Lawn Mower Woes: Starter Cord Won't Pull

Recently I bought a new Briggs and Stratton 550 series push mower. I pulled it out, assembled it, put oil and gas in, and primed it. When I went to pull the starter cord, it wouldn't budge. Advice? Anything I missed? I followed the owners manual word for word.

By Silas

I rewound the starter assembly and bolted everything back together. I pulled the cord and the mower would start and the cord would get stuck in the assembly and make a chattering noise and I have to shut the mower off. What's my problem?

If you've mowed before and then have problems pulling the cord to get it started, it could be that your mower needs cleaned from underneath where the blade turns. When mowing damp grass, it tends to cake around the bottom and it dries up making it hard for the blade to turn which locks up the pulling cord. Turn your mower sideways and see if it needs cleaning. Scrape off all dried up grass, then try to start up as usual. Should do the trick. Good Luck! Handy-Mama

I recently bought a Troy Bilt self propelled mower, model TB210. I experienced a similar problem, followed the assembly and set up instructions and the starter cord would come out about 5 inches and not budge. No knots in the cord, and I was holding the blade control bar against the upper handle, as instructed. I checked the blades and realized that I did not extend the handle bar as much as I needed to. There was still about six inches of handle bar extending into the rotating blade area and it was preventing me from pulling the starter cord out fully. Once I readjusted the ends of the handle bar I had no problem.

Thanks for the help! My problem was because the handles weren''t properly aligned. Once I pulled them up out of the way of the blade and adjusted them as instructed, voila, the lawnmower started.

The assembly in the owners manual failed to say the mower ships with the handle extended down into the blade. You have to remove the lower bolts to pull the handle out and refasten it so that it is no longer blocking the blades.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 22, 2011
pull start mower
Repairing a Lawnmower Cord
Man Fixing Mower
Mower Won't Start
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
sourdough starter
Sourdough Starter Recipes
🎄