiaty.html#zdjecia

If you want to know the exact species of your beauty, I'd suggest you join gardenweb.com and post your picture in the Gesneriad forum and ask for an ID and care advice. (01/21/2011)

By Contester

What is This Houseplant?

Your plant is part of the lipstick family, but the name is Black Pagoda. It's hard to see from the photo, but are the undersides of the leaves deep maroon/purple? I had one up until a week ago, I finally had to get rid of it after a deadly exposure to the hot summer sun this past summer.

Your plant likes to grow on the dry side, it likes lots of bright light, and will bloom in the spring and fall. Have fun with it, enjoy. It's a beauty. (01/26/2011)

By maidinmontana

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsMarch 10, 2011
Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana
Growing Succulents
Crown of Thorns
Growing a Crown of Thorns
Dracaena Tree
Pruning a Dracaena or Dragon Tree
A woman watering a houseplant.
Identifying a Houseplant